PDA

View Full Version : Issues with my Big Country

kiwinraz
05-22-2012, 10:39 PM
We bought our new 3650 last Sept ,used it for aweekend to find any bugs; there were so many that we took it back to the dealer and told them to keep it for the winter and fix them.First (E)tires not (G) as advertised ,Windows would not close and lock,still waiting for one to be replaced, carpet on fireplace slide all fraded and coming off. They used three small pieces of carpet-NOT ONE-,in the little hallway from the bedroom to steps the seams had 1/4 inch gaps because the carpet was coming apart,toilet replaced,two furnace hoses were not attached.Well its May, and we got it back ready to use.Been camping for four days bathroom tap started to leak (fixed)now kicthen faucet starting to leak,and now the onepiece mega shower is showing hair line cracks( have fun fixing that one).This is our fourth rv and thought it would be our last , the one we would retire in .Now all I'm hoping is to get it fixed and trade it off.

SJH
05-22-2012, 10:58 PM
I am certainly sorry to hear of your situation. Not that it is of any consequence for you but I do believe it to be the exception and not the rule. Our Big Country has had some issues but we have overall been very pleased with the product. If you haven't done so already, I would encourage you to contact Heartland Customer Service directly to see if they can offer some help and/or advice.

Best Wishes and I hope the issues can be remedied to your satisfaction.

ChangingPlaces
05-23-2012, 05:19 AM
Hello
As the last post I am sorry to hear of your situation. Our rig has had some issues as well. Being in NZ it was'nt like we could take it back to Heartland. Our dealer in NZ certainly looked after us for the major issues, but most of the problems I was able to fix myself. I certainly learned a lot. I feel for you. Hang in there, I'm sure your'll get everything sorted. We are very happy with our rig and living in it full time now.
All the best Paul

cpl0199
09-28-2012, 12:31 PM
I just read your thread. I also have a 2012 3650. I too have way too many problems with my unit. I must say it has been my worst night mare trying to get the dealer to fix the problems. Heartland has been ok, but not great. I left my rv with my dealer last year in October and finally got it back I beleive sometime in March of this year. I constantly have to repair the shower door. I now have to tape it shut. The handle on the outside has broken many times (two many to count), the little plastic pieces where the door closes have broken, the refegerator doesn't keep food cold, I have had a leak in the underbelly since owning it. I finally found the problem and temporarily have it I beleive fixed. The outside shower was the culprit. The underbelly has been drenched in water, so I will be asking them to tear up the board and replace with a new as I don't ant mold. I would keep going but I am tired of typing. I believe you get the idea. Too Many problems for the money we pay for these. I will never buy another Heartland. I had a montana as my last and wish I had it back.

Good Luck.
Keith Warner

Appleannie
10-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Just read this thread. I have a 2011 Big Country 3450, second owner.I have been in it fulltime for 3 weeks but am dealing with the underbelly leaks. Keith, how did you deal with the outside shower leak cuz that appears to be one!! of my problems? My other problem is water is leaking from under/around the "winterizing system" valve. Because my mobile RV repairman can't get to me til Nov. 5, he suggested that I disconnect from city water and run on demand from the fresh water holding tank. This is a stop gap to minimize the leaking and it is minimizing but there is a continual seeping from the UDC area keeping several inches along that wall wet. Yes, I,m keeping it open and a fan on as much as weather permits to keep as dry as possible. Who knows what the floor under looks like and I now see evidence of after factory caulking in the UDC probably by previous owner. Hopefully, my repair guy who is great can address everything. Maybe going back to Dealer on some of this. Bought in California end of June.

Has any one else had problems with this "winterizing system" valve thing? Or other UDC leaks into the basement that you want to stay dry?

Thanks for any help!!

Appleannie

danemayer
10-21-2012, 06:30 PM
Hi AppleAnnie,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. Sorry you're having problems.

You might want to take some paper towels and run them along the water lines in the basement to see which one is wet. If you can locate the leak, a lot of this stuff can be fixed by taking a trip to Home Depot.

You might also want to take a look at the hot water outlet from the water heater. There will be two pex lines connecting to the water heater; cold comes in at the bottom, hot goes out at the top. The plastic check valve in the top may be cracked. If that's the problem, there'll be water leaking on that pex line and perhaps down the surface of the water heater.

Finally, make sure you have a pressure regulator on the city water. Some campgrounds have pressure higher than the plumbing is rated for, which can cause leaks.

dbbls59
10-21-2012, 07:18 PM
I have seem a LOT of comments with the words "plumbing leak" and "Heartland" in the same sentence. I too have a Big Country and I also have had my share of plumbing leaks. Numerous leaks in the plumbing behind the UDC leaving me with 1/2" of water in the storage area. My dealer re-crimp every connection there and replaced many rubber washers in other connections. Talking to other Heartland owners, many have replaced the plastic elbows in the pex pipe with copper. It seems that this is a very weak point in the system.

Speedy
10-21-2012, 08:03 PM
First thing one has to do when a leak is appearent is to turn the water off. Dry things out and then look for the leak. I've had plumbing fixtures and fittings fail under warranty and I have been to repair all of them in less than an hour and with little out of pocket expense. Why hand your rig over to someone that really has no interest in getting you back to using it? After things are stable I hit the forum to see what others have found and done to fix things.

rick_debbie_gallant
10-21-2012, 09:05 PM
First thing one has to do when a leak is appearent is to turn the water off. Dry things out and then look for the leak. I've had plumbing fixtures and fittings fail under warranty and I have been to repair all of them in less than an hour and with little out of pocket expense. Why hand your rig over to someone that really has no interest in getting you back to using it? After things are stable I hit the forum to see what others have found and done to fix things.

