Can't find the garage wall studs!

mrperrigo

I'm looking to add some wall-type tie downs in the garage of my 2012 Cyclone 3010 but I cannot find the aluminum wall studs. I've tried the rap test, a new stud finder (aluminum stud capable), and when think I've got it I tap in a small finishing nail to be sure and all negative results. Does anyone have the measurements from the garage wall back for the studs, or know where I can find a copy of the garage plans?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You may have to wait until Monday, but call Heartland customer service and have your vin handy. They may be able to help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Look at the outside of the rig on a damp cooler morning and you can see the studs where there is no dampness.

mrperrigo

Thanks for your responses. Looks like I have to give Heartland a call. But it is my understanding that they don't like to release too much information on their building plans. Won't know til I ask...

Thanks again and Happy Camping!

TNT

Thanks for your responses. Looks like I have to give Heartland a call. But it is my understanding that they don't like to release too much information on their building plans. Won't know til I ask...

Thanks again and Happy Camping!

Hello-

I would like to do the same thing to my 3210. Did you find out anything from Heartland?

Tom

porthole

Retired
The dew in the morning is the best way. Wait till you see, take some pictures for reference.

It took a lot of "back and forth" but I finally got a copy of the the wall for my trailer. Problem is I only got one side, and that was like pulling teeth, so I gave up on the other side.

The answer you will get with the blueprint is that it is propriety. Funny thing is, you can drive by the lamination plant and take pictures of the walls stacked up outside the plant.

u243412

Dang - I'm going to install 4 tie downs on our 3010 walls as well. Looks like it might be a chore.
Hopefully someone can post some helpful info.

u243412

Ratchet tie downs for a couple cruiser motorbikes.

Bikes go into wheel chocks at front and are also held down by ratchet straps to the stock D rings.
Bike engine sits on wood blocks to stop loosening of bike straps due to bouncing.
Bike back tires are locked from moving by a wall to wall brace. (Maybe a 2x6 with notches where the two back tires sit)
Bike front and back are secured to walls via ratchet straps. (1200lb D rings)
Bike to bike is secured with a rod between so they both ride as a team. (ie: one won't fall into the other one)

Chocks keep front and back movement stable. Wood keeps vertical stable. The wall studs are probably the weak link.

Or - I'm trying to think of some kind of brace to use... maybe a 2x4 locked onto handlebar going down and out to the wall baseboard. Like some kind of A-frame that goes over/onto the bikes - to avoid side to side movement.

We're heading out to South Dakota July 13. Rafter J Bar Ranch - here we come.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I only have one bike, but I use a wheel chock in front and 4 straps to the Floor D-Rings and my Goldwing does not move. If you have the bikes secured at 4 points each you should not need wood or metal rods to connect the two bikes. I have considered adding additional floor tie downs but the Cyclone Walls are just not designed for tie downs.

I did see one guy in an SOB connect his two bikes together with straps and each bike with a front and rear strap to the floor. He claimed to use that method for years and has traveled 10s of thousands of miles with out any issues. I personally think that each bike connected at 4 points is the best security for my piece of mind!

Have a great time in SD at the Ranch !!!

porthole

Retired
I would not use any straps that pull on the wall! The walls are not designed for that type of stress.

Between my motorcle trailer and the cyclone I have at least 20K miles using just wheel chocks (Bike Pro) and straps.
Two straps from the rear floorboards straight out and down to the floor, two straps from the upper fork area going out, down and forward and one strap around the rear wheel.

And I let the bike ride on it's own suspension. Quality chocks and quality M&R straps.

tammyinwv

This little tip worked perfectly for us. We wanted to install our stackable W/D in the garage of our new 3110. There was no dryer vent, only washer hook-up. so we went out early yesterday morning, and the stud locations showed up perfectly so my husband was able to cut a hole thru the side to install a dryer vent.Thanks
Tammy