Emergency Exit Windows

airronda

I am the brand new owner of a North Trail 28 RBS (2013) and want to know if the emergency exit windows can also be opened and used as normal windows for ventilation. I see they have screens on them but I don't want to attempt to open them until I know for sure.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Airronda and welcome to the forum. This is the best place for information about your new Heartland product.
I don't know why you would want to use the Exit window for ventilation. It has no bug proof screen and you would have to prop it open.
It would be a good idea to open it to see how it works.

Peace
Dave

brianharrison

On my other units, I have had windows that doubled as regular opening window (with push out handle) and emergency exits (with two red clasps on the bottom of the window). They had a screen on them as well.

I would only use the window opening handle and not the emergency clasps.

Hope this helps.

Brian

gasman

Camp Socializer
Our BC has screens on the emergency windows. We open the bedroom window frequently using the center handle. It has a notch in it to hold it open.

Wharton

The emergency windows double as regular windows. As an emergency window when you pop it the entire window opens. As a regular window just the sliding part opens.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
The emergency windows double as regular windows. As an emergency window when you pop it the entire window opens. As a regular window just the sliding part opens.

Our Bighorn emergency windows work the same way.

DW & I attended a Life on Wheels conference a few years ago. When we attended the Pre-conference beginners classes they asked us how many have tried opening our emergency windows and more than half had not. The instructor told all of us to open them and make sure they work. The next day, out of about 20 people, 4-5 people said their window would not open. They also told us to actually open the emergency window and go out of it to see what it would be like. If we exited out of the bedroom that we (guys) should go out first then pull the picnic table, if one is available, up under the window to help our spouse out.

It would be intresting if there were an emergency information event at our Gillette Rally. Maybe Mac The Fire Guy could talk on this subject. Is he going to be at the Gillette Rally?

BC

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Guess I may have misunderstood the OP's question. Thought they wanted to swing the whole thing out, not just open the window.

Peace
Dave

RanCarr

I am the brand new owner of a North Trail 28 RBS (2013) and want to know if the emergency exit windows can also be opened and used as normal windows for ventilation. I see they have screens on them but I don't want to attempt to open them until I know for sure.

I have a 28BRS 2011 and we use it for ventilation all the time. In an emergency, it's too small and too high up for a senior to escape out. It would be the door or us or nothing. The one in the bunk area can be reached easily. Make sure you and your family know what to do in case of, and God forbid, a fire.

CliffP

I have a 28BRS 2011 and we use it for ventilation all the time. In an emergency, it's too small and too high up for a senior to escape out. It would be the door or us or nothing. The one in the bunk area can be reached easily. Make sure you and your family know what to do in case of, and God forbid, a fire.

Always a good idea to have a safety plan in place for the family while RVing or at home. All should know the options if they need to get out.

jbeletti

...It would be intresting if there were an emergency information event at our Gillette Rally. Maybe Mac The Fire Guy could talk on this subject. Is he going to be at the Gillette Rally?

Mac will be at the rally and he will spend time on emergency window egress.

jbeletti

More/Ryde recenty came out with a ladder that attaches under the over hang of the fifth wheel and pulls out to provide a ladder platform. I would worry about the clearence with the truck when towing and the idea that it would have to be deployed before hand.http://www.morryde.com/aftermarket/other-products/escape-ladder-72.html
Don

Gary Wheeler from Mor/ryde will have this ladder on display at the Gillette rally. Good chance for owners to ask him questions about it.