2001 F250 + Torque 291

Just got a chance to weight my new toy hauler. Three adults plus two 100lb labs in the truck, full tank of gas and a RZR 570 in the garage.

Steer axle: 4540
Drive axle: 5540
Trailer axle: 10690
Gross weight: 20760

About what I expected. Truck is a 2001 F250 CC LWB 4WD with F350 springs and a B&W Patriot hitch. I'm over on my GVWR but under the GAWR for the front and rear. Just over on GCWR. Currently have 3.73 gears but 4.88's are being installed today. Truck pulls the trailer good. I see an F350 or F450 in my future...

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Do you have an idea what the pin weight is? Thats some low gears for a 4 speed auto. Didn't you get the memo stating that gas engines can't tow heavy loads.

jnbhobe

Will 4.88's fit in that rear end ? I replaced 3.73's with 4.30's and that was low, you should be able to crawl up walls !!

I started to go 4.56 but I thought 4.88 would be a little better after reading every gear thread I could find on fordtrucks.com and using online calculators.

Just got home from picking it up. Turning 3200rpm at 60 with OD off and 2280rpm at 60 with OD on. I do have 285/65r16's so it does help the rpm's some. The truck really likes to run at 3000rpm so it should be about perfect for towing-I have been running 58-60 and before the gears it would slow down on the hills. Shouldn't have that problem any more. My Scangauge II is already showing better mileage around town. Got 8.2mpg last weekend towing. I'll report back when I tow over Memorial Day. Ford should not have offered 3.73 gears in the v10's.

I will also hit the scales again on my next tow to see what the weight is without the RZR in back. I think my pin weight is right around 2000lbs but don't know for sure. It definitely helps with the RZR in the garage. It raises the back of the truck 1/2". I get about 2" of squat without the RZR but keep in mind I have f350 springs plus an extra leaf.

MC9

Chris or do you prefer Razor. I just put a 5 STAR tune on my V-10 with the 4.30. You cannot believe the difference.

Funny. My first name is Chris. Grew up in Arkansas and graduated from the university of Arkansas.

I have been reading about the 5 star tune and that may be my next addition.

Well, I sold the F250 and upgraded to a 2012 ram 3500 dually. It's hard to believe how much better it tows. I need to get it on the scales and see what the weights are.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    658.7 KB · Views: 34