Speedy, I agree it is easier to simply fix problems that crop up oneself. However when a person buys a brand new unit for "tens of thousands of dollars" there are certain expectations to be realized.

If I bought a used unit I would expect to make repairs and fixes to it, but not a new one. Just saying.

How about this idea, if you order a unit from the factory you have the option to follow your rig during production and act as QC. During the night or off time the new owner can go through the unit and fine tune stuff, making sure things are "just right"

wdk450
10-22-2012, 01:10 PM
I think one of the factors to be considered BEFORE buying an RV is the dealer's service reputation. Ask on this forum, or check RVSERVICEREVIEWS.com .

Find a good INDEPENDENT RV servicer in your area if your dealer fails you. These small businessmen rely on GETTING THE JOB DONE to get paid (they don't "come along for the ride" with sales commissions), and depend on a good reputation (i.e. doing good and timely work) for repeat business.
You can use any of these servicers you choose for warranty work with a prior phone authorization from Heartland service. Heartland service even keeps a list of independents they have sucessfully worked with in your area.

Appleannie
10-23-2012, 01:00 PM
Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions and input on my leak(s?) from the UDC area into the underbelly. Am checking things out and will post here as issue resolves. My cat Aussie and I love our Big Country! It came thru the Nevada County "tornado watch" (yes, I said Tornado Watch!!) like a champ. Lots of rain, hail and NO internal leaks.

Staying warm and cozy.
Annie

JayG
11-08-2012, 09:00 PM
We also have a Big Country 3250. I call it a Leak Country, the hot water heater, cheap pex tubing and so on have leaked too numerous times to count. TV/ surround system hooked up wrong,Toilet would't hold water, and other "quality control " issues that should have been caught at the factory.Now to top it all off, the slide floors have rotted on the ends.This camper is only 3.5 years old. I'll bet the the money the dealer and the owners of Heartland took from me didn't have issues. Has anyone contacted the owners of Heartland with their issues?

danemayer
11-08-2012, 09:42 PM
We also have a Big Country 3250. Has anyone contacted the owners of Heartland with their issues?

Hi Jayg,

I see youve posted about leaks several times. Have you called Heartland yet? 877-262-8032.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GOTTOYS
11-08-2012, 11:16 PM
First thing one has to do when a leak is appearent is to turn the water off. Dry things out and then look for the leak. I've had plumbing fixtures and fittings fail under warranty and I have been to repair all of them in less than an hour and with little out of pocket expense. Why hand your rig over to someone that really has no interest in getting you back to using it? After things are stable I hit the forum to see what others have found and done to fix things....X2.... Exactly the way I deal with it!..There isn't a trip I've ever been on where something didn't need repair. That's true of any RV I've owned. If you aren't a little bit handy and able to repair things yourself..owning an RV may not be as much fun as it could be. My one and only dealer experience was so poor I never want to go back there. Almost every repair I have made has been relatively minor....Don

wdk450
11-09-2012, 10:35 AM
We also have a Big Country 3250. I call it a Leak Country,. . . . .Now to top it all off, the slide floors have rotted on the ends.

I would read this thread and talk to Heartland Service about fixing this. Supposedly the manufacturer of the slide flooring guaranteed it was waterproof, when it proved to be not that. Here's the link:
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/15265-9-00-to-prevent-slide-floor-de-lamination?highlight=slide+floors

Toy1Ton
11-09-2012, 11:10 AM
it is not only the big country I have a spot 18" by 18" soft spot almost in the middel of my kicthen floor of my 2009 Bighorn

Philip
11-09-2012, 10:02 PM
I purchased a new 2012 BC 3450TS in October 2012. A few days ago I drained the underbelly. I have located and stopped a leak behind the UDC for the outdoor shower, but it appears at this point there are a few other slow leaks that need to be addressed. How does one remove the crimp hose clamping used by the manufacturer while inflicting minimal damage on the plastic pipe? Where a leak is noticed, would it not make more sense to use a regular hose clamp requiring the use of a slotted screwdriver, i. e. the kind of hose clamp we have been using on automobiles for decades? I am 2000 miles from my dealer and there is little in the way of RV technicians in the immediate area, so it makes sense to tackle this problem myself and not wait. Thanks. Philip

danemayer
11-09-2012, 10:18 PM
I purchased a new 2012 BC 3450TS in October 2012. A few days ago I drained the underbelly. I have located and stopped a leak behind the UDC for the outdoor shower, but it appears at this point there are a few other slow leaks that need to be addressed. How does one remove the crimp hose clamping used by the manufacturer while inflicting minimal damage on the plastic pipe? Where a leak is noticed, would it not make more sense to use a regular hose clamp requiring the use of a slotted screwdriver, i. e. the kind of hose clamp we have been using on automobiles for decades? I am 2000 miles from my dealer and there is little in the way of RV technicians in the immediate area, so it makes sense to tackle this problem myself and not wait. Thanks. Philip

It takes special tools - a bit pricey, but readily available. I doubt hose clamps would work on pex lines.

