Garmin now using BaseCamp to upload to the GPS..

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I don't know how many of you use the application MapSource and BaseCamp by Garmin.

At this time MapSourse is no longer being updated. They are fully supporting and instigating BaseCamp.

There is a lot of difference between these two applications. MapSource allows you to make routes, waypoints and such and save them as a seperate file, same as almost all applications for some time. BaseCamp is a database system that is only one application file and everything is maintained in it. You can not save anything into another file.

There are some advantages to the BaseCamp, mainly because it is being updated, but it is a real work in progress..

I was wondering how many of you use Garmin GPS's make your routes from place to place on a computer then uploading to the GPS. On the GPS it's self or using the Garmin Applications such as MapSource or BaseCamp.

I was fortunate to spend some time with Roy and Sally (olcoon) this week and while in Kansas City Roy took me by the Garmin office and we went to the customer Service area and talked to Joe for about an hour and a half.

I would like to know what some of you are using and when we get to Gillette if anyone is interested in having a discussion about Garmin and their software.

I am not an expert but I like to dig into a new application and try to find out how it works and what it can do..

There is a Garmin Forum if you are intrested in reading about the software and making comments.

BaseCamp

MapSource

BC

olcoon

I'll answer for Bob, no they said they weren't, but suggested a model called Dezl (pronounced Diesel). There are 2 models the 560LT & 560LMT. Both are basically for truckers, but along with semi & automobile modes, there is one for RV. I checked on Garmin's website & neither one say anything about using them for RV's. Also the flyer we picked up didn't mention it. The guy we talked to was in tech support, so it's hard to tell if their R&D has anything on the drawing board. But I kind of doubt it, as they've got 2 models of the Dezl.

Personally, I like to try one out before I spent $340.00 or $390.00 for one.

danemayer

I've been using the Garmin Dezl 560 LMT for nearly a year. For route planning, I go to MapQuest.com and locate waypoints and destinations. With the Garmin connected to the computer, those locations can be saved as favorites on the Garmin (MapQuest feature). Then, within the Garmin, there is a route creator. Using the saved favorites, the desired route can be created in a minute or two and then saved. The saved route is safe for your profiled rig (height, width, length, weight). You can also specify some things about your route, such as "avoid toll roads."

It doesn't do things claimed by the "RV GPS" units, such as let you specify to avoid right turns.

There's a nice "next exit" feature that lets you look ahead on interstates to locate restaurants and fuel stops.

olcoon

Dan, are you up late or early? How does it do when it does the route planning? Mainly what I'm interested in, does it send you on "truck routes" and detour you around instead of keeping you on a "safe for RV" route. Bob has a Garmin "trucker GPS", and it'll send him out of the way because it "sees" him as a trucker driving a semi.

danemayer

I'm up early Roy. I'm not sure what you mean by "safe for RV route." It routes based on rig profile and preferences. So my profile says the the rig is 13'3" high (I put in 2" extra as margin), 8' wide. 60 feet long, and weighs 26,000. I sometimes set it to avoid toll roads.

This usually results in the "scenic" truck route. It keeps me away from low overpasses and roads that are not rated for truck traffic. It has routed me under 13'7" underpasses a few times, which fits with my profile, but is exciting.

I let it guide me from I35 around Waco to Texarkana, cutting a diagonal using truck routes. Also did the same on the way to Branson, and through a lot of Kentucky and Indiana on the way to Goshen.

One thing I haven't worked out yet is an easy way to force the trip planner to modify the planned route. For example, north on I-25 toward Denver, and west on I70 to Breckenridge. I want to take C-470 from I25 to I70, avoiding some of the Denver traffic. It wants to route me via Rt. 6. I've been having trouble adding the right waypoint to force the route to change. Sometimes have a similar problem in the panhandle where it picks one route but I want another. Mostly I just depart from the planned route and let it recalc, but I'd prefer to lay out the route that I want. I'll be working on it next week for the summer trip, so maybe I'll figure it out this time.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
The Dezl that Joe (Garmin Support Tech) showed us had three vehicle selections. You could profile a Semi, Auto or RV. I have been checking around and it looks like the Dezl has been out for some time.

Dan:
Is this true for your Dezl? I find it really intresting that an App like Allstays - Camp & RV shows more information about campgrounds and things we need to travel in an RV than something like a large company like Garmin. Joe said that the clearances is in the Trucker 465t, which is what I am using and I thought he said also in the Dezl. Only you can't see them but it routes you around low clearances. I would like to see where the low clearances are before I make my route.

Also do you make your route on your Garmin unit or do you upload it? I don't make my routes on the unit. I make them using MapSource and BaseCamp, that way I can adjust the route the way I want to go. I try to use any other source to check out clearances. So far I haven't had any problems. I preferr the state hwys rather than the Interstate and Toll Roads.

I was also wanting to see if many use BaseCamp or MapSource and we could exchange interesting tips and tricks for them.

BC

danemayer

As to profiles, you create a new one for each thing you drive. So I have one named Rushmore, in the RV category.

I make the route on the Dezl by adding start, waypoints, and destination, then go to Map. It's not interactive when
doing this, so it doesn't show why it took a particular route instead of another.

I'll take a look at Basecamp this week to see if it's helpful for what I'm doing.

porthole

Retired
Problem with Garmin and all the GPS manufacturers is they keep making newer models :(

I have been using a GPS 478 since the day it became available, it replaced a GPS 276. The 478 is a very versatile unit, also includes marine charts. My GPS goes from the truck, to bike to boat to whatever I may want to use it for. Even had it on the golf cart to see how fast it goes. And for summer bike travel I have live Doppler radar.

No plans on changing it either. Wish Garmin would continue to update - support it.

That said. I use Map Source, kind of a love hate thing. I really is not a good route planner, but it is what works to get routes into my 48 easily. Doing it manually on the GPS is very tedious.

Some things to note with Map Source. If you don't have the same version map on Map Source and your GPS your routes will most likely come up with an error when you access them.

Garmin's map updater service sucks. The odds of crashing the GPS or losing all your installed maps is high.

The only way I have successfully been able to update maps without crashing the GPS or the computer, is to bypass the automatic modes and install manually.
And when I do that I do a "computer only install, GPS only install.

And to top it off, this year's map update has become so bloated I can no longer install all the North America maps. I am back to regions, wish was one of the huge upgrades when the 478 came out.

Good timing, I just got a notice that a new map is available today. Brought up the updater service and it has been locked up for well over an hour now.
One of the tricks I have found is when you go to the "manage maps" page on the Garmin site is to select "option 2" and not use the "recommended" lifetime updater.

danemayer

Tried out BaseCamp this afternoon. It's flexible but it seems to rely on the POI database of your attached device to find desired locations. This doesn't work well for me because it has trouble finding distant RV Parks. The easiest way I've found is still to locate parks and other destinations/waypoints on MapQuest and send those to the Garmin, where they show up in the list of favorites.

BaseCamp can download data from all Garmin outdoor handhelds that support a USB connection. However, only those with the latest data transfer system (DataSync) can BaseCamp edit and upload data.
Tried out BaseCamp this afternoon. It's flexible but it seems to rely on the POI database of your attached device to find desired locations. This doesn't work well for me because it has trouble finding distant RV Parks. The easiest way I've found is still to locate parks and other destinations/waypoints on MapQuest and send those to the Garmin, where they show up in the list of favorites.