4012 Due in July 20th, 2007

akers123

I am new to the forum but very excited about getting our Cyclone 4012. My son races motorcross and we started out in the back of an open trailer. Moved to a Wildwood Toy Hauler 29Foot and now 1 year later, upgrading to the BIGGEST OF BIG, Cyclone 4012.

I have been reading alot and had a few questions.

1. Does the Cyclone come with a spare tire?
2. Am I correct when I say that only 1 TV comes with the the Rig right?
3. I am a bit concerned about the Gray water capacity, does anyone use a portable dump for this? We alway dry camp.
4. I do not really like the look of the netting in the storage area above the kitchen so I am going to take that down as a first thing (until we need the storage area I guess).
5. We have a Ford F350 single wheel and I am a bit nervous about pulling, does anyone one else pull this with 350?
6. We had to special order because all the dealers here have the beds in the back and we don't want them. We need the stoarge in the guarage.

I am VERY VERY excited and have learned alot from reading this board. Thanks to everyon.

Kristi
2008 Cyclone 4012 Due in July 20th

russell

Congratulations and best of luck with your new rig!,

I have a 2008 Cyclone 4012 and I love the floor plan, there is plenty of room to entertain.
Read up on everything on the forum there is plenty of information to gather. I have run into just about everything that is posted. If you are handy like I am, you will not have any problem correcting the various things you will read about. I pity the people who have to return to the dealer for everything. Most of the problems are minor and will require more time than materials to correct. The major problem is that these RV manufacturers are not paying attention to detail. Tires are the one thing that are a huge probem in my opinion. They where the first thing to be changed on my rig. Seven tires are not cheap ( I changed the spare also) I had the dealer knock off an additional grand to pay for the tires. My rig came with Mission D rated tires and I replaced them with Denman load range E tires. The guys at the tire shop could not believe the difference in the casings. Like the difference between shoes and socks!

My rig was on stock at the dealer. It did come with a spare tire. My "window sticker" said 19" tv in the bedroom which was not there, so I had the dealer provide one. I have a 25 gallon "honey wagon" to empty the grey water while camping with no hookups which works provided there is a dump station. I have been towing with an 2004 f-450, 6.0 superduty cab and chassis that was made into a pickup truck by welding two beds together to form a nine foot bed. You never forget that your towing this thing! I had the usual turbo and head gasket problems so I have traded the truck in for the new F-450 pickup with the 6.4 but I have to get some miles on it before I can try towing. You will be overloaded with your 350.

What goes better with a new fifth wheel than a new truck!

Best of luck,
Russ

Country

It only comes with one main TV in the entertainment center. It does have a place in the master bedroom and the bunk area for a small 19” TV, but it doesn’t come from the factory with them.

I too am concerned about the 45gal grey, but we like the floor plan so much we’re going to live with it. The honey wagon is a good idea, but I don’t really want to store it when not in use (like you I need all my garage space).

I recommend ordering it with 6k axles and 16” tires from the factory. On the online video they talk a lot about safety, but that isn’t evident in their axle/tire selection....

I know opinions differ, but I really think you’ll be unsafe with a SRW truck. Duals really seem to handle the weight better and take a lot of sway out of the ride in my opinion.

We’re still saving for the big purchase, but are very excited to have finally settled on the Cyclone 4012 (after 1 1/2 years of looking). Hopefully we’ll be ordering in a few months.
We (my little girl and I) race Hare Scrambles in the VCHSS here in Virginia.

