Reducing Kitchen Slide Propane Fire Risk

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdk450

Gang:
I was particularly disturbed by a recent report of a Bighorn fire that was caused/accelerated by a reported broken rubber flex propane line in a kitchen slide that had been punctured/severed by tire fragments from a reported blowout. This could have just as easily been caused by tire fragments or other debris left on the road from other vehicles (think of all the truck tire fragments you see on the highways). Inspecting the hose under the kitchen slide on my BH 3670 showed me that it is very close to the left side tires and unprotected. Coming from a hospital equipment maintenence career, I know that although some events may have a slight risk of happening, still the consequences of that rare event can be grave. I resolved to improve the survivability of that flexible rubber gas line.

I first thought of using the ultimate flexible armor, flexible metal electrical conduit. Inspection at the haardware store showed it was difficult to get in a large enough size, didn't flex very well, would rust exposed to the road elements, and did not stay together well. I next moved over to the flexible hose aisle, and found some 1-1/4 inch I.D. PVC flex hose with woven nylon braid in the casing. This stuff felt hard and tough, yet flexible enough for the slide going in and out without pinching the rubber propane hose I was going to thread inside it.
006.jpg

Installation: With the kitchen slide out, I turned off the propane gas supply, and used a 3/4" wrench to disconnect the flexible gas line fitting from the iron pipe. I then cut away the cable ties holding the hoses to the slide hose flex guide. I slid the new 1-1/4 inch PVC on over the existing rubber propane hose to the end of the hose on the slide outside wall. I then reconnected the rubber propane hose to the iron pipe flare fitting and tightened down the nut. I turned on the gas supply and checked for leaks at the connection with bubble solution. I then slid the outer hose forward up to the pipe grounding connector to provide some more mechanical connection for the outer hose. I then re-attached all of the hoses to the slide hose flex guide with cable ties. I finally tested the operation of the kitchen propane appliances with the slide both extended and in, to check for hose kinking. Everything works O.K.
Here are the before pics:
003.jpg 004.jpg

And here are the After Pics:
010.jpg 009.jpg

Last edited:

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I would like to read about the fire that prompted you to do this. With the OPD gas valves on the tanks, I was told that they had a auto shut off that would shut off if they experienced a excessive flow. I know that there would be gas in the supply lines but would cut off after it senses the excessive flow.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

wdk450

I would like to read about the fire that prompted you to do this. With the OPD gas valves on the tanks, I was told that they had a auto shut off that would shut off if they experienced a excessive flow. I know that there would be gas in the supply lines but would cut off after it senses the excessive flow.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Michael & Kelly:
Here is the thread: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/30678-BigHorn-Fire?highlight=bighorn+fire

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
On a similar note, just a heads up.

I took my BH in for a slide problem. While the tech was looking at it, he had the slide halfway in.(which I almost never do.)
I either have it all the way in, or all the way out.

He noticed that my gas line to the refer. was kinked and a weak spot was developing in the rubber.

He installed a new one, rerouted it slightly and the problem was fixed. This could never have been easily seen when the slide was out, because it was streched out.

My advice to anyone with a refer in a slide is to look under with the slide with it partially in. Make sure the gas line has a smooth bend that isn't going to kink as it goes in further. Trace

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Wow, something surly did not go right there. I sure hope they did not change something on the tank. I saw where it was relocated.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
The tank was not relocated....someone was saying that IF it was a tank explosion as stated by the media...that the tank was "relocated". He was making a point that it wasn't the tank..all tanks are mounted in the front.

Ldo

Why do I not get the pictures on this issue important topic? Did I forget to do something or pay for something? I have received pictures.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Even IF the tank exploded (not likely outside of Hollywood), it would have been after the fire started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimtoo

Why do I not get the pictures on this issue important topic? Did I forget to do something or pay for something? I have received pictures.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

This thread is over 4 years old. So it looks like the pictures are no longer available to view.

Jim M

Status
Not open for further replies.