Satilite Internet

TXTiger

I just purchased a Cyclone 5th wheel and am ready to go on the road for a few months. Will be doing online banking but don't want to use campground wifi for security reasons. Does anyone have satilite internet with a secured connection? I have heard of Hughs anybody using this provider.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Hugh's net and dish both told me that they do not have the ability to let us travel with sat Internet. I don't understand that because if it is a stationed sattalite you should be able to connect. We did it in the army all the time. Well the commo guys did

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

wal_mart

We use verizon mifi with password protection. A friend uses his IPAD. They may be limited if you are camped away from cell tower reception. We also carry an extra satellite dish for tv reception, using one of the boxes from the house.

davebennington

We use Hughes satellite internet, at the house and on the road.It does take some getting used to setting up but once you have done it a few times it gets easier. The new Hughes satellite systems(9000 series) are not mobile, however the older systems are (7000S) they can be purchased in different places. PM or email me for details.

dave

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We used Hughes Net for several years....it was the biggest PITA we ever dealt with. Always was difficult to set up, even after we got use to it. Hughes Net will NOT support you as a mobile customer...constantly dealt with NOC (National Operations Center) gremlins which caused issues with connectivity. If you used too much bandwith they would "SLOW" you way down, etc., etc., etc. Went with a Verizon USB720 aircard and a Cradlepoint router and NEVER looked back...JMHO....

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I'm using a Verizon 4510L MiFi I bought from the 3G Store. It's worked fine up here in northern Michigan, where cell reception can be iffy. It worked in Calumet, MI, where cell is almost non-existent. We've taken it to resorts in Myrtle Beach and it's been fine there, as well. Even use it at home when the cable internet is acting up (or the modem took a dump).

When we first got it, I had a little problem connecting at our seasonal site. The tech told me the carrier for it is not the same as the cell phone. Once it got the signal, though, it's been problem free. It will support up to 5 devices, so we have our two laptops and a wireless printer with us.

danemayer

Friends had Hughes Satellite Internet at their rural home. They were always complaining that it was slow, unreliable, they had to make frequent calls to Hughes to get if fixed, and it was very expensive. Slightly better than dialup, but way more expensive.

We use Verizon with the 4510 Mifi from the 3Gstore.

Rickhansen

Your banking connection is most likely secured already. You can tell this by by the https:\\ URL - the "s" means it is secured. Mind you, it is not encrypted. You could also use a free OpenVPN provider to encrypt through the CG wifi. I understand your concerns, but nothing is foolproof and I don't believe that a cellular or satellite connection really offers any more security or encryption, other than it is a little more difficult to packet sniff locally.

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
We use a Verizon USB760 air card and a Cradlepoint 1000 MBR router, year round. We use it at home when not in the RV and then use the setup in the RV when at the lake. I also use the aircard in the laptop when on the road. Verizon is my only Internet provider.

My wife has been in Banking operations for years and and is very careful on how she does online bill pay and banking. Most of the time she will login to the website (Verzon,etc.) and pay the bill. She does have a couple of bills she does a check transfer from the bank to the place she is paying the bill. We've been doing it for several years without any problems.

danemayer

Banks all use Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption between your browser and their server, to encrypt the information you transmit and receive. It's about as secure as you're going to get. The problem that remains is that when you connect to a public network, like free WiFi at a campground, you don't always know what you're connecting to. It's not too difficult for someone to fire up their own WiFi network and name it something similar to the campground's naming. If you use the crook's connection, they may have tools that will get info from your computer or introduce a keystroke monitor onto your computer. It's more likely to happen in an airport than in an RV Park, but...

Private networks, such as your own password protected network connection to Hughes Satellite or Verizon Wireless, are usually more secure than public networks. But nothing's bullet-proof. And of course most crooks start with the low-hanging fruit, which is public networks. And the really good crooks aren't likely going to bother with yours or my data connections. They're thinking big.

You'll probably be ok no matter what you use.

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Check with your cell phone provider. Ours is Verizon and that's what we use when on the road (4G). Your right about concerns with campground wi-fi. I have heard there have been problems with satelite electronics...subscription is household and when you get a certain distance from home address problems start...keep in mind it is not the same satelite configuration/dish as for your TV.

SmokeyBare

My HugheNet experince... was like owning a Boat.

At First.... Happy to have a service that gave us the freedom to travel and not be teathered to a cable or phone line.

Over all.... A pain at times to aim the dish to the satellite... with trees in the way or heavy clouds between me and the Satellite... or gremlins messing with me.

In the end... How nice it was to park the equipment... plug in the AirCard to a USB port and hit Connect.... Shazzzzam ! I was Connected & NO More "Time Out" slow downs from going over my download limits for the day. Grrrrrr....

I like the AirCard we use.... the HugheNet "stuff" is stashed on a shelf... next to a stack of Floppy Discs... a well used 8-track tape player & a still blinking [ 12:00 ] VCR...

ghosst666

ok you think its easy to use this or that setup..try being canadian and getting service on both sides of a invisible fence,,we have some plugins on this side of the fence ,,then when we travel south in the snow bird months ,we try to set up accounts with an american provider to use for the season ,,wow what a pita ,,ok thats my rant ..

dave10a

Satellite internet is like DSL in speed with one huge disadvantage. I has a long latency time of one second compared to milliseconds. Which means if you use VPN the data response will be like the 56K modem speed. To me it make more sense to use Verizon, or equivalent, 4g with a hot spot than satellite. Unless you are doing a lot of dry camping in the wilderness. Then satellite makes sense.