Level Options

ZNK

I am looking to see if anyone experienced has a recommendation for levels to help make sure my NEW rig is level in all directions. I have seen twqo different styles, not sure which is best. There is the straight kind that you mount on the sides of your coach or the circle kind that goes on the floor and measures in a 360 degree manner. Which do you recommend or which is best? Nothing worse than sleeping on a slanted bed!

Thanks!

Zack

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would buy the simple stick on bubble level that WalMart sells.
Once you level your coach, using a level on the floor of your rig, you can stick them on the side and front of the trailer to indicate level.
I would use a 4 foot level if you have one.

Peace
Dave

ZNK

Dave,

Have you ever tried one of the circle type levels?

I will need to get a 4 foot level, have always wanted/needed one around the house anyways. This will help with the initial installation of the levels. Personally I want to try to hide them in the storage compartments if possible. I think they look kind of ugly. But I am a perfectionist...

PhotoPete

ZNK, i simply use a 2' straight level. I place it on the floor first side to side, then once thats level, than front to back. I have never liked the look of stuck on bubbles. I toss the level in the storage bin and get busy with the beer.:rolleyes:

brlr2000

I have several different levels...Depending on where you 'test' for level, you may get completely different results. Some people say to put a circlar bubble-level in the freezer. I try to use a 2-foot level and I've tested on the counter top...the stove...the floor...and the frame. Each location can yeild a different result. I personally try to level the frame. This usually gives me the most consistent results.

PhotoPete

I have several different levels...Depending on where you 'test' for level, you may get completely different results. Some people say to put a circlar bubble-level in the freezer. I try to use a 2-foot level and I've tested on the counter top...the stove...the floor...and the frame. Each location can yeild a different result. I personally try to level the frame. This usually gives me the most consistent results.

this is a good point, however i have found that setting the level on the floor seems to be good enough for everything else. the refer will function just fine at that level of accuracy, and eggs don't seem to slide to one side either.

Sandpirate69

I have used a , I think it's 3 ft, level for a long time & still carry it. I bought an electric gadget that looks like a cross, even on all four sides, it has a light on each of the legs. If its uneven it lights up red, if its level it lights up green. i checked it against the level and it was right on the money. I put it right in the center of the floor of the rig & let it do its thing. But if you drop it, it may not work right. I usually check it against a level once a year on a level surface (certified DOT).

ZNK

I have used a , I think it's 3 ft, level for a long time & still carry it. I bought an electric gadget that looks like a cross, even on all four sides, it has a light on each of the legs. If its uneven it lights up red, if its level it lights up green. i checked it against the level and it was right on the money. I put it right in the center of the floor of the rig & let it do its thing. But if you drop it, it may not work right. I usually check it against a level once a year on a level surface (certified DOT).

I am definitely interested in this gadget. Do you have any details, name, etc on it?

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
I've got a couple of small stick ons that seem to work quite well. My brother in law uses a marble!
I don't try for perfect level though, I like the front just a tad high and from side to side, I like the slide out side a hair lower so rain drains away from the seal.

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
When our auto-level 'hiccups' or we need to re-calibrate it we use a small 12 inch level on the floor...works great! (I use it and holler at Dad what needs adjusting!)