Full time for a family of five?

JCinMidTN

Greetings to all!! We are family of five currently in an older Class A. I think we have decided that the 4014 is a good choice for us, but would like some input from those living the dream. DW and I fell the bigger garage is a great place for the two boys (15 & 12), and the loft area is good for our daughter. We also like the fact the W/D hookups are in the garage and not the MB.

What we would like to know is this:

1) Is is better to have the extra half bath, and shorter garage, or the bigger garage area?

2) Are double-paned windows worth the expense and weight?

3) Air-ride hitch and suspension or standard?

4) What is the best way to cool the garage?

5) Is anyone FT in the 4014, and what are their impressions so far?

We would really appreciate the input and advice. These are the questions I have right at the moment. I will post up more as they come to thru answering any feed-back I get.

Thanks, and God Bless,

Joe Clara and family,
Nashville, TN

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
You will need some A/C in the garage. I hear they are not really insulated for reallt staying in them a lot.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

alaska dodge

You will need some A/C in the garage. I hear they are not really insulated for reallt staying in them a lot.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
JCinMidTN,
I would recommend the 4100, and yes the half bath is worth it. It is just my wife and not having a half bath in our bighorn becomes an issues. We are full timing it and have ordered the 4100. It offers the most space and a full size shower/bath tub and a King bed. You can order it with two AC units and it is ducted to the garage. Check out this link to the forum //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/29144-All-new-4100-quot-THE-KING-quot
there are some pic there on it. The unit is 43' long, and has a 12 ft garage.

alaska dodge

JCinMidTN,
I would recommend the 4100, and yes the half bath is worth it. It is just my wife and not having a half bath in our bighorn becomes an issues. We are full timing it and have ordered the 4100. It offers the most space and a full size shower/bath tub and a King bed. You can order it with two AC units and it is ducted to the garage. Check out this link to the forum //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/29144-All-new-4100-quot-THE-KING-quot
there are some pic there on it. The unit is 43' long, and has a 12 ft garage.
I think the double pane windows are worth it, I don't have a air ride hitch and don't think I need one. I have timbern's on my Dually and my fifth wheel ride just fine on the rough Alaskan roads.

TwoGypsies

We spent 3 months last summer with 2-5 grandkids in our 3812. Most of the time it was 4. Two girls slept up in the loft, ages 10 & 12. Two or three boys slept in the garage, ages 11 & 16 with a temporary visit from a 19 year old. We have no half bath and it was quite workable. We made heavy use of the campground facilities for bathrooms and laundry. We have two a/c's and while in Las Vegas in July we ran them both flat out with a box fan at the garage door. We held the garage at 77f. I think we could have gone much longer. We never tested cold weather below about 50f. We likely would have needed a heater in the garage.

tmcran

You are braver than I to F T with teens. I had two teen daughters in a four bedroom house with two full baths. Still could have used a 1/2 bath. IMHO get the 1/2 bath.

porthole

Retired
Having looked at a lot of toy haulers I have determined that 10' garages are a bit small for toys, a 14 foot garage is too big unless you need it for the toys and the 12' seems just about right.

I would strongly recommend you physically look at (no pictures) of a 14' garage model. And keep in mind, what you gain in garage you lose in the living room.

Half bath would be a no brainer for a "next" toy hauler.
Dual pane windows yes

I did not like the air ride pin box on our toy hauler and switched to an air ride hitch.

BarneyFife

Here's what little I can offer.

Gotta have that half bath; especially for the boys in the middle of the night.

We do not have AC in the garage. When we have guests, we run both the living room and master bedroom ACs and place a good fan on the floor in the living room. It points to the garage and we prop the door open. Has always kept the garage nice and cool.