Tires

tstammer

tstammer
I just looked at my GVWR of the Bighorn and it is listed at 14000 lbs, my axles are rated @ 6000 lbs? My Milestsar tires(Chinese) are rated at 3520 lbs. I have been looking for tires and cannot find a tire in 235/75-R16E with that kind of load range all are 3042 lbs. I could go to a G load tire now I not only have to buy 4 new tires I will need to buy 4 new rims.

Now according to the GVWR of the trailer I have overloaded axles. I wish I found this forum prior to buying the BigHorn.

Tom

ChopperBill

Wow! a couple of things that stump me. (1) A 2925 has 3520 lb rated tires and our 3055 has 3042 lb rated tires (2) Why you would need anything rated that high?
I could be missing something here but I have the Michelin XPS Ribs rated at 3042 lbs and Wouldnt trade one for all the china tires made. Michelin dosn't make a 235/75/16 in the XPS Rib but have a couple that are close. I picked the smaller over all diameter tire so they wouldn't be too close, you may be able to use the larger over all diameter.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Your GVRW of 14,000 lbs. includes the pin weight of the trailer. Our 3400 scales in at 11,600 on the axles and about 2800 on the pin. I am under the 12,000 lb. axle combined rating. If you have aluminum wheels, you may want to check their capacity. It is forged on the inside of the wheel. Mine are rated for 3960 lbs. which is satisfactory for "G" rated tires.

svd

The 235/80/16 Missions I replaced were d-rated, and showed 3500 lbs at 80 psi. I also replaced them with XPS ribs like Chopper Bill did.

Uncle Rog

Ray is correctumundo about the weight distribution. When I scaled our 3600, loaded for bear, and then some, the axle weight was 12k#'s with around a ton or so on the pin. I was hard to tell the pin weight because of the generator, firewood etc in the truck bed. Long story short the tire / axle combo was more than adequate.....except for the Chicom tires....

tstammer

tstammer
Rims and tires

I did check my rims they are rated @3042 lbs. The Milestar tires have a max load of 3520? I am just as confused as everyone else with the big diffrence. I did make a mistake I have ST235/80R16E China Bombs. I did order the Michelins LT235/85R16E today rated @3042Lbs 80PSI, I paid $918.00. It will take 3-4 days for the tires to come in. I cancelled a weekend trip, I will not pull the trailer until I replace the tires. When I told the salesman of the load range on the China bombs he did not believe it when I take the tires to be replaced he will be just as confused as me.