Found some hidden storage space

timk

While doing some late spring cleaning, I ran across a door pull in my storage area, that I never noticed before.

Opened it up, and now I got more places to stash junk. Its a good place to put stuff you don't need very often. Like my workout shoes, and my cleaning supplies. :D

Attachments

• basement.jpg
    basement.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 427
  • basement (2).jpg
    basement (2).jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 412

Uncle Rog

timk, as much as you have done / fixed / inspected and basically scrutinized you rig it is amazing that you missed anything! My storage area is the rubber diamond plate, I will certainly inspect mine to see if we have that area.....good find!

timk

It actually wasn't too bad. Cut out the wood and stick in a couple of hinges. Then a piece of osb over the bottom area. Sure cleans up the junk in the main storage area.

ChopperBill

You rascal! You had me going there! Thought you REALLY had the area but didn't notice it. Now I know it is something that can be built.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Great idea! On the downside for me, I'm close enough to being overweight as it is. If I add more, the China bombs may not hold up. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed till I absolutely need new rubber or I get a windfall of cash.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Hey
Wouldn't it be better to access this area from the bottom? All the stuff on top to move to open the door would be an issue. Or from the front storage bay? Something you could lower like how the spare tire works. I have been looking for a place to store the fire wood.

timk

dieselengineer said:
Hey
Wouldn't it be better to access this area from the bottom? All the stuff on top to move to open the door would be an issue. Or from the front storage bay? Something you could lower like how the spare tire works. I have been looking for a place to store the fire wood.

The bottom is where it all started when I was peeking up under there one day.

You cant get to the area from the front, because of the steel bulkhead. When were all set up, most of our junk is out, and the compartment is mostly empty, so its not too big of a deal for us to get to the new basement storage.

Speaking of the spare tire, when I did the deed, I moved the spare up front just under the new basement area. So the crank is now accessed from the front compartment, and the winch is in the new basement area. So some smuck cant just go help himself (so easily) to our spare.

Now...have you ever seen the waisted space under the floor behind the axles?

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Yes I have. There is a lot of space under the floor in the back. That is why I suggested access from the bottom for these areas. It would be great to have a box shape storage unit (with wheels) that can be lowered with a crank type (like the spare tire). Crank it down and roll it out.

ChopperBill

Good idea on the spare tire. I look at mine and wonder when some dip going into my camping spot is going to remove it for me. Upside is I could mount it like yours!

timk

My biggest issue with the spare in the back, was when I would try to get into too small of a space backing in and it wouldnt fit over the tire bump stop, curb, or some rock.

Problem solved.

Uncle Rog

I know I have mentioned this before but my rig did not even have a spare when it was delivered! When I was in for a warranty visit, after talking to Chris, J&L mounted a spare for me. They had the foresight to put it up front with the crank in the front storage bay.......timk, you had me going until I saw the picture with the deck cut outs...good job!

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Timk,
This is a really neat thing you did here. Maybe Heartland will pickup on this and start including this extra available storage from the factory. I will definitely look into this on mine.

Thanks,

Mark