Hunter conversion and the HI-low fan switch

ChopperBill

When I put in my Hunter thermostat I did away with the hi-low function. I believe the fan should run on hi when the a/c is running. Confirmed that last week. Our Snowriver truck camper has the Brisk Air and the control panel with switches is in the air diverter. It has a 3 speed fan and quite frankly you cant tell much difference in the speeds. Last week I put it on low while it was parked in the driveway because we were going to load it up later. After about an hour I went in and it was still warm in there. A/C had froze up. Never had that happen when I run it on hi. It was only in the high 80's at the time. Now I am convinced that I did not need the low speed in my Hunter conversion.

timk

Chopper did you have the Dometic remote. I'd sure like to see a wiring diagram of how you hooked up the thermostat. Ours has been having a mind of its own lately.
TimK

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I remember there were some earlier posts regarding the Hunter thermostat conversion. Is this a pretty straight forward change out or are there some wiring differences I need to be on the look out for? In addition, does someone know the part number for the Hunter? Thanks

ChopperBill

This is from a post I made a while back.

Read so much I am getting a migraine! So if all I want to use is the high fan and not put in the toggle switch I just hook up the blue wire to the ground terminal. Man I have never seen a bunch of color switching in a schematic in my life!
OK this is how I get it for OUR applications. With no toggle switch for fan,

Ground goes to RC
Fan(hi or low? Tan or blue depending choice fan speed) goes to G (I will use hi)
Cool goes to Y
Ground goes to RH (I suppose with a jumper that goes to RC?)
Furnace goes to W
Red not used.

Who ever figured this thing out has to be a genius or stoned! (guessing stoned!)

Not sure about a remote set up. I thought the quit installing those because they didnt work? :confused:

Ray LeTourneau

Thanks guys! I did a search after my post and made a note of Choppers post and when I tried the link it didn't work but it does now. Go Figure. I'll be heading to Wally World to get a T-stat.

terawatt

Along the lines of timk's queston, has anyone done a conversion to a digital t-stat that has the Dometic remote control model??? I figure a fixed t-stat will be harder to throw through the window.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Hey, thanks guys we used this info to change out our Dometic thermostat to the Hunter and it worked great!! Much better to see the digital readout.

As for the remote, we had one on our Carrier unit in the HR we got rid of...don't know about the Dometic remote but the Carrier worked flawlessly; unfortunately it was about the only thing on the HR that did!!

Actually it was FORTUNATE...now we have our Bighorn and so far really, really like it!!

tdharley

I have the Dometic remote and after a learning curve I grew to like it.

As a matter of fact I have never seen a HVAC system that would switch from AC to heat when the temp. drops below the desired temp.

We were out 2 weeks ago and needed the AC before going to sleep but the temp dropped outside enough to make the furnace come on. The system did this automatically.

Some tips:
1. Good batteries. the system will not work properly or at all with weak ones.
2. Line of site from the remote to the sensor.(My remote was installed way in the back)
3. Audible feedback-Wait for the beep
4. RTM-Read the manual

Gary Steeves

Just bought the Hunter and began installation. Here are my wires/colors/destinations.

Duo-therm:
red to +7.5
yellow to cool
white to fur
purple to hi fan
brown to fan
green to gnd

From the posts, I assume I should wire as follows:
red - not used
yellow - Y
white - W
purple - G (for high speed fan)
brown - not used
green - RH with jumper to RC

Any help in verifying my above assumptions are correct is greatly appreciated. Thanks !!

EDIT NOTE - I connected the brown to "G" along with the purple and it works just fine !!

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Install Complete

I just completed the Hunter T'stat conversion. I also installed the switch for fan speed. It went well but at first I thought it wasn't working. There seems to be a few second delay on the start up of the A/C fan. When I first heard a low hum I thought I had problems. I let it hum for a second and it started up. The fan switch even works right. COOL!!! I used the attached link. It has the same instruction as other but it has pretty color pictures. After posting this, I checked the link and the pictures don't work. Not sure what I did wrong. Sorry! Try this instead. http://home.roadrunner.com/~morodat/hunter_install.html

Last edited:

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Thought I would resurrect this thread after installing my new Hunter. It really was a worthwhile upgrade for the bucks. It took me longer to get a few tools together than the install very simple using the wiring changes posted, nice work guys. I did not add the switch because we never use the low setting and like ChopperBill said it can cause freeze ups on the low setting per other posts I have read, also. I attached the low and hi speed wires together and works fine. One of the other problems we had with the old one, it seems one of us bumped the temp setting switch going by and changing the setting ,problem solved there too. Once again thanks , very helpful. ----Ken

Kashman

Mark Lawrence
Hey Ray I just picked up the t-stat, but as I was viewing the wiring diagram in the link, it' s not clear where the wire with the spade connector(blue one in top pic) went. Can tell me were it goes so I can hook the switch?

Ray LeTourneau

Hey Ray I just picked up the t-stat, but as I was viewing the wiring diagram in the link, it' s not clear where the wire with the spade connector(blue one in top pic) went. Can tell me were it goes so I can hook the switch?
It's been quite a while since I did mine but looking at the bottom drawing on the instruction and doing a bit of reading, the spade connector goes to one side of the hi/low fan switch. The other side of the switch goes to the "G" terminal which is the a/c fan power. The spade connector is to make it possible to remove the t'stat for whatever reason. The blue wire is actually the high speed fan wire. Also remember when you get it all together and turn on the a/c there is about a 3 second delay before the a/c kicks in.