Shock Help

m455sx

I have towed my 5er 3 times and certain bumps and or humps upset my truck and 5er. It seems my truck has no shocks in the rear and it feels like my rear end is coming off the road. I do have Firestone air bags at 20lbs to keep truck and camper level. I did run a seach in search box but could not find anything. Please let me know the best shocks for towing.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I pull with a 2500HD with no issues like that. I have Firestone bags, Gabrel shocks, 10 ply tires that run 80lbs rear/60 front and an additional helper spring that I added but not because of the 5er. I pull backhoe and tractors that far outweigh my 5er at the hitch. Not to mention when you pack 15 to 20 head of beef in a trailer that like to move around.

So since shocks don't support the load, only dampen the bounce, but, that is what stops your load from using your leaf springs like a POGO stick, I would start there.

Also, how fast you cross them bumps can have an effect as well.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Many of us run Bilstein's. A good choice for you truck is ((BST-HD or Reg. BHD)) LINK

Take your pick The BST-HD handles more weight than the BHD. I have BHD's w/air bags and they do the job well without a rough ride.

Use the 5% off promo codes. (4 shocks= $284.97 w/ free shipping) If you find a better price let us know!

Last edited:

m455sx

Thanks for the info but that price seems high. If some one can give me the model# of the shock that will be great.

TXTiger

I agree with westxsrt10, however I went with a 2012 Ford F-350 6.7L turbo diesel, FX4 with the 5th wheel package and have no problem hauling a Cyclone 4014.

mmomega

AnyTimer
I initially put the Bilstein 5100 series shocks on my truck but I've since changed to Rancho RS5000XL shocks.
Personally I like them better for my truck and I have 9 levels of adjustment to tailor them even more.

The stock leaf springs, hard compound tires and high air pressure are the main reasons for the jarring ride.