Humming Sound from Inverter

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
We are hearing a humming sound coming from the power inverter in our 2012 BH 3185 when all is quiet in the unit, usually at night when cooler and no fans or a/c's running. Looking for ideas on what may causing this or is it normal for such. Can there be a vibration due to the way it is mounted on wood floor and should the inverter fan always be running? Last time I had a constant running inverter fan on our SOB we needed a new inverter.

eddylives

Ok do you mean the convertor?
I noticed with our new TT that with four incandecant 12V lights on there was no noise from our convertor but when six or more were turned on there was a fan that would start up.
Just a cooling fan I guess?

Tombstonejim

The thing has a transformer in it. Virtually all transformer hum at the rate of the alternating current feeding them. In this case 60 cycles per second. Just go stand next to a power pole with a transformer on it and you will hear it hum. The transformer in most RV converter are pretty cheaply made and they hum. About the only way to stop it is turn it off or sound deaden the compartment.

brianharrison

If you have gen prep option package, the transfer switch that is installed in my unit hums while energized with shore power. Nothing to worry about. My PD9280 converter does not create a noticable hum.

Brian

murry135

OK so here is the Humming Inverter/Converter update. After a bit of investigating I found to have limit the noise coming from my newly installed AC power surge protector, HW EMS-50, by Progressive. Guess I will be on the phone tomorrow with them asking about this issue. Thanks for all your input in help us identify the possible culprit.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
OK so here is the Humming Inverter/Converter update. After a bit of investigating I found to have limit the noise coming from my newly installed AC power surge protector, HW EMS-50, by Progressive. Guess I will be on the phone tomorrow with them asking about this issue. Thanks for all your input in help us identify the possible culprit.

Jim,

My Progressive unit does not "hum" at all (at least not loud enough to hear), so something is definitely not quite right.

murry135

Gus,

I will be calling Progressive today for tech support. The whole unit vibrates when I touch it so either I have to mount it on rubber feet or there is a problem will keep all in the loop.