Propane Regualtor Not Switching

Barry Crocker

At the risk of starting a discussion that has already been addressed, which I can't find, here is my problem.

Both thanks are full.
Using the right tank (facing to front of rig).
Right tank goes empty but the regulator does not switch to the full left tank.
I turn off the right tank and switch the selector to the left.
Indicator still shows red.
Switch tanks, turn on right one that is full.
Propane bleeds through the regulator and out the disconnected left hose.
Fiddle with the regulator selector switch and everything seems to work fine.

We have a generator installed with a regulator in the right tank hose in addition to the main regulator.

I suspect a bad regulator. Any thoughts.

Thanks for any help.

danemayer

Barry,

If the indicator stays red when you switch the regulator to the full tank (make sure you look at the hoses to know which tank you're pointing at), that would perhaps confirm poor gas flow to or through the regulator. Could be a bad hose, or a bad regulator. Hoses are less expensive than regulators, so you might try that first. Just make sure you have LP pipe tape to seal the connections. Regular plumbing teflon tape won't work. After you're done, check for leaks with a soapy water solution.

As to gas leaking through the disconnected hose until you fiddle with the regulator, that argues that some gas flows toward the tank - but maybe not enough to run things, or maybe the flow is one way. If you point the regulator at the hose that's connected to the tank you're running off, it shouldn't leak any gas through the disconnected hose. That's what you do when you take one tank out for a refill while still using the other tank.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Before ruling the regulator bad, try this. Disconnect both LP Tanks and insure they both have fuel in them. You may have already done this. If so, completely disconnect the tanks anyway. Make sure the indicator switch is pointing to either tank. Reconnect the tanks and very slowly open both valves. Does the red pop up turn green?
If this doesn't solve the problem, the regulator may need replacing. You might be able to have it tested at a propane supplier/dealer.

rick_debbie_gallant

A friend in Texas this past winter couldnot figrue out why his was doing the same thing as yours. turns out he had the other tank going through a regulator. Once that was gone we tried it again. still the same problem. Turns out that one of the hoses was not tight enough and would not allow enough pressure to pop the change over from red to green.

danemayer

turns out he had the other tank going through a regulator.
Not positive, but I think the doorside tank is supposed to go through a regulator before the hose goes through the interior of the RV for safety reasons. If you took that regulator out permanently, you'd be running high pressure LP into the structure of the RV.

rick_debbie_gallant

Not positive, but I think the doorside tank is supposed to go through a regulator before the hose goes through the interior of the RV for safety reasons. If you took that regulator out permanently, you'd be running high pressure LP into the structure of the RV.

On his the hose went into rigid pipe and ran through the front storage compartment to the other side then hooked up to rubber again.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
We had the same problem and it was the hose to the tank that was the problem, once changed all was good. Doug