TST lost connection with wheel while on the road.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We tried out our new TST 507 (4-unit, trailer-only right now) system this weekend [LOVE IT!] It worked great on the way out (2 hour drive) but on the return trip, about 5 min from home, started beeping that it had lost connection with one of the wheels (displaying no reading at all for that tire). I could see that the tire was there and didn't appear to have an issue, so we waited until we were home to look into it. All the sensors were still in place, and after turning the unit off and on again in the house, it found all the wheels again. Was this a fluke, or something I need to get addressed before heading to Gillette? My first thought was interference because the unit wasn't securely mounted yet, it was just sitting in the center console, next to a cell phone. Thoughts?

Erika

MC9

Driving home from our winter place in Green Valley, AZ we had our GPS, rear view camera, TST and they were all unhappy until I put the rearview camera antenna on the back window. I think all that stuff operates on about the same freq. YMMV.

TravelTiger

The TST was sitting next the cell phone (plugged into the charger and playing music) the entire way back, as I recall. On the way to our destination, it was not next to a phone, but was sitting in the cup holder area. After re-reading the manual today, it said this loss of display occurs after the monitor is unable to get a connection with the sensor for over an hour. So that suggests that it was working for a while, but then lost "touch" somehow.

Erika

olcoon

We had this happen to us several times while down in Texas over the winter. First time it did it, I freaked out thinking I had a flat or something. Pulled over & checked the tire & didn't find anything wrong, and the only display on the monitor was the battery charge icon. It did it at least 2 more times...on different tires. Called the distributor, and they ran me through all the "usual" problem areas & couldn't find anything wrong. They talked to the factory & still nothing. The factory said to send the monitor & sensors to them & they'd replace everything. Did that, and so far we haven't been on a trip to test it out. BTW, while going down the road my cell phone is either in my pocket, or in the shelf on the door, by the handle.

danemayer

I've had sensors drop out. New batteries helped one, but even though a battery helped for a while, a second one failed again and eventually wouldn't come back. Had to send it in for replacement.

Fwiw, I keep the receiver on the dashboard, to the left of the steering wheel.

ncc1701e

In a way, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with a flakey sensor. Actually, I've got two that read sometimes and sometimes they don't. Over the last 7 days on the road it seems the sensor on the right front of the trailer works in the morning and the one on the left front reads in the afternoon. Darn things never seem to read at the same time. Had this problem almost since the first day installed over 6 months ago.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I had a problem getting the signal from the rear door side sensor On my TST.
I added a repeater antenna in the bedroom closet and now it works good.
I think that my auxilliary tank was blocking the signal as I had the same problem with my Pressure Pro.

Peace
Dave

TravelTiger

Doh! Ok, thanks! We'll see if it becomes necessary. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have the Pressure Pro on my TV and Trailer since 2006. I also had a similar problem. What Pressure Pro indicated is that all the metal from the middle of the trailer, the back of the truck, the Aux tank in the bed and the cab metal causes the intermittence. To fix it I could install an antenna under the truck bed in the back or put a repeater in the front compartment of the trailer. I didn't want to hard wire the Pressure Pro in the truck so I installed the repeater and it works well. I still get a loss of signal but not very often.

FWIW
BC

porthole

Retired
I was occasionally losing a sensor, most of the time the same one. Changed the battery, didnt help. Installed the included antenna in the truck's headliner, no problem since then

Dutch & Di

It seems that once in awhile, it's like our computers and needs to be rebooted. What we have done on the few time we had that happen is pull over when we can then remove the sensor, wait 1 full minute then put it back on. I usually turn the monitor off 1st. It's not needed really but I like "insurance". When the sensor is back on I turn the monitor on and we're good to go. If, that didn't fix it, I would have to agree that you might be getting interference somewhere. Di

We tried out our new TST 507 (4-unit, trailer-only right now) system this weekend [LOVE IT!] It worked great on the way out (2 hour drive) but on the return trip, about 5 min from home, started beeping that it had lost connection with one of the wheels (displaying no reading at all for that tire). I could see that the tire was there and didn't appear to have an issue, so we waited until we were home to look into it. All the sensors were still in place, and after turning the unit off and on again in the house, it found all the wheels again. Was this a fluke, or something I need to get addressed before heading to Gillette? My first thought was interference because the unit wasn't securely mounted yet, it was just sitting in the center console, next to a cell phone. Thoughts?

Erika

TravelTiger

Thanks for the suggestions! We will monitor it on our trip to Gillette. If we try the 'reboot' option and it happens a lot we'll invest in the repeater.

olcoon

Well, the new stuff TST sent me isn't working! First off, the old plug for the cigarette lighter wouldn't fit in the monitor...too big. It came with another plug to hard wire it, and I finally broke down & hardwired it before we left for Gillette. Hit the road and the darn thing shut off & started searching for the tire sensors. After it did this a couple of times, DW found something in the glove box to tie the plug into the monitor, as it appeared to be too loose. Finally after apparently losing the signal several times, I took it off the dash & in the glove box. I wonder if they will be at the rally? Guess I'll bread down & buy a repeater antenna, & try to talk them out of some new plugs.

porthole

Retired
Both of the TST's I have had came with antenna extensions.
I was having issues with one or two sensors on the trailer. I put the antenna on, ran the wire up the "A" post and stuffed the antenna in the headliner. No problem for over a year now.