Items needed for Direct dish setup?

wildwolfproducts

Getting around to building the dish for camping. I have the dish and a homemade ground mount.
Now wondering what everyone is using for setup?
Satellite Finder | Meter Buzzer & Compass
Looking at this one but not sure if its any good?
Sat signal finder

How long of a cable does most carry? Or do you just take along say a 50ft and a 25ft?
Landmark key largo will have hookups for both front and back TV along for the Outdoor one also. so don't have to run a cable inside. AS it has the hookup in the Universal Docking Center (U.D.C.). Plus rewired for Pre-wired for Winegard Trav'ler Satellite System on Roof.

This is something that we have never done for the RV. Now I have set one up at home. On the roof but never in a campground. So any good pointers will sure help also.
Plus this is the mount I have made up. See it in person a few times always worked out great not effected by wind near as bad.
P3161356.jpg
http://www.bbrv.dreamstation.com/sat.html

davebennington

We used direct TV on a tripod. I have about 50 to 75 feet of cable because sometime you have to move around trees. Now when it comes time to finding a satellite I use a birdog sat finder they cost a little more then the screamer but it is very reliable in finding the right bird. you can find birdogs used on ebay pretty cheap. Do not buy one where the version is less the 2.5 as they cannot be upgraded.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...ksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=birdog&_sacat=0

dave

caissiel

I use my smartphone with dish pointer app.
It uses the GPS compass and camera to give the location of the dish.
The camera can show the upstructions in the screen.
Also been using a $10 satellite finder bought on EBay.

Sent from my GT-S5660M using Tapatalk 2

danemayer

Tuning with a standard definition dish is a lot easier than with a high definition dish (like Slimline 3 or Slimline 5). The meter you're looking at will probably do ok. The hard part is that the meter will show signal strength from other satellites. So if you're not aimed correctly, you'll think you have a good signal, but it will be from a satellite that your receiver won't be able to use. There are smartphone apps that can help with aiming. They use the phone's internal compass and show you the satellite location on your screen, superimposed over the actual landscape in front of you. That'll help you get the right satellite, after which the meter will let you tune in a good signal.

I'm not sure about the latest Landmarks that have the outside TV, but the UDC used to have 2 satellite connections: one to the living room and the other to the bedroom. There are another 2 that go to the prewiring for rooftop satellite. There was no satellite feed to the basement connector; that's TV antenna and cable only. I don't know if Heartland added an additional Satellite Coax run from the UDC to the outside TV, or perhaps just TV antenna and cable.

Keep in mind that you'll need a separate receiver for each TV unless you plan to somehow feed the output of the receiver to multiple TVs. If you have multiple receivers, if your dish has only a single wire coming off the LNB, you'll have to find a suitable splitter in order to feed signal to both receivers.

50' of Coax will probably do the job.

Try setting up the satellite without using the internal coax in the Landmark. After you have it working with a wire straight from the dish to the receiver, then you can try the internal connections.

wildwolfproducts

Dave thanks for the birddog that can't be updated. Would not know that info for sure.

caissiel thanks on the smart phone. Not sure if I can add it to mine. But will sure check mine is one of the older phones. Verizon Pantech touch phone

danemayer the dish is a Direct Oval 3 sat dish fro Direct Tv. Box is Hd at home was was told that they would work with this dish and just not be HD. But camping I can do without HD. Just want News and weather channel.
The Key Largo will have the
Outdoor Entertainment Center w/ 32" TV, Stereo/DVD and Speakers. Plus will there starting this option where it will work with one of the receiver's you have inside. so will only be watching one box and both the living room and outdoor on the same box. But our box had the remote that works without being in a straight line with the box. When building out our camper that was one thing I told them we had to have. Was the outside TV work with the Sat also. So was told that was factory now. Where it was just Cable/ Local stations .

2012f_lm_san_antonio_50.jpg

rick debbie gallant thanks for that link.

I'm sure with my luck I will have issues with this. LOL But will get it worked out I hope.
Pete

wildwolfproducts

Well now have the above to hook up, Then also have the Wineguard Traveler automatic satelite dish on Our Landmark Key Largo. And guessing I will have to change something on our Direct HD Dish to use one of them?
Pete