battery wont charge while plugged in??

ajpuketza

ok, just got back from camping at robin hill campground in PA, i charged the battery befor we left for camping with a trickel charger. friday night it was fine everything was working great, saturday at about 1pm the radio stoped working and the fridge stoped working and the ac wouldnt work rite the fan would work but as soon as the compressor would kick on the unit would shut off,i cheeked the battery and it was dead. had to run to cabelas and buy a new battery. put the new battery in and everything worked great again. why is my battery not recharging when pluged in?? it charges when hooked to my truck. this was our 3rd time using the camper. any imput is appricated.

jimtoo

Re: battery wont charge while pluged in??

Hi ajpuketza,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

It would help if we knew what unit you have and also the type of converter your unit has. Don't know why 12v would have anything to do with the a/c at all. But you may have a fuse blown on the converter. The fuse for the converter are located on the converter itself, not in the fuse panel.

Let us know what you find.

Jim M

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

I would suggest the converter is not working. The converter acts as a battery charger and if it is not working the battery will not charge and once you have used up what charge the battery had the 12 volt system quits working. Things to check are:
1-the circuit breaker controlling converter
2-the 3 fuses on the converter itself
3-the wall outlet the converter is plugged into
4-the circuit breaker controlling the wall outlet the converter is plugged into
5-make sure the converter is plugged into the wall.
6-the battery is not dead or has one or more dead cells
7-the fluid level in the battery
8-the output of the converter (should be 12.5-14.5 volts dc)
To get by temporarily you can plug a battery charger on the battery to give you the 12 volts.

Many times it is as simple as the converter has come unplugged from the wall (vibration from the road shook the plug loose)

Hope this gives you somewhere to start.

davidg

Gratz has a good plan, good input, when you get to the converter check your wall outlet for 120 v, if checks ok, then on the end of the converter the red & white wires check and see if you have 13.5v, with 120v comming in you should have 13.5v comming out going to the battery, no 13.5 volts converter problems, with 13.5v comming out check at the battery you should have 13.5v their also.
Good luck,
Davidg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

If your AC, refer and radio all quit working check the power coming from the park.
You may have had a surge or low power, brown out.
Do you use surge protection?

Peace
Dave

danemayer

In case you don't know, the converter is usually behind the basement wall. If you have a UDC, there are 3 screws from there going into the plywood and 3 more screws along the inside edge of the removable panel.

Before you go too far, check all of your AC circuit breakers, and then check to make sure the converter is plugged in.

I think the Air Conditioning control unit relies on the thermostat which uses low voltage DC, so a dead battery could probably take out the Air. The refrigerator also needs DC for it's logic board.