Crown Moulding Buckled

tcfake613

Wasn't sure where to put this one so it ended up here. The crown moulding on my 2012 BH 3685 is buckled slightly in one area. Does anyone know if it is OK to tack it back up with an air finish nailer? Would probably only need one or two shots. Anything to be aware of if I do this? Any idea on how long a nail I should use?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

jimtoo

Can you give us a little more information? Pictures? Where is it and what has caused it if you know.

Jim M

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Wasn't sure where to put this one so it ended up here. The crown moulding on my 2012 BH 3685 is buckled slightly in one area. Does anyone know if it is OK to tack it back up with an air finish nailer? Would probably only need one or two shots. Anything to be aware of if I do this? Any idea on how long a nail I should use?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

It would probably work better if you squeezed a dab of Liquid Nails or Construction Adhesive behind it before shooting a brad into it. There may or may not be anything in the wall for the brad to bite into to. Did it actually warp or just come loose? As far as the length of brad, I would not go much beyond twice the thickness of the piece you're shooting through.

GOTTOYS

Mine was loose in my bedroom. I hit it with my brad nailer and some 3/4" brads in a couple places. Worked fine. I went in at about a 45 degree angle. Your results may vary, so do this at your own risk...Don

tcfake613

Can you give us a little more information? Pictures? Where is it and what has caused it if you know.

Jim M

IMG_2448.jpg

Here is a pic. Not sure how well you can see it from here. As expected, it seems to get worse when the weather is warm and humid. These mouldings are tacked in with nails in the first place so I'm thinking it's not a problem. Guess I should call customer service to get a ruling on nail length.

ihsolutions

Mine did this. The root cause was that the moulding was just a hair too long in the first place. I trimmed off something like 1/16" and tacked it back in place. No problems since then.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
View attachment 19401

Here is a pic. Not sure how well you can see it from here. As expected, it seems to get worse when the weather is warm and humid. These mouldings are tacked in with nails in the first place so I'm thinking it's not a problem. Guess I should call customer service to get a ruling on nail length.

Based on your description, it sounds like Jeff has it right. It's cut a bit too long and expands with humidity. If you pull it away from the wall towards the end of it, you may be able to see how much excess needs to be trimmed. If there's wood behind the wall board, you could probably use a 1 or 1 1/4" brad on it. If you shoot into the styrofoam behind the thin wall board, it won't hold for long, therefore the recommendation for the adhesive.

I had a piece of trim along the closet at the entry door cut too long, so they fired a pile of brads into it and then snapped it to lay flat (which it didn't). They covered the half-axxed job with the fire extinguisher. I fixed it.