Touch Audio Radio Reception.....now it works.

eddylives

From day one I could not get reception of any radio through this unit....not even any decent reception of my sat radio from my truck while using a "whole home broadcaster" that is good to boost the signal to 150-300 feet from the truck. While parked beside the trailer yet.
I removed the unit from the trailer to try and find where/what type of antenna it uses and........
There it was , a ribbon style antenna all tied up into a nice little bundle leaving it totally useless for reception.(looks like a giant "T" when opened up)
Now I have to ask why is this type of antenna used? Totally wrong for these travel trailers.
There is no room in the little cabinet to be able to stretch out this style inside out of sight which meant I had to run it out of the cabinet from in front , up the cabinet , one side pulled over and pinned to the cabinet face as close to the end as possible and the other end streches out onto the ceiling to be pinned there.
Looks like crap but there is no other way to do it without losing signal from terestrial radio stations.
What ever happened to the regular automobile antenna's that would be folded down for travel?

Has anyone put a regular antenna on their trailer since these new ones don't seem to have them?
I was thinking about perhaps putting one on to the crank up TV antenna , I do not use it anyway and it would allow me to raise and lower it easily.
The only problem is I would have to put a hole through the roof to get up there , the awning stops me from going through the wall and out to the roof.
Or is it possible to use the existing place they run the tv wire in? I have not been up there yet to look at the set up yet.

CliffP

196_9696.JPG

Same thing with us. I drilled a 5/8 " hole in the upper right cabinet, fished the antenna up and tacked it along the top of the two cabinets. Seems to work good and it is hidden.

We just purchased a 2012 Sundance 3300 CK Fifth Wheel. Getting it ready I noticed no radio reception at all. Removed the unit ( simple 6 screw system ) and discovered no antenna connected at all. We have a Genesis 2.0 GT or whatever. Went to a local surplus store. Bought a $7 replacement car antenna. Plugged it in and fished the antenna through the void behind the entertainment unit. It now sits in there. We get AM/FM reception that rivals that of the truck now. No holes in the outside walls or roof.

CliffP

You could also buy an adapter cable and use the existing TV antenna. Motorola to F connector.
Here is a link for this cable. http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/28-2145

plug to one end to the radio other feed up to the antenna connector. raise antenna as needed. amplifier may need to be turned on.

View attachment 20080

Nice! Didn't know there was a second feed to the antenna. Where did you access the cable going to the antenna? Is that a standard car stereo antenna plug in that the household style antenna plugs into on the back of the touch audio?

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Nice! Didn't know there was a second feed to the antenna. Where did you access the cable going to the antenna? Is that a standard car stereo antenna plug in that the household style antenna plugs into on the back of the touch audio?

You'll need to verify that your Touch audio has the antenna plug. It should be a standard car stereo antenna plug on the back. I was thinking of just running the adapter cable up to the TV jack that has the amplifier and using it that way. Or if you wanted to, Add a splitter on to the TV2 output and run one side to the radio.

dave10a

I experienced the same problems with both my Genesis 3.0 and Genesis 2.0 systems and ended up replaceing the Genesis 3.0 with a Sony/Bose system and designed and installed a better antenna to get proper AM/FM and NOAA Weather.