Last edited:

Loco

To heavy for F-350 Single rear wheel

I agree with Russ on this one. We have a 3795 and pull with F-350 6.0 PS,Tow Boss, DRW and we are pushing the limits with our rig. Our trucks pulls it great But when we have two Harleys,one dirt bike and full load of water and supplies for a 4 day rally you know that you have one big rig behind you. I have been driving big trucks for over 30 years and drove semi trucks for 5 years back in the 70s and I would not pull these trailers with single rear pickup.When you come off a mountain road with one of these trailers you better have daul rears to keep it in the curves safely. Don't get me wrong these trailers pull and track great. But you must have a truck with Balls big ones. I would like to go up to a F-650 with a Cummins one day.

vbrookslv

FWIW,

I tow my 4012 with a 2005 F350 SRW LB. Fully loaded with my 2 Honda Rincon 680's, and full water, it handles pretty well. Seems to handle even better when I get to the campsite and have no water left. :) But that's a separate thread... When I replace this truck in a few years, I have been thinking about going with the dually. We'll see. More than anything, I think I just need more power on the uphills. Otherwise it's been fine. I'm kinda leery of limiting myself with a dually when it comes to upgraded tires and such. Dunno, we'll see how the next few years goes.

Mine only had the sweet living room TV, but it has issue with Over-The-Air signals. Since it is not an Analog set, you can't plug it in and turn the antenna until you see a better picture. It seems to have this thing where you have to let it scan for channels, which takes several minutes, only to have it not find anything. Turn antenna 20deg, lather, rinse, repeat. I don't really have a big expectation of USING a TV in the bedroom (by the time I hit the bed, I am exhausted, and must sleep so I can be up before the kids). BUT, at this point, I think I am going to add a simple analog TV back there just to use as a signal strength meter while turning the antenna. :)

I have only ever gotten a signal once, and it was in the valley right below the local antenna mountain, so I could see the towers. The only channel I got was one of the local HD channels, but I could not get any of the corresponding analog signals. Hmpf.

After the summer heat settles down here in Vegas, I have been meaning to take a multimeter to my whole antenna cabling setup, because I suspect something is wrong. The one time I have stayed in a campsite with cable TV, I had to buy an RG6 patch cable, and it turned out to be bad! So I wasn't able to validate the rest of the system.

Well, this post turned out to be longer than I intended. *poof*

jbeletti

vbrookslv,

Sounds like an issue with your antenna system. When you're ready to start testing with your multimeter, also check all of the fittings to ensure proper craftsmanship. The center conductor should be flush with the top of the fitting. The foam dialectric should be flush with the bottom of the inside of the fitting. There should be no braid hair visible inside the connector. There should be no foil shield rolling up over the dialectric and encroaching near the center conductor.

Also make sure the antenna amplifier is on. The power supply is usually built into the Winegard RF switcher. The amplifier is usually built into the head of the antenna.

Best of luck,

Jim

vbrookslv

Jim,

Thanks for the info. Fortunately, getting into cabling, 12v, and signal distribution is a little more in my area than some of these other systems, so I have no doubt I can figure out (and fix) that one. I have my own gear for (re)terminating Coax (and Twisted Pair, and Fiber).

On another note, I have actually been debating about getting some mobile Internet, ala the Datastorm product. Unfortunately, those things are $5k installed, and that is just a ton of money. My thing is that, among other things, I admin an ISP. That means I must ALWAYS be reachable. If I had internet, then I could do some VOIP phone over it (granted, it would be awful with the sat latency, but better than nothing), along with remote administration, and I could be reachable. This would mean I could camp for longer periods without worry of a catastrophe while I am gone. I have thought about the tripod thing to save some money, but the fact is, I have enough crap to setup at camp, and the thought of my kids mowing down the tripod every half-hour in their mini-John Deere Gator (powerwheels) is not that appealing. Maybe next year. ::sigh::

akers123

VBROOKSLV - You are still having problems keeping water while traveling? Have you taken the rig back to have it worked on?

jpmorgan37

vbrookslv;

I have a tripod system for Direcway and am very happy with it. It takes me between 10 and 15 minutes to completely set it up and be on line. Properly anchored, I don't think you would experience any problem with the young folks "mowing it down". I prefer the tripod because too many times (like where I am now) the Datastorm wouldn't work because of the trees. Just food for thought.

John