Are you using a pressure regulator? If so and you still have leaks at multiple crimps, maybe it's time to get all of the crimps redone. Call Heartland at 877-262-8032 to discuss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GOTTOYS
11-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Standard hose clamps won't work with Pex. You can purchase or probably rent a Pex crimper and just recrip the rings that are on there. Aplumber should have the tool also..Don

Philip
11-09-2012, 10:56 PM
Many thanks Gottoys and danemayer for your prompt replies. I am using a 40 PSI regulator. I called Heartland earlier in the week and I found out I was quite a distance from their nearest dealer; however the company indicated they would work with a suitable RV technician. I think recrimping all is the solution. I will contact Heartland again re a technician or plumber. Philip

neilandnanci
11-10-2012, 12:22 AM
We also have had a lot of problems with our 2011 3500rl Big Country. We had a lot of water in our underbelly and when we were traveling and landed in Branson, Mo for a couple of weeks, we found a repairman and he came out and found that one of our grey water tanks had a leak where the valve connection attaches to the tank body had a crack in it. We had him call the factory and they agreed to replace it but we did not want to wait for 4 weeks in Branson, so we had it sent to our local RV repair store (not the dealer). We took it in 2 weeks ago and just got it back today. Now it is fixed. We have had lots of other problems, but since we are so unhappy with the dealer's service center, we are fixing things ourselves or having our local guy fix them. Not only the tank, but we have had the tv go out, the back stablizing jack motor went out, the kitchen sink came loose, lots of hindges on cabinet doors, and a real big problem was that the factory installed tv cables were faulty. Our repair guy found out that the end fittings were not crimped on properly. The closet rod came off, seal around the roof vent in the toilet area was leaking, and of course the paint on the nose cap fadding and so many more things. But we still love our Big Country and feel that we are finally getting all the little problems solved.
Neilandnanci

olcoon
11-10-2012, 03:48 PM
how did you deal with the outside shower leak cuz that appears to be one!! of my problems? My other problem is water is leaking from under/around the "winterizing system" valve.

Appleanne,
We were having leaks in our basement also, seemed like no matter what I did, I couldn't find the problem or get it fixed. Finally got it traced down to the outside shower. Somehow the knobs were getting turned on, no matter how tight I closed them. Also the lever on the shower head would get locked in the "on" position. I took down the bulkhead wall in the basement, & installed valves on shower connections on the backside of the UDC. Problem fixed, no more leaks. We had never used the outside shower, & now if we decide to use it, all I have to do is access the backside of the UDC & turn them on.

Appleannie
12-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Leaks behind UDC fixed. 1)Byron found one of the inlets? for the winterization bypass was leaking and when he was finally able to get it apart he discovered that that 1 inlet apparently missed having threading seal put on during manufacture and though on tight was finally leaking. Fix: threading seal applied and valve put back together. Leak #1 fixed. 2) As for the leaky outdoor shower, Byron first opened the cold water faucet hoping to find an adjustment of some sort, none. He said some outdoor shower products have them. He observed, as I had that no matter how tight the faucets were tightened they still leaked, as did the shower head. My solution, I said I was having none of this and wanted it disconnected PERIOD!! So Byron said no problem and disconnected and capped off the pex tubing from the shower box. We left the box in place, no more leaks. If anyone knows of a reliable, upgraded outdoor shower that fits the BC space let us know and I'll consider. Lets put it on our factory future BC wish list since so many of us owners have had the same problems with the outdoor showers. We do not need wet basements.

That said, now in the middle of NW storm #4 and a 5th coming. I've had 2 more water issues. 1) Rain seeping into kitchen slide at floor level. What would we do without our oscillating fans! During a break in the storm action Sunday I got out and started investigating the caulking along the seemingly decorative (NOT!! decorative) strip that runs along the lower part of slides. Decided it was likely the culprit, some cracking in caulk particularly at the ends. Fix: recaulking yesterday. I ran a bead of Alex Plus ,acrylic plus silicone, 35 year guarantee (right), a DAP product that a house painter friend swears by. I recaulked 360 degrees around BC following the "not just decorative strip" and looking for any cracks or breaches. With rain last night and this morning I am happy to report no wicking behind the kitchen cupboards. 2) Unfortunately, I also discovered on Sunday that the basement carpet is again saturated with mildew starting to form. A family pow-wow has determined that we believe its heavy condensation. I have for the second time unloaded the basement, this time into the BC. It looks like a warehouse with barely enough room to walk but I live fulltime in the BC and have no other storage. I have sprayed a 1:1 solution of vinegar and water over the black carpet the is wet and mildewing. The solution should act as a mildewcide. And of course I am trying to open up the slams and dry out the basement between storms. The final, more permanent fix is we have ordered a dehumidifier that is highly rated for this type of function by shopper reviews on Amazon. I am waiting for my NewAir AD 250 room dehumidifier to arrive which will be plugged in and running in the basement as soon as it arrives. Its may seem expensive at $144.95 but I think an argument can be made that that is cheap considering the investment and the potential damage/loss. I'll post again after the dehumidifier is up and running a while. I hope that my shakeout period with my new to me 2010 BC model 3450TS (manufactured 12/2009 after the big fix!) is about over...Cuz you all know we love our Big Countrys! I have been reading some other threads on the condensation in the basement issue and I'll probably post there to share. Does the factory know about this condensation in the basement issue and the black carpet mildew??

