5th wheel hitch recommendation

Renshi

I purchased a new Cyclone 4012 and I need some help with selecting the correct 5th wheel hitch for my application. I have a 2003 F-350 short bed 4x4. Do I need a slider hitch with this setup. I am interested in the Fifth Airborne sidewinder pin box coupler http://www.fifthairborne.com/fifthside_details.html and the B&W Companion fith wheel hitch. Can I combine these two products?
What is the manufactures position on using the sidewinder pin box? Can you please recommmend a 5th wheel hitch for this configuration.
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I have the Reese 18K Signature Series Hitch with 4 way tilt and slider been well pleased. I have never needed to use the slider. The campanion hitch also has a good reputation and following on this forum.---Ken

Loco

We have the Reese 20K signature 4 way also.I went with this one because it moves side to side better then most others. We use our rig at Rallies out in cow pastures and fields so the rig has to move around alot. this keeps from putting stress on the pin and trailer when the hitch can move all ways with out binding. I also made my dealer go bigger than we needed. He said all we needed was a 18K. I told him I would not take less than a 20K. Better with a little more than just enough. I always over kill and it always pays off. I have put our rig in some crazy places with no troubles. Just make sure you look at what you will do with your rig. Again ours is off road as much as on

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
Renshi
I have a BH with a Lippert 1621 Pin Box. I wanted to extend it. At the rally I spoke to Lippert and they advise me If I extended the pinbox they would void the warrenty on the frame.
After much reading I am also going to put on a 5th airborne. I wanted the sidewinder but will check length of both before I do anything. I have emails with 5th Airborne and they have a direct replacement for th 1621 identical length.
Good Luck
Wayne

bigdawgs

Sidewinder/B&W Hitch

Just talked to our dealer today(Butch at RVS for Less in Knoxville) and B & W is working on an adapter for the hitch that will accomodate the sidewinder. Sidewinder is also working on adjustments. Both should be available in about a month.

Renshi

Thanks for all the replies. I was hoping that Heartland would have provided some feedback. I really like the B&W hitch, but they don't have a slider. Right now I am leaning toward the Reese 18k Signature slider just in case I need the sliding feature since I have a shortbed truck. Does anyone know of a hitch manufacturer that makes a sliding hitch rated over 18k?

Uncle Rog

Don't waste your money on a slider, I did. The 88 deg turn feature works. I have pretty much determined that if I ever have to ever use the feature I will be in deeep guacamole and will probably rip off the axles turning that sharp!!

bigdawgs

B & W Hitch w/companion and sidewinder

We have a new 2007 Silverado K1500 HD with the 6.0 max and the 5'8" box. We had RVs for Less in Knoxville install a B & W hitch w/companion. Heard lots of stories re. not being able to use this hitch pulling a fiver but our dealer called us yesterday and told us B & W is working on an adaptor for their hitch so the companion as well as the sidewinder will be able to be used in conjunction with the B & W for the short box and extra short box trucks. This adaptor will be available within a month.

We are waiting before ordering a fiver to be sure we can tow safely.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Renshi said:
Thanks for all the replies. I was hoping that Heartland would have provided some feedback.

Renshi, Heartland only monitors the "Ask the Factory" forums and this thread is not in one of those.

Chuck

jbeletti

Renshi,

I think you may have posted this in the ATF forum but I moved it here as I felt other users were in a better position to answer your question based on their experience. The factory builds trailers. That's their expertise. A competent dealer/hitch retailer is likely better qualified to answer your complex hitch questions than is Heartland.

Jim

Loco

I agree with Uncle. If you need to turn that tight you will pull the tires off the wheels (well it looks like you will). That is one thing I try hard not to do with a tri axle. They do not and I mean do not like is tight turns of any kind. I have been in some tight places and never had to turn so tight as to get close to jacking it . The 88 deg. does work. We have a long bed and do not need it,but I did hook to a friends short bed just to see what it looked like. Any way if you have never pulled a tri axle just wait and look at our tires in tight turn. You will freak out and you see alot of folks on here having tire troubles. So far we have none. Tri axles are hard on tires,springs bearing,axles. I drove big tri axles for a few years as part time job hauling heavy equipment and we had all kinds of tire troubles because of having to make tight turns in town.

Last edited:
I have to jackknife our 4012 to get into my driveway from our cul-de-sac.
I look at what the tires are doing and it scares the **** out of me. No choice though... Only way to get it parked. What are the dangers to the tires?

Loco

Jim,
Just all ways go slow. It will wear the tread off the outside and inside of the tires first and than over time weakin the side walls. Just make sure your tire pressure is always up. I run 72 Psi in our 15 inch tires. I never run less. We have over 10,000 miles on it as of now with no tire failure. Knock on wood! I checked with a few other tire manufactures like Goodyear, Maxis and they advised I can go up to 10 psi over what is on the tire. So I went up to 72 and it has work for us so far.