3055 new floor

soilmovers

After much research, I decided to install the Allure resilient vinyl plank flooring in the kitchen and living area. It's much thinner and quieter than laminate. Hope it holds up!

Attachments

• Bighorn floor.JPG
    Bighorn floor.JPG
    326.5 KB · Views: 603
  • Bighorn kitch floor.jpg
    Bighorn kitch floor.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 614

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
It sure looks nice !! Been wanting Kenny to do the same thing to ours maybe some day!!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Looks great! We have some that looks like tile, put it in our S&B laundry room (over really bad looking linoleum). It's been 2 years and still looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We've had a similiar resilient flooring called Tranquility for more than two years now...holds up like a champ! No problems at all and couldn't be happier with it....

000_0029.jpg

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Now Gus he has time and we have the stuff why not!!I only want the kitchen done no need for the living room, But it is very pretty!!!

soilmovers

Gus you got her kick started ,now I need to cancel my internet service,looks like.

Nick great job ,really looks nice.

Great job, Nick?? ha! Nick was building a lake while I was laying the floor. Just the way it is in this family. lol

Thanks,
Cindy

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I was going to ask the same question as Duane. Also did you remove the old floor covering first? Come on Cindy we "men" need more details on how you did it. It looks great!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Looks great. How hard is the install? Does it "float", stapled down along the edges?

Allure and Tranquility, although both resilient plank flooring, are install in two different fashions.

Allure uses an adhesive strip on one side and one edge, similar to a laminate inter-locking floor....with Allure you float the floor over the existing subfloor by "interlocking" each piece with the adhesive tabs.

Tranquility has an adhesive back on the entire piece...in our case, as would be most of you the existing vinyl does NOT cover the entire floor. Ours stopped just past the end of the kitchen counter in the living room area. We removed all the carpet on the main floor, then cut the vinyl away at the base of the cabinets, to expose the sub-floor, which is Weyerhauser OSB. Since the OSB is not completely smooth, we could NOT just peel and stick (if the floor you're covering IS all vinyl then that's all that is necessary...did that in the bedroom near the sink...worked great), we applied a troweled on mastic, let set for 30 minutes then peeled and placed each piece. Very simple and easy application...no matter which you choose.

We did use corner round to give a "finished" look...and kept a small container of adhesive for the fews spots that needed a little reapplication. After about a month, there were no more corners coming up, and it's been securely in place ever since....

When we order our next coach, it will have NO carpet on the main floor...just vinyl. If we want to change the look of the floor, we'll know exactly how to do it.

soilmovers

I was going to ask the same question as Duane. Also did you remove the old floor covering first? Come on Cindy we "men" need more details on how you did it. It looks great!

DIY floor anyone can do!

Ok, ok. "we" ripped up all the flooring on the lower level, including the carpet on slides. "we" had an accidental flood so it all came up and out the door- that's another story.

I would say the most time consuming part was removing the carpet staples. No other prep work needed other than a good sweep/vacuum. It's not difficult to lay and is somewhat forgiving if you don't have it placed correctly- at least in the first minute or so. It is recommended to roll the seams with a floor roller. Home Depot rents these @ $20 day. Why not?

Reviews pros and cons: The initial odor is strong so best to have open windows. A couple days and the smell was not apparent. Scuff marks show but can be removed with a scrubby pad and/or seal it with their wax finisher. No special tools required- razor knife, square, cutting board, caulk glue and a floor roller. Easy to cut.

I did make a mistake on the starting point/layout but fortunately, it worked out when I got to the end. The layout should have started on the longest slide.
Anyway, I used a chalk line to start the first row. If you are not familiar with this plank flooring, the starting row has to have the glue strip cut off- the edge that butts to the slide. I glued down the edge with Liquid Nails to make sure it didn't move while laying the rest of the flooring. There's about 1/8" space on the outside edges. I did use silicone caulk around the kitchen area to make it more water proof.
The quarter round was the plastic oak grain which actually looks pretty good. Also glued that down. Easy cut with portable miter box and hack saw- that's all I had.
I sealed the finished floor with their product- Allure cleaner/wax.

$44 box covers 22 sq feet. Home Depot. A few colors in stock or special order. Easy less than one day install. No major floor prep, no mastic, no liner.

I did not cover the stairs as I wondered if it would be slippery and fall on my $%#@. Part of the lower stair carpet was removed from the flood so I went with that and it looks ok.

Carpet for the slides- purchased a remnant close to the original. They put binding on the edges for $35 as per my specs. I used carpet tape, carpet tacks and a little liquid nails for the carpet install.

So there ya have it. It was more fun than running a dozer or scraper all day!

Cindy

klrful

Is it possible to get rid of all carpet, including slides? We have kitties and a couple of very old kitties who sometimes have accidents!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Some people have removed the carpet and replaced it with vinyl or laminate.
You may have to leave the carpet on the slide floors as that carpet overlays the transition from the slide to the main floor.
If you removed the slide carpet you would see the seam.

Peace
Dave