replacing Day/Night Shades with 1.5 inch wood blinds

ntoport

Looking to replace D/N Shades in the Living/Dining area. Better half wants to keep the valances which will take no bigger than 1.5 inch wood blinds. She doesn't want 1 inch. Without spending a small fortune we went to Lowes. We can get all the Wood Blinds except for the curb/street side small windows in the rear of the unit...16 inch wide... It seems like the smallest width is 18 inches. Does anybody have any ideas on where one can get a 16 inch wide, 1.5 inch blind, white or cream in color wooden...faux...blind at?

DougS

Doug S
We need a 15-16 inch for our bedroom small window so we ordered it through Lowes, just a couple of dollars more and I believe it came in less then 10 days. Talk to Lowes about special orders.

ntoport

Thats who I was dealing with...Lowes. They had nothing for a 16" wide window in a 1.5" blind. They even tried to cut a 23" down and ended up cutting part of mechanism that tilts the blinds. If we wanted a 2" blind it would not be a problem.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We got 2" in Mission TX.
Rosewood
GT Blinds Inc
703 E. Nolana
Pharr, TX 78577
956-782-1712
3/1/10
$821.61 installed.

There are a couple more that have used this company. They work great.

BC

Wharton

We bought ours online. I don't remember which vendor. I'm not sure about the 1.5" but they did have 2" and a valence came with them that looked nice. Our rig is in storage but we bought them for the bedroom windows and they were not expensive at all.

If you need the vendor we can go over to the trailer and look at the blinds and take a picture. We are very happy with them.

Herbiesrig

North Central Region Directors-Retired
We got our window treatments from Blindsaver.com... Free shipping and no sales tax.. Very happy ..... Celluar blinds up and down with use of 1 finger... We also got mini blinds for the back window, they look great and we are very happy with thouse... lowes.com those are Bali..

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We were going to put blinds in our Bighorn and had planned to use the same place Bob used, GT Blinds in Pharr. When we returned to the valley this past January, GT Blinds is closed. They did offer good service and a great price.

We love the new day/night blinds in the Landmark and have no plans to change at least for now.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you want to keep the top valences, but can't get a blind less than 18", take a look at modifying the valance. There may be enough excess fabric wrapped around the ends to extend it an inch or so at each end and still cover it with the fabric. Or use some other fabric (or stained wood) to accent/extend it.

Westwind

I've used the online vendor "Select Blinds" before for the house and I was more then satisfied. Getting the blinds cut to the exact size, wide and length along with the variety of the product that they handle helps solve unique problems, you just have to measure and remeasure to be sure you are correct. I'm getting very leery of Lowe's and Home Depot staff helping and giving advise. I have more confidence in myself. Plus the blind vendor sells just blinds so you don't get someone covering from the garden department making you think they know the answers to your questions.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We decided to leave those windows as is with the day/night shades. The main reason is because they were easy to raise and lower with one hand. Same with the side windows on the slide out. From our perspective, it really doesn't look out of place.

Attachments

• Dinette Blinds.jpg
    Dinette Blinds.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Rear Window Blinds.jpg
    Rear Window Blinds.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 83

JohnDar

Removing the side valances (lambroquins) doesn't hurt much, either. To put these vertical blinds up, they had to come down. The top valance is the original, extended out a bit with some 1/2" plywood, covered with the fabric from the side valances. These are Levelor blinds purchased from stock and cut to length at a local Lowes without a problem. The 12 sets of verticals we special ordered from a Lowes near home for our house met my specifications perfectly. Now we're considering removing the all of the side valances since we keep smacking them. Had to repair two the first outing with the rig. Once the million staples pull out, there's no repair other than a load of fabric glue.

View attachment 19583View attachment 19584

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
So two things jump to mind from John's pictures in post #12:

1. We immediately see the REAL master of the RV.;)

2. Where did you get the gorgeous Tiffany style table lamp?

JohnDar

1. She's the Mistress of the RV and that IS her chair, whether I'm sitting in it or not. My lap, regardless of where I'm sitting is also her personal domain.

2. The lamp was one of the many things the wife's boyfriend with the big brown truck has given her. Chicken runs away when I answer the door though. She says she ordered it from QVC (we've had it awhile)

ntoport

I would like to thank everyone who responded to my question. As I was sitting watching TV last night I got thinking...program wasn't interesting...about my quest. I know that I measured the 23" blinds right and that they could be cut down. It was the Lowes expert....another story...that measured and cut wrong. So I went to Lowes and bought another 23' blind and brought out my power compound miter saw. Measured twice and cut once....and Presto I now have the 16" Blind I needed. So its off to Lowes once more...I think I need a time card for that place....to buy the rest of the blinds to finish the job I started.

Check with Heartland Customer Service.
My Big Country 3450TS came with wood blinds in the living room/dinning room area.
They are a white/cream color.
We have the top Valance also.
These are wood blinds, not plastic or Aluminum.
We have a total of 7 wood and one Aluminum in the kitchen.
The bedroom has the day/night style.
Hope this information may help.

Hockster

======================================================================================================================================

ntoport

I finished installing the in levolor 1.5 Blinds. Discovered the rear window is not level. Its a 1/2 inch higer on one side. Each window had its own little problem. What I am trying to say is, It took me alot longer to finish it. Now my problem is I can't figure out on to post the pictures of the work on here.

ntoport

lets see if I did it.

Attachments

• New Blinds 007.JPG
    New Blinds 007.JPG
    594.4 KB · Views: 53
  • New Blinds 008.JPG
    New Blinds 008.JPG
    570.6 KB · Views: 53
  • New Blinds 006 - Copy.JPG
    New Blinds 006 - Copy.JPG
    633.9 KB · Views: 60