Panel to maintain fridge

ILH

I am absolutely new to the world of solar - so please be kind (and slow!).

Although I've been camping for a number of years in a travel trailer, we just bought a a new 2013 Road Warrior 305. Our trips are often two weeks apart - and we'd really like to leave the fridge running in between. With everything off except the fridge, the battery lasts about 8 days before being depleted. Yes, I'm aware that there are a few other items drawing power, such as radios, CO2 monitors, etc.

I live in southern Ontario (Canada) - but my questions only relate to summertime.

My question are:

1. What do I need in terms of maintaining the level in my battery between trips?
2. When I hear about anybody mounting items on their roof, I cringe - as I've heard so many horror stories about penetrating the roof membrane and susequent leaks. How are solar panels mounted?

I'm sure I'll have follow-up questions - but this should get theball rolling.

PhotoPete

I am absolutely new to the world of solar - so please be kind (and slow!).

Although I've been camping for a number of years in a travel trailer, we just bought a a new 2013 Road Warrior 305. Our trips are often two weeks apart - and we'd really like to leave the fridge running in between. With everything off except the fridge, the battery lasts about 8 days before being depleted. Yes, I'm aware that there are a few other items drawing power, such as radios, CO2 monitors, etc.

I live in southern Ontario (Canada) - but my questions only relate to summertime.

My question are:

1. What do I need in terms of maintaining the level in my battery between trips?
2. When I hear about anybody mounting items on their roof, I cringe - as I've heard so many horror stories about penetrating the roof membrane and susequent leaks. How are solar panels mounted?

I'm sure I'll have follow-up questions - but this should get theball rolling.

Generally i plug my rig in at home to keep things charged up and running. If i were to entertain a solar panel to trickle charge the battery, i might temporarily attach it to the lpg tank cover. I would not hard attach it to the roof. I might consider mounting it on top of the ac plastic shroud though.

Pete

ILH

Have you thought about making a bracket to attach to your ladder? That may be something to look into.

The only issue with that suggestion is that my ladder is side mounted and must be removed during travel (and I generally leave it off and stowed when parked).

Urban350

When I only had 75w solar panel on mine it was more then enough to keep the battery charged in between camping trips doing what you want to do.

ILH

When I only had 75w solar panel on mine it was more then enough to keep the battery charged in between camping trips doing what you want to do.

That's what I needed to know - thanks. Did you install it yourself - or have it installed for you? What kind of price did you pay for it? Sorry - I really don't know what to expect heading into this.

rick_debbie_gallant

The only issue with that suggestion is that my ladder is side mounted and must be removed during travel (and I generally leave it off and stowed when parked).

You also might think about mounting either to your air conditioning shroud or your vent fan cover.
One other idea would be to use commercial grade, exterior grade velcro. Good Luck.

Urban350

That's what I needed to know - thanks. Did you install it yourself - or have it installed for you? What kind of price did you pay for it? Sorry - I really don't know what to expect heading into this.

I would look @ spending under $1000 instaled but I think that may be high as that is what I just paid for 1 150W panel. My first 75W panel was also $1000 10 years ago so I might not be much help with a price. There are probably cheaper stand alone panels at Can. Tire that you can set up when you park your trailer, and I think anything over 50W would be fine.

Rmcgrath53

I just installed a 560 watt panels (4 140 watt panels were 189.00 a piece at solar blvd in Ca. I boughyt the tri star morningstar 60 amp controler so I can add 2 more panells down the road . My whole system was 2600 including a xanex 2000 watt inverter also got the remote sensor for the controler(battery charger) The panels can be bought with the clips and attatch to the panel then place were you want it , mark the holes, then slide the panel out of the way, load up with deco sealer, slide the panel over the sealer, then screw it to the roof with coarse screw then seal over the whole bracket. You will have no way to leak . I also bought 4 golf cart batteries included in the price... Solar has come way down the last few months!! I dont know if a small panel will keep the fridge going while gone for 2 weeks. The battery will run down at nite. Think about a cloudyb day with little charge. If the main source is propane then the conturoler for the fridge may not run one battery down if it is sunny the next day. My plan is to back feed the camper with 120 ac ( in other words taking the shore power plug and plugging that to the 2000 watt inverter) I should also turn aircond breaker off.

and trip the converter breaker then running the fridge with ac and dc for controls. I think with my set up that may be possible. Then my boondocking carrer can begin with little fossil fuel

Urban350

I just installed a 560 watt panels (4 140 watt panels were 189.00 a piece at solar blvd in Ca. I boughyt the tri star morningstar 60 amp controler so I can add 2 more panells down the road . My whole system was 2600 including a xanex 2000 watt inverter also got the remote sensor for the controler(battery charger) The panels can be bought with the clips and attatch to the panel then place were you want it , mark the holes, then slide the panel out of the way, load up with deco sealer, slide the panel over the sealer, then screw it to the roof with coarse screw then seal over the whole bracket. You will have no way to leak . I also bought 4 golf cart batteries included in the price... Solar has come way down the last few months!! I dont know if a small panel will keep the fridge going while gone for 2 weeks. The battery will run down at nite. Think about a cloudyb day with little charge. If the main source is propane then the conturoler for the fridge may not run one battery down if it is sunny the next day. My plan is to back feed the camper with 120 ac ( in other words taking the shore power plug and plugging that to the 2000 watt inverter)

with the inverter and triping the converter breaker and running the fridge with ac and dc for controls I think with my sett up that may be possible. Then my boondocking carrer can begin

Wow just looked online quickly and they realy have dropped in price. So I hope you ignore my prices.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Currently just Heartland's factory 12V battery. I plan to move to 6V batteries.

A pair of 6V T120-size batteries will give you almost 4 times the capacity of what you have now. If you do that, you may not need to worry about solar.

ILH

A pair of 6V T120-size batteries will give you almost 4 times the capacity of what you have now. If you do that, you may not need to worry about solar.

You've given me something to think about... Now I just need to find a supplier with reasonable price!