An Okie Traveling in Canada

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
We are leaving for Michigan in July. We have to make a stop in Ohio so DW can do a consult that she was hired to do (U of Ohio I think) and continuing on. We are looking at going NE from there and crossing the U.P. and a stop over at Mackinac and heading on to Bad Axe which means 75 South, around the lake and back north on M52 thru the thumb to Bad Axe.

Since we have all the time in the world I was looking at entering Canada at Sault Sainte Marie and traveling on TC/Hwy 17EB to Sudbury and then S/W on 400/407/401 hwys to London. From there back into Michigan on I69.

If it was just my truck I wouldn't even ask I'd just do it. But since I'm pulling the 5er, is there anything that could be a problem. Road condition, pass-ability, height restrictions, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I got my geography and trip plans confused LOL. The travel across the U.P. was what we were discussing for our trip home.:confused:

noobee

Should be no problems. In the summer of 2010, we crossed at the Soo & then on the TC before heading south on 69 at Sudbury.

ILH

I was looking at entering Canada at Sault Sainte Marie and traveling on TC/Hwy 17EB to Sudbury and then S/W on 400/407/401 hwys to London. From there back into Michigan on I69.

If it was just my truck I wouldn't even ask I'd just do it. But since I'm pulling the 5er, is there anything that could be a problem. Road condition, pass-ability, height restrictions, etc.

Thanks in advance.

I can't speak to road conditions north of North Bay - as I haven't been up there in a couple of years. I used to travel the area extensively. There aren't any height restriction (north or south of North Bay) on major highways in Ontario to be concerned of. The 400 series highways are the same as the US interstates (i.e., minimum 4 lane, divided highways). My recommendation when heading back into the US from the London area is to use Sarnia / Port Huron. The Detroit route is typically way too busy. Consult the CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency) web site for crossing waiting times at the border. They update it throughout the day. On weekends and holidays the wait times can be brutal. Picking the right time of day - or day of the week can make your trip much less stressful.

One other caution... don't cross the boarder with any firearms. Hope that helps.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Leave any and all firearms on the US side, especially handguns. Better check, but last I heard, you need a passport or enhanced drivers license to get back into the US.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Leave any and all firearms on the US side, especially handguns. Better check, but last I heard, you need a passport or enhanced drivers license to get back into the US.

Passport not a problem we keep one up to date.

I wouldn't take handgun with me for the fear of getting caught. But out of curiosity do they search your rigs or do they do random searches or what is the procedure.

Also, do they check the dogs papers coming in or out? The time I spent in the Army I'm used to gates and searches as well as ports of entry.

olcoon

I don't know about the areas that you are crossing the border at. But for several years a bunch of us went to Canada fishing & crossed at International Falls in MN. Most of the lodges up there would start their fishing week on Sat., some of them on Fri. On those days crossing the border in the morning or afternoon (usually coming back wasn't too bad) was a bear. Going up on Sat. am would be stop & go...mainly stop for around 2 hours. BTW top off your tank on the US side, fuel in Canada is expensive!

ILH

Also, do they check the dogs papers coming in or out? The time I spent in the Army I'm used to gates and searches as well as ports of entry.

Your best bet is to read over the CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency) web site, as well as the US Customs web site - since you'll be going both directions - for requirements on food (in the fridge), alcohol, pets, etc. As of June 1 various exemption amounts are changing for CBSA.

I frequent the border crossing at Sarnia / Port Huron, as well as the one at Alexandria (near Watertown NY) and very occasionally near Niagara Falls. I've only had my trailer searched once (it was a quick visual inspection). Most of the time the questions relate to food being transported, as well as fire wood. The rest of the questions are the normal ones applied to any traveller, not related to a trailer.

With respect to fuel prices - yes, it is less expensive in the US. One tip, don't wait until the last highway exit to fill up... prices tend to increase as the gas stations know they have a captive audience. If you don't already have it, get the GassBuddy app. The app also works in Canada.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Thanks for all the replies. I had started planning, but, now my DW tells me that we have other plans LOL! We have to leave Ohio and go straight to Bad Axe for a family reunion and with us going to the MI HOC rally I am gonna have to put this off next year. But, with any luck my first Canadian RV trip will be on our way to Alaska. Any of you going to Gillette, that has experience, I'd like a chance to pick your brain.