Cabinet door hinges

Maggiemay

Purchased our Cyclone 3612 last spring. The hinge popped out of one of the overhead doors above the couch? We don't have a heartland dealer near by, and was wondering if this is a warranty item. We also have issues with the exterior door to the garage. It sounds like a coffin is opening in a horror movie. We have lubricated the door multiple times with no relief. Help

donr827

I have the same problem on four of my overhead cabinet doors. I am in the process of removing the doors and using Gorilla Glue to get the hinges back in place. I called HL customer service and they recommended Gorilla Glue or epoxy. This has been a on going problem for awhile. The strut that holds the door open seems to be the culprit. This would be a warranty problem. I decided to tackle the problem myself.
Don

Speedy

Break off a toothpick into the screw hole for the hinge and dab a small amount of gorilla glue into the hole as well. Then replace the screw prior to the glue drying and you should be good to go.

Westwind

I had the same problem on our 2012 3070RL BH, we had 4 cabinet doors that lift up pop the hinges, I used the gorilla glue method and so far they are working well. I'm probably going to do all the doors in the future. Easier to do little things liek this then take it back to the dealer.

CliffP

The hinge just popped on one of the overhead doors on our 2012 North Trail. Emailed our dealer today with a list and haven't heard back yet but it should be under warranty. If I didn't have to drag it back for other things I'd give the Gorilla Glue a shot. Gonna pay attention to how they fix it so I'll know how to fix the next one when it pops.

pegmikef

Break off a toothpick into the screw hole for the hinge and dab a small amount of gorilla glue into the hole as well. Then replace the screw prior to the glue drying and you should be good to go.

I also use a little longer screws so they actually bite into the wood. Haven't had a fixed one fail yet.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
The toothpick and Gorilla Glue works wonderfully and is a lot cheaper and easier than dragging it back to the dealer, under warranty or not.

rjr6150

So far have had to use Gorilla Glue and toothpicks on three of our doors. All three times its been the side which has the lift assist on it.

Nathan

While bringing mine to the dealer for "other" warranty work, I had them fix my hinges as well. One trip and they were all popping off like it was the Fourth of July! I pick it up today so hopefully it will be fixed!

Emaline

We have had the same problem. I think my husband has had to fix every door on the slide out with gorilla glue and toothpicks.

kraftyrick

KraftyRick
cabinet doors hinges

On our 2010 BC 3450ts, most of the cabinet door hinges pulled out of the door when opening or closing. Has anyone else experienced this problem, and what is the best way to correct the issue.

Thanks, Rick & Andrea, Cut Bank, Montana

jimtoo

Re: cabinet doors hinges

Hi Rick and Andrea,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

There has been several discussions about the hinges pulling out. I will move this thread to an area where it has been discussed.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

B

bwwalczak

It is like my wife tells me: "if you can't be handsome, be handy!"

Unfortunately, it sounds like some drill holes for the hinges were drilled to large.

While working with the glue and toothpick (OEM unapproved method), it may help to remove the lift strut. This strut places a tremendous amount of tension on the hinge. Once the glue sets, the strut can be reattached.

rjr6150

Did the process to three additional doors over the weekend while camping again only on the hinge side with the rod assist.

donr827

It is like my wife tells me: "if you can't be handsome, be handy!"

Unfortunately, it sounds like some drill holes for the hinges were drilled to large.

While working with the glue and toothpick (OEM unapproved method), it may help to remove the lift strut. This strut places a tremendous amount of tension on the hinge. Once the glue sets, the strut can be reattached.

I had four hinges pulled out and fixed them with Gorilla glue. What I noticed about my struts was that mine are not perpendicular but offset around 10 degrees. This might put additional pressure on the hinges. While at the dealer last week I looked at several other brand rvs and the struts were perpendicular and not offset. Something to mull over.
Don

ncc1701e

This sure is a common thread across Heatland. Pulled into Southheaven, MS today for a rally. A door I've fixed before came off the hinges. I'll take it down before bed and let the clue dry over night. Looks like Heartland would see these post and initiate some QC checks.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

I think it more of a problem in the cabinets that are not solid wood. We had a couple of hinge issues in our Sundance, but have had none with the Landmark. The Gorilla Glue will work, but it works even better if you fill the hole with the glue then break off toothpick pieces in the hole until it is full. Let it dry, redrill the hole using a bit about half the size of the screw, and then reattach.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
My 3850 Cyclone has plastic screw anchors like would be used in drywall or concrete holding the hinge to the door. Is this what you all are having issues with?
I have had two anchors (one hinge) come out so far. I had never seen anchors used in wood before but I did use Gorilla Glue to put them back in.
If they come out again I think I'll forego the anchors and mix up some sawdust with the glue and completely fill the hole and redrill for the screw only.

CliffP

My 3850 Cyclone has plastic screw anchors like would be used in drywall or concrete holding the hinge to the door. Is this what you all are having issues with?
I have had two anchors (one hinge) come out so far. I had never seen anchors used in wood before but I did use Gorilla Glue to put them back in.
If they come out again I think I'll forego the anchors and mix up some sawdust with the glue and completely fill the hole and redrill for the screw only.

Ours also have plastic inserts in the doors.