Hopefully stating dry soon.
Annie

JayG
12-30-2012, 09:48 PM
Just to let everyone concerned know, we wrote a letter to Heartland and the dealer we bought this load from(3250TS Leak Country). A couple of weeks ago a Heartland rep called and offered me a repair kit for the floors. The labor was to be at my expense. I told him that was unacceptable, I shouldn't have to put out a dime over a defective product. The dealer who pocketed our hard earned money never bothered to reply. These things cost way too much money for the problems we're having with them. We go camping to enjoy ourselves, not to have to clean up water leaks and make repairs. Thanks, Jay

ChangingPlaces
01-01-2013, 04:52 AM
Hi
We had leaks in our basement especially when I connected up to city water and also when the back flush was connected to the black tank. I found both of these fittings leaking badly. So I took them apart and sealed them up with sealant, making sure the curclip is clipped back in place with plenty of sealant behind it and all around it. I let them dry overnite and smeared another coat of sealant over it again. Connected them up and to this day there still ok.
Ideally new fittings would be the go, but when you are on the road fulltime you've got to impervise. I have totally repiped the UDC area now with John Quest fittings (quick release fittings). The chauking in the UDC area has got to be checked regularly as that leaked as well. I am thinking of modifying this area with one piece of plactic bent up to replicate the original with a bottom and a top plastic welded in.
Cheers Paul

Bob&Patty
01-01-2013, 11:15 AM
JAYG, not to be sarcastic or mean spirted. You say that your BC is 3 1/2 years old? Have you walked around your coach to inspect it for problems in 3 1/2 years? The slide floor delamination does not just happen overnite. There have threads about this issue for at least 3 years about this and the fix. Have you ever checked all the caulking on the roof and all the seams as listed in your warrenty manuel? Your "rolling earthquake" needs attention just like a sticks and bricks does. Nothing made by man will last without repairs and maintance. Nothing........

JayG
01-02-2013, 08:35 PM
JAYG, not to be sarcastic or mean spirted. You say that your BC is 3 1/2 years old? Have you walked around your coach to inspect it for problems in 3 1/2 years? The slide floor delamination does not just happen overnite. There have threads about this issue for at least 3 years about this and the fix. Have you ever checked all the caulking on the roof and all the seams as listed in your warrenty manuel? Your "rolling earthquake" needs attention just like a sticks and bricks does. Nothing made by man will last without repairs and maintance. Nothing........

Hello, Yes I have looked it over many times. There's a big difference between maintenance and shoddy craftsmanship. My water leaks in the plumbing have been too numerous to mention. The fittings and connectors are just plain cheap. I understand maintenance very well, I've been an auto mechanic for almost 30 years. As far as floor delamination, the ends were just "painted" over, not sealed, allowing the water to wick up into the flooring. Also I found out in later models this issue has been addressed. So in my opinion, the manufacturer should issue a recall on earlier units. I'm not basing this on the floor issue alone, it's the whole picture. Many people on here are having the same problems. Again we go camping to enjoy ourselves not to constantly bail water. Thanks Jay

Chas46
02-10-2013, 12:40 PM
JayG, I agree that this should have been a recall covered my Heartland.

JayG
02-17-2013, 08:56 PM
Heartland needs to do a recall on these defective units. Do not take this. I've had a few conversations with their "customer service" only to be told the slide rot in mine is from my lack of maintenance. So, everyone on this site with rotten floors didn't maintain our campers?? I asked CS to tell me how I was expected to "maintain the floor edges" and the guy said I should have used decking sealer on the exposed ends. I told him this is not in the owners manual ANYWHERE. He said the owners manual is a "universal " manual for several models. For the kind of money we pay for these things you would think something as important as floor care would be in there. Especially considering the cost of the repair and the damage that could come from it. I also visited a dealer that had several BC's about the same year as mine. All three had the same rot. What will it take for this to be resolved?

Postie307
03-10-2013, 02:11 PM
March 10, 2013
Sorry to hear the issues with your Big Country. We do too! We bought our brand new 2013 Big Country 3596RE last August. We have had about 40 issues. Today we have yet another water leak. We took out the drawers in the bathroom and the kitchen to check out where the water may be coming from. Low and behold---you would not believe the junk behind and under the drawers. Nails, screws, construction debris, wood chips, pieces of wire etc etc. Do these guys not clean up anything after themselves. It was just amazing how much debris was under there!! Still have not found the source of the water though. I had some things on the floor of the pantry and everything was wet. We have not been travelling or moving either. We have been in the same RV park for awhile. So why do we have 40 discrepancies!! I have a friend who bought a brand new Columbus 5th wheel and she had one minor issue. JUST ONE!! Do you know the time and trouble we have experienced just to get some of these issues fixed. We have to travel 5 hours from our home to a dealer and then stay in a hotel while they are repairing it. The cost of gas, hotel and our time and trouble..... Lets see.. just a few of things: Fridge leaks water all over the food, blinds don't work properly, drawers come open when travelling so when slides are put out they crushed the 2 drawers below the TV (still not fixed); bathroom sinks don't hold water and gasket needs replacing, shower leaks, shower door was not installed correctly so wrecked the gasket, jacks at the back were too low grade for length of our unit so they bent and we had to have them replaced AND they refuse to cover the cost because they said it was something we did for them to bend. I could go on and on bu you get the picture. It is over 40 issues now. We are just sick of it.

danemayer
03-10-2013, 02:49 PM
March 10, 2013
Sorry to hear the issues with your Big Country. We do too! We bought our brand new 2013 Big Country 3596RE last August. We have had about 40 issues. Today we have yet another water leak. We took out the drawers in the bathroom and the kitchen to check out where the water may be coming from. Low and behold---you would not believe the junk behind and under the drawers. Nails, screws, construction debris, wood chips, pieces of wire etc etc. Do these guys not clean up anything after themselves. It was just amazing how much debris was under there!! Still have not found the source of the water though. I had some things on the floor of the pantry and everything was wet. We have not been travelling or moving either. We have been in the same RV park for awhile. So why do we have 40 discrepancies!! I have a friend who bought a brand new Columbus 5th wheel and she had one minor issue. JUST ONE!! Do you know the time and trouble we have experienced just to get some of these issues fixed. We have to travel 5 hours from our home to a dealer and then stay in a hotel while they are repairing it. The cost of gas, hotel and our time and trouble..... Lets see.. just a few of things: Fridge leaks water all over the food, blinds don't work properly, drawers come open when travelling so when slides are put out they crushed the 2 drawers below the TV (still not fixed); bathroom sinks don't hold water and gasket needs replacing, shower leaks, shower door was not installed correctly so wrecked the gasket, jacks at the back were too low grade for length of our unit so they bent and we had to have them replaced AND they refuse to cover the cost because they said it was something we did for them to bend. I could go on and on bu you get the picture. It is over 40 issues now. We are just sick of it.

Rick and Ardeth,

You've posted this story a number of times and several of us have suggested that you call Heartland and speak to them directly about your situation. Have you ever done that?

Heartland may be willing to authorize a closer repair center to do your work, or may offer some other type of assistance to resolve your problems. Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030 and have your VIN # ready. If necessary, stay on hold until Customer Service for your area can pick up.

Then on your next post, hopefully you'll be able to tell us all something more positive.

Btw, duplicate posts are not permitted under forum rules. So when you post basically the same message in two places in the forum within a few minutes, one will get deleted.

tmcran
03-10-2013, 03:11 PM
I'm still concerned about the continued same old same old problems,water leaks,very little QC and trashy stuff left during construction. I recall several months ago that HL was going to make an effort to improve QC. Seems to be the same stuff going on.My daughter and son-in-law brought Jayco Eagle based on repeated problems we have had. After 7 months they have had no problems and have not had warranty issues. Neighbors are looking at other brands and eliminated HL as an option. Sorry to say if HL lets CS begin to slide ,then see them becoming like Forest River.

JayG
03-13-2013, 08:50 PM
March 10, 2013

Whatever you do, don't let anything slide during you warranty period. When they say one year, they mean it. I had the leaking shower door, the drawers opening during travel too. The toilet seal gave up early on. I even found the wires to the outside receptacle by the door stuffed under the interior steps ! No wonder the I couldn't use it. The second trip with it our luggage we had in the basement got soaked due to a faulty clamp. The basement was flooded. We had to go to Walmart to pick up a wet vac for clean up. That was fun. Thanks Heartland. I could go on also. Good luck. Jay

kowAlski631
03-14-2013, 07:17 AM
Just a couple of questions here, Jay. When did you purchase your rig? New or previously owned? When did you discover all the issues? If you have provided that info before, I apologize for not spotting it in your posts.

Martha

bwwalczak
03-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Wow - this thread is getting attention!!

First off, no one likes to hear they have ugly kids, even if our kids belong to other people. The same is true for Heartland's RVs!! Heartland's products are our children. We design, test, and manufacture with more care than any other company I have worked or competed with. The amount of time, effort, care that our engineering, purchasing, production, sales, and support staff invest to provide an above average product, is worth noting.

This being said, there are several main points that we must remember as we evaluate this thread.

1 - All RVs (regardless of company) are made with human hands, and humans are prone to occasionally making errors. People say there was one perfect man, and he was not around building RVs.
2 - No matter how many preventative measure we take (multiple goods receivers, multiple online/in station quality inspectors, offline pre shipping delivery inspection/testing, dealership pre-delivery inspection - which Heartland does and more), occasionally there will be an error that slips through. These don’t always come from manufacturing. These come with natural fact of 6+ TONS at 60+ MPH speed on government roads.
3 - Every RV company has experienced issues, many of the same issues listed above. Every company has warranty departments, other companies must have issues too. Someone posted above another mfg name, I was just inside one, and the countertop was so bowed, even the dealer was complaining about it!!

This brings me to the most important point. Stuff happens, it is what Heartland is going to do about it. Heartlands parts/service/warranty department is 2nd to none! This has taken years to perfect. If given the opportunity to they have and will step up to help with issues. Our folks are trained to work with the Heartland family, not just dealers. There are too many instances to list in this thread, but some could have helped if dealers were more proactive on clearing parts/service/warranty claims, along with careful nudging from owners.

It is my obligation to let everyone know that I don't just work at Heartland - I am an AVID RV owner. My family spent over 50 days in our rig last year, myself, wife, dog, & 3 kids. If my years of RVing have taught me one thing, stuff happens, unexpected, often head scratching stuff. However, like my wife says, "If you can’t be handsome, BE HANDY!!" My limited handiness has allowed me to stop issues before they mushroom out of control.

