ATF: Big Country - Energy Management System

Bob Vaughn

Is an Energy Management System available for the Big Country? If so what is the brand and can it be retrofitted? I am not talking about a surge protector.....

B

bwwalczak

Big Country does not offer an energy management system from the factory. When installing an EMS, it will require rewiring the coach to shed loads from high usage 110V equiptment. This can be done, however, we design our Big Countrys to run everything when connected to 50AMP power.

SilverRhino

Electrical Management System (EMS) Hardwire Installation is a link to my installation on our BC. It was very simple and I feel much better having it on board.

branson4020

Icantre Member
There is some confusion in the responses here. The OP was not asking about surge protection, like the Progressive Industries EMS, but rather a load management system, also widely known as an energy management systems. They switch loads in your trailer on and off to keep within the limits of your 50A service. The Progressive Industries device just has an unfortunate coincidence of model name.

SilverRhino

There is some confusion in the responses here. The OP was not asking about surge protection, like the Progressive Industries EMS, but rather a load management system, also widely known as an energy management systems. They switch loads in your trailer on and off to keep within the limits of your 50A service. The Progressive Industries device just has an unfortunate coincidence of model name.

Sorry......Read it too fast! Thanks for catching that.

GOTTOYS

That being the case, I don't know that I ever heard of such thing or felt I needed one, for an RV...Don

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
That being the case, I don't know that I ever heard of such thing or felt I needed one, for an RV...Don

I'm with you on this one Don (or Kathy:)). I run two A/Cs, a washer and a separate dryer, along with the microwave, TV, etc (not all necessarily at the same time), and have never had a problem. Guess I am the Energy Management System for my rig:confused:.

Bob Vaughn

What I would like to accomplish is being able to do is having a device that would run the front a/c for a while the run the back a/c for a while while on 30 amp service. I can do it manually but in this automated age there should be a way to do it electronically. On 50 amp service both can run simultaneously with no problem.

GOTTOYS

I just can't see what you would gain. Why not just run the one in the area you are in and use a small fan perhaps, to circulate the cold air into the other, or close the doors and seal one area off? It's not like you have instant cold air blowing out of an air conditioner the second you turn it on...Just doesn't sound very practical....Don

Sent from Commodore Vic-20 using Hunt & Peck 1