Bike rack receiver hitch

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
RanchoDestino, I moved your question into the Heartland General area. I can only assume you are referring to the factory receiver hitch supplied with your Landmark Mesa. As I understand it, that hitch is not intended for towing and is intended for a bike rack. That said, I don't believe it has any class rating.

jbeletti

I agree with Ray - doubt it has a class rating. I believe it's rated for something like 150 pounds, though I wouldn't want to hang 150 pounds on a bike rack on the 1-1/4" receiver.

danemayer

If you have the bike rack receiver hitch on your Landmark, it's 1 1/4" and would generally be considered a Class I hitch. But the Heartland application is to use it for a bicycle rack, not for towing.

You might think that since 1 1/4" receivers are Class I, it would allow you to load it with up to 200 # tongue weight and 2000# towing weight, but that's only a general statement about class I receivers. The receiver is attached to the frame of the RV and is only as good as the weakest link. Lippert says that you could damage the frame by towing anything and that towing would void the frame warranty.

megacabby

Not sure how to post pictures on this site just yet however, the 2011 Big Country 3595RE has a bracket on each side below the the GEL Coat Fibreglass Rear Cap; probably for a hitch of some sort. Note however, I've ordered a Curt 13703 from Amazon and the hitch hangs too low from the frame and bracket. On the other hand and according to Specs from Hidden Hitch, the Hidden Hitch 82201 may be of better choice for Bike Rack application.