Electrical problem

Had an RV garage built for my Bighorn. The electrician said he would put a 50 amp service in. Put the 5th wheel in and noticed the plug was a common 30 amp plug 3 prong, so I used the adaptor. The Half time over/ microwave started to hum. Long story short I think 220 volts went into the rig. The micro is toast, the frig had a blown fuse and it appears the heater element is burned out. The in house vac doesn't work. I'm not sure about other things like the power converter. The TV seems to work and the lights all work. What should I expect to work on and replace? Of course the electrician isn't calling me back. I hope he will take care of everything. Thanks Terry

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, sounds like your electrician did not give you a proper installation. So you know if he tested it? Looks like he may have wired it as a dryer or range 240 volt.
If the receptacle is the three prong style and you have a multimeter, you can check it. You should have only one hot leg on that plug. One should be ground and one should be neutral. Put your meter across two of them, checking in pairs, if you get 240 volts at some point, he did it wrong.
Let us know what you find.
And do not use that receptacle.

Peace
Dave

branson4020

Icantre Member
Sounds like that 3-wire 30A outlet was wired as 240V with ground. That's 2 hot legs and a ground - no neutral. If that's so, when you connected your coach through your 50A-30A adapter, you ended up with one 120V phase on the two hot busses in your main panel and the other 120V phase on the neutral buss. That's about as bad a situation as you could have. If this is what happened, your electrician should have insurance to cover this screw-up.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
It probably blew the internal fuse in the converter. It also may not have damaged the half-time oven itself, but if you have the glass-top stovetop with the micro/convection controls on the edge of it, that is probably the part that fried... it can be replaced separately from the oven itself.

BTDT, with a licensed electrician. :(

Lesson we learned, never never never plug into ANYTHING without a surge protector between the rig and the plug!

So sorry for your 'loss'.

E

hriker

I am sorry to hear that this has happened. But it does sound like the electrician wired the outlet incorrectly. I had a 50 amp RV outlet installed in our garage for our rig as well. Below is a link that discusses the proper wiring of a 30 and 50 amp RV outlet. It also explains how to test the outlet with a multimeter. I actually do this test before I plug into the campground electric. I hope that your electrician makes good on properly wiring the outlet and getting your rig repaired. Again sorry for your loss. Good luck!!

http://www.myrv.us/electric/