Need Ideas

Deedee

Hi,
I was wondering if any of you can give me some ideas on how to brighten up my fifth wheel. I am so tired of looking at brown, beige and gold. Not to mention the day/night shades that keep breaking...sigh...
All ideas are welcome.
Thanks
Dee

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Some of our shades keep breaking, as well. I have noticed HL is going to mini blinds in some of the Landmarks.
You could get them at Home Depot. Not too expensive.
That might spuce things up a bit.

kkamshop

Can you sew Deedee? I am going to make pillowcase style covers for the backs of my dining chairs, shaped to fit the top. And cover the seats is easy, just wrap and staple. The fabric I am looking at is a wide stripe with dusty teal, soft brown, and cream.
Then I am thinking to use a slipcover for the sofa in a cream color.

Good luck with your decorating!

Speedy

Replace the day/night shades with regular blinds (our BC came with them) and pick a color that works for the new interior. They work so much easier than the four windows that have day/night shades.

The wallpaper border peels off quite easily and either run without it or replace it with something more colorful.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Maybe "SouthernNights" will come on and post photos of how he painted the interior of his last rig. Sure changed the "normal" color scheme.

As far as curtains and shades, we removed the valances and side panels from the bedroom and put in white lace valances. Brightened up that look. In the living room, we removed the large day/night shade in the rear window, along with the side valances (lambroquins?) and installed vertical blinds. I modified the original top valance to cover the hardware. Now we can adjust the shades easily and not fight them.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Someone mentioned taking off the wallpaper border. That's going to be the quickest way to neutralize the space and let you bring in your personality. I guess it also depends on the wallpaper. Ours is pretty basic/cream.

Next curtains/valances. Depending on the construction, you could use hot glue or a staple gun to cover valances with a different fabric. If you're not in love with the blinds that come with the RV, consider switching to a more traditional style blind. The blinds in my home are wooden, birch I think because they are extremely light weight. In all the RVs we walked into, those with these blinds felt the most homey to us.

You could also install pull down shades and simply cover the shades with a favorite fabric.

Don't underestimate the power of paint, fabric and a glue gun.

Use a bright, fun contact paper (wallpaper or even wrapping paper with clear contact paper on top) to line your drawers and cabinets.

Slipcovers can work wonders on chairs and sofas.

If you don't love your recliners or dining chairs, put them up on craigslist and find something better. We ordered our RV without recliners and dining chairs. In our floor plan, the standard dining chairs are like a big wall between the living room and kitchen. So we're looking for something with an open back or bar stools.

Add a pretty backsplash. There's a great thread here on the boards where a few folks have added tile backsplashes to their kitchen. There are also gel-tile stickons you can use. I haven't seen them in person, but if they look as pretty in real life, I plan on adding them to my kitchen.

Depending on what knobs/pulls you have in your kitchen and bathroom, you might consider switching those to something brighter or maybe more reflective. I've never seen a Heartland with the gold knobs, but if that's your thing, you can probably find them for a dollar or so a knob at Home Depot or Lowes. Same for silver or brushed nickel.

Bright new towels can really pep up a space. Think bright whites along with a fun accent color.

One quick idea for changing up your space is to go with a single accent color. A popular color this season is yellow so you could do yellow accent pillows, a yellow throw, yellow dishes, a yellow rug and maybe a yellow painting or sculpture. Just little pops of color on a neutral background will make your space feel very pulled together.

One thing I've been wondering about is changing the linoleum in the kitchen. Right now I like the color/style that's in our unit. But it's very dark. And the cabinets are pretty dark. So I have a feeling at some point in the future, I'm going to get tired of that darker floor. I'll be interested to see how hard it is to change.

If you're feeling more adventurous, here are a bunch of different pictures from people who have stripped their RV of wallpaper and decorated pretty much from scratch:

An example of bringing in a central accent color - http://pinterest.com/pin/232568768227342712/

http://pinterest.com/pin/232568768227342710/

http://pinterest.com/grammajay/rv-ideas/

Love this pillow - http://pinterest.com/melaniesantizo/rv/

All sorts of ideas and color schemes - http://pinterest.com/tdsprague/for-the-rv-park/

Colorful campers - http://pinterest.com/kbandaruk/rv-life/

Cute RVs - http://pinterest.com/charleyj/rv-cutes/

Some custom "cafe" style curtains and a great headboard idea - http://pinterest.com/papes2dr/rv/

Can't believe this bedroom is in a camper: http://pinterest.com/pin/220465344228786557/

Paint on the walls & cabinets, new backsplash - http://pinterest.com/pin/130182245449071465/

Hope that helps!

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
As John mentioned, we painted the inside of our BC.
Here is a thread with a couple of pictures. made a big difference for us.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/16176-Too-Much-Brown?highlight=

I know there is at least one other member who did also "patrick1945'.

santafesoul

We know about the brown, our BC 2500RL fit our needs so well we kind of overlooked the brown but, it did start to wear on us. Our beginning solution was to get rid of those brown covers over the bed and replace with a colorful cover with matching shams. Made a world of difference.

