Second 7 pin connection in bed

jbeletti

Yep - had it done from day one - it's the way to go for sure. Not too costly either. About $50 installed at most. Get a good one though. After 2 years, I had to have one replaced as the spring in the door hinge fell out and I actually traveled some distance with no lights or brakes, unknowingly.

Now I I've added an electrical plug check to my routine at each stop.

Jim

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

5catfam
It is an easy add on. If you feel comfortable about drilling a hole in the side of the truck for the plug, the wiring is color coded to match on most 7 pin plugs. I simply used splice connectors in the wiring harness under the truck and taped everything back up good and tight.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I truly like mine also, was an easy install and really didn't take long at all. The Chevy's already have the extra wiring harness, on the drivers side behind the cab, coiled up on top of the frame. Just have to get her loose and snake it to the rear , no splices.----Ken

5catfam

Thanks everyone. You confirmed my thoughts that it was a fairly easy add on. I jusr got my new vented tailgate and I figured I might as well make it complete.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Yep, have one and it is the only way to go. Install (two) number 10 - 12 volt direct feed fused at 30 amps. Helps with keeping the 5th wheel batterys charged up. Less voltage drop.

Forrest Fetherolf

5catfam,

If your 06 GMC is factory equipped with the tow package, you will find a 7 pin wire loom coiled up and tie wired near the fuel tank rubber filler tube. The wires are color coded to match the standard 7 pin receptacle. I drilled a hole inside the bed on the driver side about 4" in front of the fender well and about 6" above the floor to install the receptacle. The loom is long enough to reach and you only need to strip the wire ends, insert in receptacle, and tighten set screws. The 7 pin receptacle has instructions included. A screwdriver, wire strippers and drill motor with metal cutting hole saw is all the tools required.

It's so easy a caveman can do it!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D

Forrest

ChopperBill

One was installed when I got our truck camper but they didn't hook up the brake wire so I was using the the rear connector. Wired in the brake a few weeks ago so I should be good to go.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Jim Beletti said:
Yep - had it done from day one - it's the way to go for sure. Not too costly either. About $50 installed at most. Get a good one though. After 2 years, I had to have one replaced as the spring in the door hinge fell out and I actually traveled some distance with no lights or brakes, unknowingly.

Now I I've added an electrical plug check to my routine at each stop.

Jim
Jim, what type brake controller do you have. The Prodigy will change to two dots on the LED display if you become disconnected.

Cooper

It is simple to move your seven pin it takes about 30 min on my o8 F350. The brake controller is pretty simple to hook up and the prodigy is one of the best.

jbeletti

Ray,

I have the Prodigy. It even has a "c" in the display when connected. But I was not in the habit of checking the display except when adjusting the controller setting.

Jim

slaytop

I had a local RV dealer add a second connector to the left bed wall in front of the wheel housing. When I picked up my new Landmark (300 miles away in IN) the brakes seemed to work properly in the lot but, when I drove away, every time I touched the brake pedal I got full braking power that couldn't be adjusted by the controller. I drove about two miles and then called the Landmark dealer to assist me with the problem. The dealer tried to figure out the problem but couldn't correct it and we finally plugged into the bumper connector which worked correctly.

I found the problem at home after taking the connector off to check the wires. On the Chevy there are two blue wires in the harness behind the cab. One is for the brake controller and the other is for a separate brake light circuit. The installer incorrectly connected the brake light wire to the brake pin in the connector. That sent full power to the trailer brakes every time the brake light switch turned on.

I sometimes wonder if the local installer did it on purpose because I didn't purchase a trailer of a different brand name from them. I used them because my neighbor was working for the business. I will assume their innocence because I will never ask that question.

Forrest Fetherolf

slaytop,

"Innocence" or "ignorance" or "I don't care." Sometimes I wonder. On my round trip from CA to PA, I had Four Seasons Chevrolet, in Tuscola, IL, change oil (Synthetic Mobile 1). As usual, I explained what I needed, the oil changer guy runs down to the local auto parts store for the oil. Proudly, he informed me he used 15W50W mobile 1 for Duramax diesels. Upon checking on-line, he was wrong, this oil is rated for high performance gas engines and older cars and does not meet CH-4, CI-4, or CJ-4 requirements for diesels.

I only paid $144.00 for the wrong oil which included about $2.00 for window washer fluid. Fortunately, I am staying 7 miles away and I'll be heading up today for another oil change within 2 weeks.

Scary...........when you can't depend on the trained professionals.:mad: :mad:

Forrest

Country

Yeah, and I thought it was just me always being too particular about my stuff. I never feel like I can trust one of these "trained professionals' to do a job right and they seldom do. What's the world coming too???:(

5catfam

Install second 7 pin socket in bed today. Just like Forrest said the wiring was right there on my GMC and it was a peice of cake.