BC 2950 RK F vs ER 29 RKSA

Tanuki

Comparing the BC 2950 RK F (Rear Kitchen with refer in side slide) to Elk Ridge ER 29 RKSA (Rear Kitchen with angled refer in rear corner). Both refridgerators are accessable with slides retracted, very important to us. Considering they are "same" size, there are big differences: BC is about 18" shorter, 20 sq. ft. smaller, but 1000 lb heavier GVWR. And higher price point, of course. I like some BC features (drop frame storage, hydraulic landing gear) and design differences, but am wondering if they are worth the extra $$.

Anybody have experience with either of these? Pros and cons for either would be appreciated.

Also, that first step up into the BC is a doozy compared to the ER and some other models. Like to wore us out just looking at it. Anybody change out the step or jury rig an alternative?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Tanuki and welcome to the forum. Lots of good information here.
Heartland and others manufacture a whole lot of different floor plans. Not everyone likes the same one.
So your choice of floor plan needs to be what you like.
I will say that I would opt for the drop frame with the extra storage and the hydraulic landing gear.
I have both and don't think I would want to do without either.

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

I'm with Dave, the Big Country is a full profile 5er and construction is a lot different.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
It depends on how you plan to use the coach. The ElkRidge is not designed for full time use, but it has many nice features. If you plan to use it only occasionally, the Elk Ridge is a great rig! You might consider a BH Silverado, also.

When the were introduced, they were considered a "luxury" 5ver, lumped with the LM, BC and BH. It is considered a full profile 5ver, but the bedroom roof does start to slope sooner than the BC. We don't have issues in ours except going into the closet--we occasionally hit our heads. It is built on a 10" frame, which isn't something to sneeze at. I'm sure Level Up can be added. Our basement is big too.

Please also consider what you are using as a tow vehicle. Most likely the ElkRidge can probably be easily towed with a 3/4 ton, the Big Country may be more of a stretch. You'll need to examine the numbers carefully.

BUT! I think you'll be happy with any HL product! Good luck in your search!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: