Front Storage open to vermin?

B

BouseBill

2011 BC 3355. The front storage area is open to the elements around the landing gear. I would think this would allow water to enter when driving in the rain and or vermin when parked at your destination or homebase. Have any of you other BC owners found this to be a problem or concern?

Is this normal for Heartland construction?

Attachments

• 001aa.jpg
    001aa.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 003aa.jpg
    003aa.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 109

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
A little steel wool and some spray foam will seal that up.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I used pieces of plastic window screen to make a long "U" between the front wall and framing, then loaded it with spray foam. The screen helps keep the foam from shooting out the back and onto the ground. Around the jacks, I stuff soft foam sections. Doesn't seem to bother the operation of the jacks any.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
We did the foam thing too! We ended up with some water damage (wrinkles) in the lower front bulkhead...not worth fixing at the moment but it does bug me since I like to keep things looking new!

Wrinkle 1.jpg

Bob Vaughn

My son put our grill back into the front compartment but did not close the door so some squirells I think took up residence in there. I had to remove everything and clean it out. I saw on tv the other day that a mouse can get in, in as little as 1/4" clearance....My question is how do they skinny up those steel legs?

JohnDar

My son put our grill back into the front compartment but did not close the door so some squirells I think took up residence in there. I had to remove everything and clean it out. I saw on tv the other day that a mouse can get in, in as little as 1/4" clearance....My question is how do they skinny up those steel legs?

Ninja Mickey uses miniature ropes and grappling hooks.

CactusTwo

I got some aluminum sheet from the HD, you can ask a eavestrough guy for a piece of his rolled flat stock and carefully cut it to fit around the square leg bases, some pop rivits or real short screws from a ducting or siding company, clear silicone between the new piece and factory sheeting like a jam sandwich and all around from the outside to get a great seal. I also had some LARGE holes where the propane entered the skirting

JohnDar

I've got my 2 gallons of Mouse-Free, the spray gun, and my little compressor with me this "trip." The sites on either side are currently empty, so I might just give it a go on a calm day. The Mouse-Free is actually a gel-like product, not a liquid. If it works, GREAT. If not, we all know about a fool and his money... Wouldn't be the first time for me.

We're spending our first summer at a permanent site rather than our previous years as nomads. Heard rustling in the entertainment center last weekend, set a trap behind the vent and caught a mouse by the next morning. Yuk! We couldn't figure out how the critter got in so cleaned out the big basement; didn't find any holes but now have a clean and vacuumed storage area. Thought maybe it climbed up the water hose into the area where all the drain paraphernalia are so disconnected the hose when we left on Sunday. Really hoping we don't find the rest of the mouse family when we go back on Friday. Bought electronic mice repellers, so will plug those in as soon as we arrive. Will also foam the front leg opening. Appreciate the tip!

Karen and Jeff
2009 Big Country 2950RK

jimtoo

HI Karen and Jeff,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and also to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure you will get more tips also. Hopefully your friend did not leave any eggs to hatch.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

GOTTOYS

Doesn't bother me. I almost prefer it. I keep my Blue Boy tank, some lawn chairs and my outside rugs in there. Kind of like a little air circulation to dry things out if I put them away wet...Don

JohnDar

If mice gain access to the front compartment, they have free roam of the entire basement and under the front cap. Along with sealing off the front walls, I ran foam tubes and screen across the gap between the outer overhang wall and the framing. Other gaps occur where wiring passes in/out of the compartment and into the main basement area at the top of the compartment, like over the propane cabinet. If you look around up there, you may find droppings. I actually dragged nesting materials out from under the overhang before I sealed it.

B

BouseBill

Hey folks thanks for all the tips and suggestions. Now I'll have something to do when the temps start to moderate a bit. a little ruff outside right at the moment.....