RanCarr

Hi,
I was wondering if any of you can give me some ideas on how to brighten up my fifth wheel. I am so tired of looking at brown, beige and gold. Not to mention the day/night shades that keep breaking...sigh...
All ideas are welcome.
Thanks
Dee

I'm in the same boat as you. I really don't care for the funeral parlor colors RVs come in these days. They are so blah, unlike even 10 years ago. So far I've added a colorful but not gaudy Nautical themed ceiling to floor curtain between the rear cabinets to give us more room and privacy in the bathroom and bunk area. We used a pressure rod across the space. I bought a Lodge theme mat for in front of the sink. That adds some color to the floor. And to lighten the floor, a beige runner in front of the sofa. The table placemats are in colors of green as are the blanket covers on the dinette seats and backs. I covered the sofa in a flannel oversheet to keep clean and free of cat hair but don't like the color too much. It's cream with assorted flowers. It sounds prettier than it is. I'll replace it with something having more shades of green. I made curtains when we bought it last year but used some material I already had - blah brown. :p What was I thinking? I will make new curtains with color on them. Nothing blah and nothing with deep crayon colors that shock the eye. I have to check out WalMart's fabrics and JoAnn's in the nearby city. I don't know where else I can add color. I hung a few pictures and added fake greenery above the three windows with a few colorful fake flowers tucked here and there but it's still too blah. I think the curtains and better cover for the sofa will make a big difference.

Last edited:

Joy & Jeff

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
I'm installing a back splash behind the stove in my BH. It's the heat resistant imitation tin stuff from Lowes. Very light weight and with only one sheet just stuck up has really brightened the area. I'll try and post pictures when I finish. I also added red pillows and throw on the couch, a red throw rug in the kitchen/entry as well as a red trash can. I've hung a few pictures and in the bedroom a bright comforter and bright turquoise room darkening curtains. I'm slower redecorating the entire rig.

RanCarr

I'm installing a back splash behind the stove in my BH. It's the heat resistant imitation tin stuff from Lowes. Very light weight and with only one sheet just stuck up has really brightened the area. I'll try and post pictures when I finish. I also added red pillows and throw on the couch, a red throw rug in the kitchen/entry as well as a red trash can. I've hung a few pictures and in the bedroom a bright comforter and bright turquoise room darkening curtains. I'm slower redecorating the entire rig.

I can't imagine why the RV industry has turned to these ugly dead colors. They're in almost every RV we looked at under a few years old. I mean, what is the point, the reason? If you check Craigslist RV section you'll see beautiful colors inside some of the older rigs. The used Class-C we recently bought for a cross-country trip is shades of medium steely blue and a rose pink, or dusty rose. Nothing dull or dead about it. Yes, we're keeping the NorthTrail 28BRS but don't want to haul it all over the USA.

We bought the copper metal back-splash for the Class-C at HomeDepot. It wouldn't help the NT any. We didn't buy it not for looks or to brighten, but to cover and protect the wood on each side and behind the stove. The Class-C Ford Dutchman is heavy on windows and very bright inside.

kowAlski631

Hi - new to everything in reality since we just ordered our 3670RL Big Horn & are waiting for delivery (looking at mid-Oct). We toured the factory & found out that we could order our BH with no borders and tile throughout the ktichen & living areas (except for the slide-outs). We plan to put down area rugs which are easy to change & should transform the entire area. I have been reading with great interest all the hints everyone has & can't wait to put them into action.

Mack & Ski

danemayer

Hi - new to everything in reality since we just ordered our 3670RL Big Horn & are waiting for delivery (looking at mid-Oct).
Hi kowAlski631,

Congratulations on your Bighorn order and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. You'll find a lot of useful information here along with a great bunch of people who are willing to share their knowledge and experience.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of great ideas on different things you can do to personalize your Bighorn.

kowAlski631

Thanks so much. Looking forward to meeting folks at rallies. We plan on going full-time for our next life adventure come next spring.

We took down the valances, installed fancy curtain rods and used the room darkening thermal grommet drapes. Easy to pull close and blocks out the heat or cold.

VKTalley

We took down the valances, installed fancy curtain rods and used the room darkening thermal grommet drapes. Easy to pull close and blocks out the heat or cold.

rockhounders, that's a good idea! I like that one. Can you post some pictures?

Actually it was in a fifth wheel we traded in for the Elkridge but I'm going to do it to this one too. We kept the day night shades for added insulation in extreme weather but hardly used them at all after we went to the thermal drapes. You can find them at Walmart.

Milton_and_PeggySue

Milton and I had renovated our old 5th wheel before we traded it for our BC. I ordered 2" blinds from Blinds Chalet online (good quality and very inexpensive and you can order the sizes you need), put in a tile counter top and backsplash, changed the faucets in kitchen and bath and put in a residential sink in the bath. I also got rid of the chair and loveseat and bought a light-weight leather loveseat and chair. The differences were amazing and the upgrades made the camper look completely different.

I have already added a peel and stick vinyl tile backsplash to our BC and decorated with bright colors (orangy reds and coordinating colors). We had built a dining banqette for the other camper that we kept and put into the BC because I don't like the chairs, they take up too much room. I also took out the day/night shades in the bedroom and put in blackout shades (white), took out the valance sides (brown), and added light blue velvet sides to compliment the pale gray comforter I put on the bed. I'll post pictures when we get the BC back from the dealer, hopefully next week. There are many things that can be done, it really just depends on your budget and abilities (if you can sew you save a lot of money) and your imagination. Hope it all goes well for you!