The Heartland family is strong, and understands that items can and will come up. We appreciate everyone on this thread that has tried to help customers with issues. True Heartlanders recognize that Heartland cares about product. Heartland's RVs have something for everyone, but more importantly, Heartlands are everything to SOMEONE!

If I can be of any assistance, I will do what I can. You should know how to reach me. Otherwise, if an issue comes up, get us on the horn: 574-266-8726. We can/will/do build the best RVs.

Ray LeTourneau
03-14-2013, 07:06 PM
Like!!! Thanks Bryan.

rjr6150
03-14-2013, 07:28 PM
Great response Bryan HL rocks

For20hunter
03-14-2013, 08:18 PM
That is exactly why I own a Heartland! Very well put Bryan!

Kbvols
03-14-2013, 08:25 PM
Brian appropriate response given some of the posts in the thread. Issues and problems with products that people spend a lot of money on can generate a lot of emotions. Your post reminds us there are good people working hard to make quality products.

JayG
03-14-2013, 08:33 PM
Just a couple of questions here, Jay. When did you purchase your rig? New or previously owned? When did you discover all the issues? If you have provided that info before, I apologize for not spotting it in your posts.
basement
Martha
Hello Martha, we bought our 3250TS in April of 2009. Brand new off the dealers lot. The issues started on our
2nd trip with the water leaks. A clamp let water flood the basement, our luggage and our guests luggage became soaked. From then on, more leaks. Hot water heater fitting( the plastic fitting was octagon shaped instead of round), shower door, sink traps, the ceiling fan buzzes and hums like a WW2 bomber. The UDC door hinge sagged and let water enter the basement. The dealer did install a new one under warranty. the hinge seems to be made of aluminum and is sagging again. There are more issues. Now last fall when I found the slide floors were rotting on the ends I had enough. Thanks Jay

JayG
03-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Wow - this thread is getting attention!!

First off, no one likes to hear they have ugly kids, even if our kids belong to other people. The same is true for Heartland's RVs!! Heartland's products are our children. We design, test, and manufacture with more care than any other company I have worked or competed with. The amount of time, effort, care that our engineering, purchasing, production, sales, and support staff invest to provide an above average product, is worth noting.

This being said, there are several main points that we must remember as we evaluate this thread.

1 - All RVs (regardless of company) are made with human hands, and humans are prone to occasionally making errors. People say there was one perfect man, and he was not around building RVs.
2 - No matter how many preventative measure we take (multiple goods receivers, multiple online/in station quality inspectors, offline pre shipping delivery inspection/testing, dealership pre-delivery inspection - which Heartland does and more), occasionally there will be an error that slips through. These donít always come from manufacturing. These come with natural fact of 6+ TONS at 60+ MPH speed on government roads.
3 - Every RV company has experienced issues, many of the same issues listed above. Every company has warranty departments, other companies must have issues too. Someone posted above another mfg name, I was just inside one, and the countertop was so bowed, even the dealer was complaining about it!!

This brings me to the most important point. Stuff happens, it is what Heartland is going to do about it. Heartlands parts/service/warranty department is 2nd to none! This has taken years to perfect. If given the opportunity to they have and will step up to help with issues. Our folks are trained to work with the Heartland family, not just dealers. There are too many instances to list in this thread, but some could have helped if dealers were more proactive on clearing parts/service/warranty claims, along with careful nudging from owners.

It is my obligation to let everyone know that I don't just work at Heartland - I am an AVID RV owner. My family spent over 50 days in our rig last year, myself, wife, dog, & 3 kids. If my years of RVing have taught me one thing, stuff happens, unexpected, often head scratching stuff. However, like my wife says, "If you canít me handsome, BE HANDY!!" My limited handiness has allowed me to stop issues before they mushroom out of control.

The Heartland family is strong, and understands that items can and will come up. We appreciate everyone on this thread that has tried to help customers with issues. True Heartlanders recognize that Heartland cares about product. Heartland's RVs have something for everyone, but more importantly, Heartlands are everything to SOMEONE!

If I can be of any assistance, I will do what I can. You should know how to reach me. Otherwise, if an issue comes up, get us on the horn: 574-266-8726. We can/will/do build the best RVs.

Hello Bryan, I'm glad you're here. I can live with repairs that are normal wear and tear. I can deal with maintenance. I've had numerous plumbing leaks that I repaired, upgraded and moved on. My main issue with this camper, which has about 2000 to 2500 miles of government roads on it, is the slide floors are rotting on the ends. I feel this is a known manufacturer defect. Delamination has been a hot topic on here.The ends of the floors look to be painted over with some type of sealer. The rain water is still being wicked up in the floor past this sealer.I went to a dealer 60 miles from my home that had 3 Big Country's about the same year of mine on their lot. All 3 had the same slide rot in the same places. I talked with customer service at Heartland and was offered the flooring only. As you know the main cost of this repair is in the labor. When I asked customer service how I was supposed to maintain the floor ends, I was told I should have used deck sealer on them. Why was this important step left out of the owners manual? Customer service also told me this issue has been addressed on later units. Thanks Jay.

