Range Hood Vent

DRGalligher

I hope this is the right place to post this regarding the range hood vent. I need a replacement vent cover - the one you secure with a wing nuts type of mechanism when en route. Well, when we got to our camping spot this last weekend, as I went out to unlock it for use, I noticed the locking nuts had swung open and part of the vent cover/flap was hanging loose. Closer inspection and the little protruding T pieces that hold it in place at the top in the slots was broken. I left it in place but first gust of wind blew it out and onto the ground. Upon leaving, I inserted in at an angle to get the remaining T piece back in but that broke too, the locking nuts still held it in place on the way home. So my question is, can I get a replacement just for the vent cover or do we have to replace the entire outside vent cover and frame. Has this happened to anyone out there?

DRGalligher

Rick and Debbie, Thank you! That's it! Notice the instructions to not attempt to replace the damper with the unit assembled or the tabs will break. Ok. Now I know what I need. With this link I have a photo to take to my local dealer and check if he has one on stock. Thank you so much!

Renee

rick_debbie_gallant

Rick and Debbie, Thank you! That's it! Notice the instructions to not attempt to replace the damper with the unit assembled or the tabs will break. Ok. Now I know what I need. With this link I have a photo to take to my local dealer and check if he has one on stock. Thank you so much!

Renee

You are entirely welcome. Enjoy the summer.

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
My damper came out of the vent and I simply sealed it off from the outside with some 3/4" foam board insulation and a small piece of sheet metal cut to fit the vent opening. Caulked around the sheet metal for a water tight seal and placed the outside cover back on. I never used the vent anyway and this actually helps with heating and cooling. Was surprised at how much air comes in from the outside even when the damper was "closed". Makes a big difference on hot days when running the AC.

MTPockets

This exact thing happened to me just a couple weeks ago..... One of those little plastic tips broke and the flap fell down.... I ordered the replacement hood from Heartland parts.... I believe the part and UPS shipping combined was about $30.00 .... They shipped next day.

P.S..... This is for the entire hood and frame.... They don't sell just the flap. Replacement was very simple. Remove screws and replace.... you may need some new caulk.

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I broke ours looking at it, LOL! We removed ours this summer to paint it white (if you don't, it will yellow with time, and ours was). As I was examining how to paint it, the little tab broke. So, sent DH to buy a new one, painted it, and installed. Screws hold it in place, but I caulked the top edge and down the sides where it meets the wall. Nearby RV shop had them, about $20. But an hour round-trip to go get it.

E

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
As the others, our little tips broke off as well. I trimmed the upper corners of the flap and used some heavy aluminum flashing tape to hold 2 finishing nails in place of the plastic tips. Put it all back together and repainted the yellow hood. Been good for a few years so far.