TV Tire Failure

Anyone ever have a blowout on a rear tire (single axle) while pulling a 10000# rig? How thrilling was it? I guess what I'm saying is, wish I had a dually...

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
That is exactly the reason that we bought a dually before we bought our 1st 5vr. Hate that you had the experience, but your sharing it reaffirmed that we made the right decision.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
One option with SRW, is to change out the stock rims to 19.5. Then you can upgrade to F or H rated tires. Load rating will be near the rating of a set of duals. Not a that costly mod.

Forrest Fetherolf

If you have a dually, you have 6 tires to go flat. :( A SRW only has 4. :)

That is why I only piloted single-engine planes, with multi-engines more things can go wrong!!!!!!!;) ;) ;)

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Good point Forrest. Maybe that's why Don liked the Hawker so much... He just wanted to hurry up and get to his destination before anything had a chance to go wrong.;)

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Hey, a lot of big truck trailers and rigs have single wide tires in place of dual wheels currently. It appears to be the way to go. Singles are in, duals are old school.

Sundance_kid

On a trip I had the driverside front tire blow, in the rain doing 65 in Saint George Utah. I just let off the gas to let the speed scrub off before braking easy. Most people panic and hit the brakes hard, not good. Also the big rigs have a lot heavyer wheel berings than a light pickup, wide tires will increase the tourqe on your berings. Drive safe

Well, boys, I think my original question must have come from a premonition because yesterday, about 35 miles east of El Paso, my right rear blew. Cruise control was set at 60. Glad to report that I came to a gradual stop with with absolutely no loss of control. No, I didn't mean that...I mean, loss of control of the vehicle. Tire pretty much remained in tact too with no damage to the rim. Slid back into Tucson on a wing and a prayer (and a serviceable spare!) and the truck is now down at the tire shop getting shod with a new set of Michelins. $$$.

All things considered, I'm sorta glad it happened the way it did. I can stop wondering what it would be like, and, I have a lot more confidence in my ability to get everything stopped safely.

Now, guess I can move on to worrying about other things - like, what does it feel like to have a blowout on the front with 10 or 12 thousand pounds pushing you. Stay tuned - I'm heading for the coast on Thursday...

Jerry

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Went back to work today after 2 wonderful weeks at the beach:( and a friend told me that he was on his way home from the same beach towing a tt when a rear tire on his dually began to bump at about 50 mph.When he would speed up the noise would go away. Since he was only a few miles from home,he decided to try and make it on in. Bad decision. Some of the tread came off the tire and some came loose but stayed attached. The loose but attached rubber beat against the fiberglass fender of the truck and of course beat the fender senseless.Now these were not recapped tires.I guess the moral of the story is if your tv is making an unusual noise stop and check it out.