Bryon
03-14-2013, 09:41 PM
Mr Walczak your defence of Heartland is great but from what I have read in the last few days about water leaks and leftover material needs to be looked after. I just purchased a new 2012 3250TS. As soon as I got home I filled the water tank and ran the pump. There were several leaks on the compression fittings. From what I see as an easy fix is to use brass fittings. Also the duck to the bedroom was not installed. These were easy fixes, but when you purchase a new RV and only drive 1 mile home and have these problems it is not a good feeling on how long this unit will last before something else happens. Please take my advise and make some simple changes to fix the water leaks and don't blame the govermont roads.

Yours Truly
Bryon

tmcran
03-14-2013, 10:37 PM
Wouldn't be much need for RV's without thoes darn government roads. :cool:

bwwalczak
03-14-2013, 10:39 PM
Mr Walczak your defence of Heartland is great but from what I have read in the last few days about water leaks and leftover material needs to be looked after. I just purchased a new 2012 3250TS. As soon as I got home I filled the water tank and ran the pump. There were several leaks on the compression fittings. From what I see as an easy fix is to use brass fittings. Also the duck to the bedroom was not installed. These were easy fixes, but when you purchase a new RV and only drive 1 mile home and have these problems it is not a good feeling on how long this unit will last before something else happens. Please take my advise and make some simple changes to fix the water leaks and don't blame the govermont roads.

Yours Truly
Bryon

To isolate one cause only (roads) is unfair on my part. You are correct, not hooking up a duct is indefensible. This should have been caught at several levels of inspection. Screws and leftover material is also indefensible. When/if a leak occurs in limited cases there may be a fittning next that could use corrective action.

We have made several changes, mostly driven by this forum! For example, brass fittings are used on all current product.

This forum is exactly for this purpose. So the people who drive change (I am part of that team), can/will make that change. We cannot always fix a problem unless we know about it.

We appreciate your important feedback.

mzcummins
03-14-2013, 10:49 PM
We have made several changes, mostly driven by this forum! For example, brass fittings are used on all current product.

Is this all heartland products or just big country

Sent using Tapatalk 2

bwwalczak
03-14-2013, 11:37 PM
Is this all heartland products or just big country

Sent using Tapatalk 2

All products are continuously getting better based on feedback. We work together as a team. Not all mfgs do that.

mzcummins
03-15-2013, 12:11 AM
Sorry i was a little unclear

I was talking about the switch to brass fittings, with my short time on this great forum it seems that most complaints that i see are water leaks and towmax tire failures and it has me a little worried cause the folks havent even picked up their 2013 3400qb but i know this is a internet forum and bad news travels like wild fire and good news travels slow

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Ray LeTourneau
03-15-2013, 08:16 AM
Sorry i was a little unclear

I was talking about the switch to brass fittings, with my short time on this great forum it seems that most complaints that i see are water leaks and towmax tire failures and it has me a little worried cause the folks haven't even picked up their 2013 3400qb but I know this is a Internet forum and bad news travels like wild fire and good news travels slow

Sent using Tapatalk 2
mzcummins, you hit the nail right on the head. We rarely see the comments of literally thousands of folks that have very few if any problems. Regarding leaks, my 2007 Bighorn had a couple leaks at the connections for the kitchen and shower fixture. One sink gasket incorrectly installed. These were discovered by me and fixed by me the day after we picked up the rig in July of 2006. Since then, not one leak! We were full time for 4 years and currently spend 7 months or more on the road. Oops, I almost forgot about the ice maker supply line. Got that one done too as soon as it was noticed. I might also add that none of these leaks caused any damage. I also have the soft corners in the floor of the bedroom slide but since I added the upgrade kit available for our rigs through Heartland, it hasn't gotten any worse and the bed still hasn't fallen through the slide out.:rolleyes:
I really feel bad for the folks that are having any type of issue with their rig. We pay good hard earned money for these things and hope that they last a while. At least we have a place here to vent a little when needed and find ways to resolve our problems.

Bryon
03-15-2013, 09:09 PM
That is wonderful new Bryan . By the way I love my Big Country.

Bryon

JayG
03-26-2013, 06:07 PM
Well Bryan, I guess I'm on the Heartland ignore list. Delamination is an issue you people need to resolve. I'll bet our money in your bank accounts didn't delaminate did it?

Buster537
09-15-2013, 07:03 PM
I am a newbie. We will pickup our new Big Country 3510 this week, having slide-toppers put on it. I am a little concerned about the drain pipe hanging down. It seems that it is lower than most of the other 5th wheel drains. Has anyone had a problem with it being knocked off? From what I have seen here the plumbing is one of the first thing I will check when I get it home.

jimtoo
09-15-2013, 08:22 PM
Hi Buster537,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I have never heard of anyone having a problem with the drain connections being to low. But don't wait till you get home to check everything out. Do a really through PDI before you ever leave the dealers lot, or even sign the final papers if you can. That way you can make sure everything works and you can work everything. Do it slow and try everything out from top to bottom ... front to back.

It would even be good if you could stay on the dealers lot for a day or so checking everything while camping out.

Enjoy the forum and your new Big Country.

Jim M

danemayer
09-15-2013, 08:25 PM
Hi Buster537,

The sewer outlet is usually directly in front of the wheels. If you hit something that breaks the sewer outlet, you're probably going to have some serious damage to tires and maybe also to wheels and axles.

kkamshop
09-15-2013, 09:01 PM
Buster537 The only one I know of that has broken was done when driving onto a leveling board that kicked up and broke off the gate valve.

