corner cupboard over sink

herefishy

We took off the cabinet over the sink in the br and cut down the size of the sides so it wouldn't stick out so far, but now it has come back to bite us. Evidently the screws didn't go into interior studs, because it is starting to come down. The top has pulled away from the ceiling. Have it propped up on the sides, but does anyone have an idea for a fix?

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
don't know...each floorplan has strategically placed "backing boards" for hanging cabinets, etc. Changing location could mean you screwed into an area without a backer...not sure how you can fix that....

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
If you can't find the backing boards, perhaps you could use "butterfly" bolts to hold it on tight?:confused:

donr827

I believe that JIMTOO did the same thing to his 3055RL. Maybe the next time that he checks in he could add some information. If you do a search in Bighorn modifications you will find some more ideas. I want to do something with my 3055RL also.
Don

MTPockets

I posted this a few months ago: I removed mine entirely, then used the mirrored door from the cabinet on one wall, and added a second mirror on the other wall. The mirrors cover up the original mounting holes and looks pretty good. Remounted the light fixture above one mirror. We don't have the bedroom TV, so I built a cabinet that rests on top of the dresser.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
If you have paneling on that wall, take the moulding off, and remove that sheet of paneling so you can see what is there. Notch the studs or somehow add a piece of plywood to give you something to screw or nail to. Replace paneling and enjoy or cry over your work. I had to remove a sheet of paneling in the bath to move a light switch and it was no problem.

MTPockets

Anyone with the 3055Rl who is actually O.K. with that original cabinet? Maybe the factory guys can come up with a fix for that Albatross.

ChopperBill

Anyone with the 3055Rl who is actually O.K. with that original cabinet? Maybe the factory guys can come up with a fix for that Albatross.

The cabinet in our old "06" 3055 did not come out as far as the newer models. Maybe the factory has them in the parts dept and you can replace it with one of those.

herefishy

I think they're nice for us ladies, 'cause we can bend over closer to the sink - it was just hubby it drove crazy. Good idea about removing the wall, but think I'll wait till we're having some other work done by a pro. Have it propped up with 1x6 sittng on the sink for the time being.

jimtoo

I just went out and checked my walls around the bathroom cabinet. With a stud finder it shows to be all solid behind the cabinet where I checked just below it. Don't know if the whole area has a backer board or what, but I never had a problem.

Jim M

I believe that JIMTOO did the same thing to his 3055RL. Maybe the next time that he checks in he could add some information. If you do a search in Bighorn modifications you will find some more ideas. I want to do something with my 3055RL also.
Don

MTPockets

This should take you to the link of what I did with our cabinet, and a pic.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/28961-3055RL-Bedroom-sink-O-Head-cabinet?highlight=

herefishy

Thanks for the replies - wish I was handy enough to try them. Jim, I think our wall between the cabinet and the outside is pretty solid, at least with the "knocking" test. But the one into the bathroom feels hollow. I am going to get a stud finder that is better than my knuckle and check it out. The double mirror looks great, but we do set our TV on the chest, so don't want to lose that space. Might look for a cabinet that could go on the outside wall, since it seems solid. Meanwhile, we have this interesting pineboard paneling between the cabinet and the sink - LOL. Hope it stays in place while we travel

donr827

I am at the dealer having the a/c heat pump checked out. Walked around his stock of HL trailers. Went inside a Landmark San Antonio 2012. It has the same type of corner sink. The cabinet they use over the sink was smaller. The cabinet on the Landmark sticks out 14 1/2 inches while mine sticks out 16 1/2 inches. Would be some help but would like more.
Don

soilmovers

Are you saying they have not redesigned the cabinet over the bath sink? I complained about that 4 years ago and many agreed. How do you wash your face or brush your teeth without banging your head first thing in the morning??

MTPockets

Are you saying they have not redesigned the cabinet over the bath sink? I complained about that 4 years ago and many agreed. How do you wash your face or brush your teeth without banging your head first thing in the morning??

Nope... still a disaster - I found it unbelievable they would actually put that thing there.... I ripped mine down soon after using it the first time....