2012 Big country - repairs and warranty work

Dokotton

We tried having our fifth wheel repaired at dealership and found it wasn't fixed.
If we repair it ourselves- how does that effect the warranty?
And why didn't we recieve any paperwork when the first repairs were made? Is that common?
thanks
Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Dokotton, welcome to the forum. This is a great place to get and share information when you are working on your rig.
I cannot speak for the factory, but as far as doing work yourself I think that most, or at least a lot, of us would prefer to do the work on our own.
Again, I cannot speak for Heartland but I doubt that doing the work yourself would affect your warranty.
Disclaimer here, if you fixed something and that caused another part to fail, that may be a problem. Or if you screwed up what you were working on and made it worse it could be a problem.
Whenever my dealer did something for me I got documentation. I would ask for that. It could protect you down the road if it is documented with Heartland.

Peace
Dave

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
We tried having our fifth wheel repaired at dealership and found it wasn't fixed.
If we repair it ourselves- how does that effect the warranty?
And why didn't we recieve any paperwork when the first repairs were made? Is that common?
thanks Dave

Many people have a difficult time finding the "right" dealer with a quality service department. Have you returned your rig to the repair facility to give them the opportunity to "make it right?" As Dave mentioned, many RVers, myself included, prefer to do the repairs we can ourselves. Gives us the time to check things out and also know the job was done correctly. With small jobs, Heartland Customer Service has shipped me parts to make repairs myself. That being said, anytime I took our previous rig in for service, we always received some type of documentation even it it was just an itemized invoice.

Perhaps we could be of more help if we knew what the specific problem is.

Best Wishes!

Last edited:

GOTTOYS

I had one experience with my selling dealer's service department. They fixed about 1/2 of the items that needed repair. Some of the work was a good job, some wasn't, some wasn't done at all. I asked if Heartland would send me the parts so I could finish it myself. They arrived without a problem. The work got done the way I wanted to see it get done and I saved a couple trips back and forth to my selling dealer which I have no plans to visit again. To me this solidifies my thinking that next time I will travel whatever distance to get the best deal. To heck with their service department, in many cases I can do a better job myself....I tried buying locally and that didn't work too well...Don