JayG
10-05-2013, 01:55 PM
I just read your thread. I also have a 2012 3650. I too have way too many problems with my unit. I must say it has been my worst night mare trying to get the dealer to fix the problems. Heartland has been ok, but not great. I left my rv with my dealer last year in October and finally got it back I beleive sometime in March of this year. I constantly have to repair the shower door. I now have to tape it shut. The handle on the outside has broken many times (two many to count), the little plastic pieces where the door closes have broken, the refegerator doesn't keep food cold, I have had a leak in the underbelly since owning it. I finally found the problem and temporarily have it I beleive fixed. The outside shower was the culprit. The underbelly has been drenched in water, so I will be asking them to tear up the board and replace with a new as I don't ant mold. I would keep going but I am tired of typing. I believe you get the idea. Too Many problems for the money we pay for these. I will never buy another Heartland. I had a montana as my last and wish I had it back.

Good Luck.
Keith Warner
Keith, good luck with the flooring, I asked the same thing when my Big Country flooded my basement time and time again. They should start a unhappy camper forum for the rest of us.

Buster537
10-16-2013, 06:57 PM
I am a newbie. We will pickup our new Big Country 3510 this week, having slide-toppers put on it. I am a little concerned about the drain pipe hanging down. It seems that it is lower than most of the other 5th wheel drains. Has anyone had a problem with it being knocked off? From what I have seen here the plumbing is one of the first thing I will check when I get it home. - Well we got it home and went for a trial run last week. Heartland maybe using brass fittings now, but in this 2013 I had a leak in the kitchen and bath. Leaks were plastic to metal fittings, both hot and cold sides. No problem with the drain, but I am concerned that it runs for about 5 feet, approximately 2 inches below the 'I' beam before turning 90 degrees out. There were a few other minor thing we found but we really enjoyed the outing and the our Big Country.

cte.mactools
12-25-2013, 09:35 PM
I'm wondering if my 2011 Big Country bought new will stand up to full time travel when my wife and I retire in a little while. Had black tank problems in warranty period that HL first refused to correct. Many water leaks in pressure lines they blamed on travel on rough roads..pulled camper home on Interstate a total of 55 miles to house. Had to pull down wall in storage area to fix a leak, and was greeted with a dirty t-shirt, a bucket full of plumbing scraps, pieces of wood, wire, and anything else that needed thrown out of the plant. Using camper approx. 6 weekends a year. It is pulled 3/4 mile from parking slip to site to be set up.Front and rear fiberglass caps are in such bad shape they are going to have be sanded and painted this spring. My concern is if all these problems I've listed [plus a significant amount of others] have happened with no road miles being put on this unit, can I expect it to survive 3000 miles of towing and living in it mostly full time very shortly? We like the camper, but not very pleased with CS from HL.

danemayer
12-25-2013, 09:59 PM
Hi cte.mactools,

Even when trailers have more than their share of problems, things usually settle down over time. In your case, although you've had the trailer for a few years, it sounds like you haven't really used it enough to gain confidence that you've worked through everything.

One thing you might consider is to start using it for longer periods before going full time. Perhaps there's a campground near you that would give you an attractive monthly rate. You could live in the trailer for a month or two, but still have your home as a backup if things don't go as well as you'd like.

A month of two in the RV would also give you a good idea of how well you'd adapt to full-timing.

cte.mactools
12-26-2013, 03:06 PM
Hi Dan, we've really enjoyed using a fifth wheel over other types of camping and don't mind fixing small problems that arise. My concern is if this Big Country will stand up to being used like a quality piece should. Would love to hear from other HL owners about manufacturing short falls cropping up after hitting the road. I actually have very little confidence in the quality of this camper standing up for the long haul. Maybe it will prove me wrong, but with the problems we've had so far and what has been uncovered behind closed doors, all I can do I hope for the best! Thanks, Charles

VKTalley
12-26-2013, 04:26 PM
Hi Dan, we've really enjoyed using a fifth wheel over other types of camping and don't mind fixing small problems that arise. My concern is if this Big Country will stand up to being used like a quality piece should. Would love to hear from other HL owners about manufacturing short falls cropping up after hitting the road. I actually have very little confidence in the quality of this camper standing up for the long haul. Maybe it will prove me wrong, but with the problems we've had so far and what has been uncovered behind closed doors, all I can do I hope for the best! Thanks, Charles

Hi Charles, My hubby and I live full time in our BC3690SL since September 2012. We have had our share of minor problems that we have fixed ourselves but we have had more fun than problems. We have traveled lots of miles through 28 different states (camped in a total of 25 of them). We are now making our plans for this next year and the places we will go. My hubby writes our blog, check it out and see all our fun and minor problems we have had. I know there are others on here who will give you their stories..the good, the bad and the ugly.

caissiel
12-26-2013, 09:19 PM
We have FT in a 2009 BC 2500RL for the past 5 years and over 25K miles without any problems.
We did add some stuff to make it ours but nothing major.
Reinforced the main front closet rod, added slide valves, added a W/D and solar panels.
The axles and tires are originals setup.
We plan on keeping it for 15 years like the previous unit.
Our BC is in much better shape now then the previous after 5 years that we traded after 15 years.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk