ATF: North Trail - Touch Audio

CliffP

What are the limitations of the DVD's our Touch Audio system will play? We had only played one DVD in our Touch Audio system (Redbox rental that worked fine). It's been a rainy weekend so we wanted to watch a movie in our North Trail. The kids had already watched the movie on a cheap ($100 Menards) Curtis LED tv/DVD combo that we put in the bunkhouse. The DVD was a gift to the kids (purchased from Walmart by Grandma and Grandpa). We got this message: "This disc is not formatted to play in this region."

The Touch Audio system is one of the biggest let downs of our North Trail purchase. The remote (no exaggeration) won't work unless it is within three feet and pointed directly at it. Couldn't listen to the DVD through the tv. The radio antenna wasn't even uncoiled and no stations would come in when we got the camper. RCA cables were hooked up wrong. The touch part of the system has locked up several times and had to be reset.

Its hard not to get sidetracked considering the issues with reception we are also having with the tv and how incompatible the two seem to be with each other not to mention how terrible the speakers sound. All components are part of the factory system and our thought is the system should all work together.

I'd compare putting the touch audio system in a North Trail to putting an AM radio in a Caddilac. Am I giving North Trail too much credit? Are we expecting too much?

This is the tip of the iceberg as far as the problems we've had with our camper. I'm still holding out hope we can get all of the issues fixed and in the long run not be totally dissappointed in our purchase. I can tell you we are deeply regretting it at this point.

So back to the point, should we be able to play a DVD that was purchased at Walmart in Baraboo, Wisconsin play in this poor excuse for a system? If so should we just add this to the still growing long list of repairs needed to put our North Trail in the shape it should have come from the factory?

Cliff and Mindy

Rusty0007

I would certainly agree Cliff. The Jensen touch screen system and audio are horrible at best. Frankly, I haven't even tried to play a DVD in ours yet. It's usually locked up when I try to turn it on. We've only had our 32buds for a month or so and it's been in the shop for 3 weeks. We haven't camped in it yet and we are leaving on Tuesday taking it on a 2-3000 mile trip. I'll say my confidence is not real high at the moment. I mean I expect issues with a new camper but some of this stuff isnt adjustments and such, it's just poor quality. Personally speaking, I spent the money to avoid cheesy junk. Heck I'm not even sure my speakers aren't blown or something. They absolutely sound horrible. I'd take it in again but I don't want to waste another 3 weeks just to pick it up with nothing fixed. I'm not expecting Bose but I assure you that they can actually get great sound ridiculously cheap. I still believe its a well built coach. I just am let down by a few things like this audio/video control system. To some perhaps it's not a big deal. However, I guess I'll be switching it out for something else, something that works decently. A warranty replacement would just provide me with the same stuff.

dl_camps

We are having the same issue with our Touch Audio system. It willl play a burned DVD but not one bought from the store. It also tells me that it is "not formatted for this region". The back of the DVD states region 1 which is all North America. I don't know where these systems are made to work if not in such a large area as region 1. And it will not play my SD card from my camera at all like it says we should be able to do. We just picked our camper up, and haven't taken it camping yet. Planning a trip in June. I hope all goes well for us. Sorry to hear about the problems you are having with your trailer. It is a BIG purchase, so I hope things get resolved for you. We have had to make a few minor adjustments to our camper also. Nothing that big though. Good luck with everything.

Don & Linda

Tmichaels

I'm very sorry to hear this. I just got my new North Trail 26lrss in the driveway 2 days ago. I've had the radio on a couple times and it sounds good turned down low but, haven't put a dvd or cd in it yet. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

PeternLiane

Cliff,

Sorry to hear that you're having issues.

This was our 4th trip in our North Trail. Our Touch Audio is working well. It's not a true surround sound system. But it sounds good. I do wish that the system worked better. Its hard to get from one mode to another. I'll have to try to see if the TV sounds works when the DVD is running. But don't go again for another 4 weeks.

We have bought some DVDs from Walmart that would work on one player but not another one.

pegmikef

I'd compare putting the touch audio system in a North Trail to putting an AM radio in a Caddilac. Am I giving North Trail too much credit? Are we expecting too much?

Cliff and Mindy

Yep, I agree with your analogy. I had to do all of the fixes you mentioned except the dvd player does work ok on mine, but since the TouchAudio has no audio out ports, you cannot hear the DVD audio through the TV speakers. That's ok for our layout though. The Jensen that was in our Edge was a much better unit.

goducks11

We junked our Touch audio and put a 12v car stereo in place. I just made a wood plate and installed the car radio in it. wired the speakers to the car radio. We use a 120v home dvd player for movies. I have a 300W inverter I can plug into a 12v plug thats installed in the TV area if we don't have shore power. Now we can watch any movie and listen through our TV speakers. The TT speakers are 100% junk. Just twist the cover on one and remove it. It's pretty obvious that Heartland found the cheapest speakers made in the world and installed them. Another point that we hated about our TA was the fact that the volume was not calibrated right. We would never get it to play music quiet enough. It was like it went from 0 to 4 on a scale of 1-10. We don't use the outside speakers, we think it's rude of people that do play them so loud. So we have an XM boom box that we can set near us whie sitting outside, so we don't bother other people. It's taken us a while to dial our TT in to our needs, but so far we have had no issues that were Heartlands fault. Had some cabinet spring strut issues, but we deal with them on our own.

ZNK

I would have to agree that the Jensen Touch Audio is not the best piece of electronic equipment for the North Trail. The device is not very user friendly and the fact that you can only watch movies over all of the speakers and not just the TV is a serious problem. Something that should be addressed by the factory. Maybe there is a fix for this problem. I am hoping to hear something on it soon.

JENSENRVdirect

I represent ASA Electronics, the producer of the JENSEN brand of televisions, stereos, and speakers and the Voyager brand of observation monitors and cameras. At ASA, we strive to provide excellent customer service and product satisfaction.

Please note that the Touch Audio branded product is not a JENSEN product made by ASA Electronics. This is made by a different company under the Touch Audio brand. Heartland uses our JENSEN wallmount stereos in certain models, while using Touch Audio in other models. I wanted to clear up any potential confusion there may be with who to ask for assistance regarding product questions. We (at ASA) do monitor the user forums here and we do offer technical support. However, we do not have any information on Touch Audio and cannot offer support on this topic.

It does appear that your issue is related to the DVD player’s Region Code setting. I would recommend checking in your owner’s manual or with a Heartland representative for a method to contact Touch Audio for support on how to correct this issue.

If you ever have any questions for JENSEN, Voyager or Advent products, feel free to visit our designated forum here at Heartland Owners:

//heartlandowners.org/forumdisplay.php/321-ASA-Electronics-%28Jensen-and-Voyager-only%29

You may also call our Technical Services department at 877-845-8750 M-F 8:00AM to 6:00PM EDT.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

CliffP

I represent ASA Electronics, the producer of the JENSEN brand of televisions, stereos, and speakers and the Voyager brand of observation monitors and cameras. At ASA, we strive to provide excellent customer service and product satisfaction.

Please note that the Touch Audio branded product is not a JENSEN product made by ASA Electronics. This is made by a different company under the Touch Audio brand. Heartland uses our JENSEN wallmount stereos in certain models, while using Touch Audio in other models. I wanted to clear up any potential confusion there may be with who to ask for assistance regarding product questions. We (at ASA) do monitor the user forums here and we do offer technical support. However, we do not have any information on Touch Audio and cannot offer support on this topic.

It does appear that your issue is related to the DVD player’s Region Code setting. I would recommend checking in your owner’s manual or with a Heartland representative for a method to contact Touch Audio for support on how to correct this issue.

If you ever have any questions for JENSEN, Voyager or Advent products, feel free to visit our designated forum here at Heartland Owners:

//heartlandowners.org/forumdisplay.php/321-ASA-Electronics-%28Jensen-and-Voyager-only%29

You may also call our Technical Services department at 877-845-8750 M-F 8:00AM to 6:00PM EDT.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Thanks for your response and clarification!

Would someone from the factory please list contact info for touch audio?

daward

Just to let you know, we have replaced the original Touch Audio as it quit displaying anything. The new one, in only 1 week and will not play new DVDs either.
They are replacing it again.

jimtoo

Just to let you know, we have replaced the original Touch Audio as it quit displaying anything. The new one, in only 1 week and will not play new DVDs either.
They are replacing it again.

Hi daward,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and also to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Sorry your having problems with your Touch Audio,, but looks like they are taking care of you.

The Heartland family is here with lots of mods and help if needed.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M