Satellite cabling question

I have a DISH satellite with a 625 receiver. On my previous Big Country I could connect TV2 out from the
receiver to the cable in the living room and receive on the cable in the bedroom. Two dealers have told
me I can not do this on my Big Horn. The wiring is different and I can not receive cable(satellite) in the bedroom.
They have replaced the booster and connections in the bedroom to no avail. I can receive the satellite signal in
the basement and to my knowledge the cable runs from there to the bedroom.
Why is the cable wiring different in the Big Horn and Big Country? I think there is a short in the wiring between
the basement and the bedroom and they don't want to mess with pulling new wire.
Any comments appreciated.

rjr6150

Carroll
Not sure on the BH but with our new 2013 at least for now I'm feeding the TV out from the sat receiver through the cable feed for both bedroom and outside TV's

danemayer

The TV output from your satellite receiver, assuming it's coax, is sending an RF signal down the wire. It's more like a cable or antenna signal than a satellite signal. When you connect that output to the antenna/cable connector in the living room, the signal should go to one output leg of a splitter in the basement. The other output leg goes to the basement TV connector. The input leg of that splitter goes to the bedroom amplifier.

So: if you want to verify the wiring is ok, turn the amp on and see if you can get good over the air TV reception to the living room and to the bedroom. The path from the antenna goes through the amplifier in the bedroom, then to the splitter in the basement, then to the basement TV connector and to the living room connector. If all works, the cables and splitters and connectors are ok.

If it doesn't work in the other direction, then perhaps the amplifier or the splitter is not passing the signal in the opposite direction. You could test this at the basement splitter by again verifying the satellite receiver signal gets to the basement TV, and then connect that TV to the input leg of that splitter. Unfortunately, this splitter is probably behind the basement wall on the door side, so some work is required to run this test. You can run a similar test in the bedroom by disconnecting the cable that comes from the basement to the amplifier and connecting it to the TV - probably will need a short extension cable to do this.

If one of these devices is unidirectional, you may be able to create a workaround with a different splitter, or perhaps an extra splitter, or maybe a diplexer instead of a splitter.

I know that it might be difficult to follow this wordy explanation, so I'm attaching the Landmark COAX Wiring diagram, which I think is similar to the Bighorn, but a bit different from Big Country. It might be easier to follow along while looking at the drawing.

Attachments

• Landmark_Coax_Wiring_Layout_10-01-07a.jpg
    Landmark_Coax_Wiring_Layout_10-01-07a.jpg
    424.5 KB · Views: 119

wdk450

I have a DISH satellite with a 625 receiver. On my previous Big Country I could connect TV2 out from the
receiver to the cable in the living room and receive on the cable in the bedroom. Two dealers have told
me I can not do this on my Big Horn. The wiring is different and I can not receive cable(satellite) in the bedroom.
They have replaced the booster and connections in the bedroom to no avail. I can receive the satellite signal in
the basement and to my knowledge the cable runs from there to the bedroom.
Why is the cable wiring different in the Big Horn and Big Country? I think there is a short in the wiring between
the basement and the bedroom and they don't want to mess with pulling new wire.
Any comments appreciated.

Chermason:
I have a 2008 production Bighorn and bring my Dish VIP722 receiver from home when I RV. I use the same setup the Dish installers put in my house. Here is the Bighorn Coax diagram from the "Tools" tab and manuals submenu at the top of this page: http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/Electronics/Coax_Layouts/Bighorn/BH_audio_video_2005-2007.pdf

Here's what I do: From the dish antenna the signal goes into the "Sat" input of a Sat/Antenna splitter. The combined (Sat/Antenna) output of the splitter connects to the coax "Sat" line going to the entertaiment center. There it goes into the SAt/Antenna input of a Sat/Antenna spliitter the Sat output going to a 2 LMB splitter and into the reciever's 2 LMB inputs. The rear TV signal coming out of the receiver goes to the Antenna connector of the antenna/Sat splitter, through the same cable that the LMB signals came in through to the UDC hookups, into the antenna/sat splitter there, out the antenna connector on that splitter, and into the "Cable" input in the UDC and to the rear TV.