3/4 vs. 1 ton

Good morning everyone.
After checking all the weights I think I need to check it makes sense to go 1 ton tow vehicle. The Greystone 33QS has hitch pin weight of 2075#, empty trailer weight of 11,252# and gross weight of 13,950#. The Chevrolet Silverado SW 3500 w/gas, auto and 4.10 gears will pull 14,000# trl. wt. and 20,500# gross and dually are the same weights. The diesel will increase to 17,300# trl. wt. and 24,500#.
I can see the no brainer if we were towing this new coach around the country but a 1 time move from Ohio to Florida to be set up as permanent living and maybe a visit to Central Florida does not allow for and additional $7200-$8000 for the diesel. The dually option with Chevrolet can be ordered w/gas engine too but the weights do not show any real gain in pulling just stability.
I don't want to start a fire storm about gas vs. diesel it's just that everyone has helped considerably in a decision and the 3500 wins out over the 2500 but I find it hard to cough up that much additional to buy diesel. Thanks for all your help. Navypoppop

cooknsharry

Well I cannot help to think? I bought a 2011 ChevDuramax2500Die, Loove it vs my old ford. 2012 BH 3855fl? My Chev Tows my BH all day long no problems. I am not full time Yet 4yrs 8m 3days to go lol. With that said Why don't you think about IF your only towing one time ? to florida just have someone tow it down for you,Now you can buy a Electric car and a golfcart to scoot around with while you spend time in florida. not a bad idea Aaa?

MTPockets

If you only need to get it to FL one time.... don't buy a truck at all..... Save your cash and pay to have it towed. You'll be way ahead. If you 'want' a truck anyway, get the deisel.

lwmcguir

If you aren't going to tow at least 5k miles per year, go with the gas one ton. You will save a lot on filters/oil and up front cost.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I would tend to agree with those that suggest hiring someone to tow it for you. We hired an agent to deliver our rig from Ohio to Washington state for around $3000. If you have no real need for continued use of a truck it seems you could better spend that money elsewhere! One thing about the gas vs diesel debate that you don't hear much of (maybe its just me) but that is the "comfort" factor. I have towed first with a gas truck and later with a diesel. Both did a good job. However, having towed with a diesel I would never consider going back to a gas truck. Color me nutty but to me, the diesel does the same work with much less effort. Low end torque is available usually at lower RPMs and it doesn't "scream" at me like my gas truck did (except in that Tow Haul mode going down the mountains :eek:). For me, it is just more comfortable to tow with.

Best Wishes!

Moose

I would never go back to gas . . . . even if I didn't tow an RV.

Up here Dodge RAM has "Free diesel engine promotions". So you don't pay any extra for the diesel engine. Our diesel fuel is normally cheaper than our gas as well.