Lighting Pilot light on oven

Hawkeye

I have a new 2012 Sundance camper and I can not get the pilot light for the oven to light. Can anyone give me some tips on how to get this to light. I have turned the knob to pilot and tried the self ignitor and nothing happens. Thanks for your help

mlburst1

Unfortunately, the oven does not light with the igniter.

You have to get down on the floor with a lighter, turn the oven knob to Pilot, press the oven knob in and hold the lighter under the orifice below the oven shelf until the pilot lights.

After the pilot lights, continue to hold the oven knob in for 30 seconds, then release and verify that the pilot flame has stayed lit.

A real pain the butt!

wdk450

Hawkeye: I am going to take a leap and ASSUME your stove/oven is like mine. When asking this type of question with so many models Heartland makes, it REALLY helps to at least specify the MAKE of the appliance. On my stove/oven (Amana) the ignitor only works on the stovetop burners. To light the oven, you need to get down on your knees, have a long match or propane long lighter, turn the oven knob to "Pilot/Light" and Press In on the knob and hold it in. This manually starts the gas flow tothe pilot down in the oven. Search around with the lit flame looking for the pilot orfice. When you find it you will see it light. Keep holding the knob in for 60 seconds to heat the safety thermocouple. You can release the knob after this time and the pilot flame should stay lit. Here is a link to the manual for the Amana range I found on the "tools" tab above, submenus "Manuals", "Appliances".

"Maytag"http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/Appliances/Range/Magic_Chef-Amana-Maytag/Magic_Chef-Amana-Maytag_%20Range_Use%20and%20Care.pdf

Porkchop

I don't know if it is the same as my Cyclone, but the oven is not an automatic lighter. You have to go in an put a physical flame in the oven to light it.

I haven't done it yet but when I did our PDI that's what they told me.

Irene

frumbawa

Welcome to the forum Hawkeye and congrats on the new Sundance.

To add to what has already been said and especially if this is the first time lighting the oven after having the propane tanks turned off, I will light a stove top burner first to get the gas flowing. Otherwise, you may be down on your knees for quite a while trying to get the pilot to light.

Frank

Peteandsharon

Yeah, every year that I get the Bighorn out of storage it's always a treat to do this for the first time that year. CRS syndrome keeps me from remembering and I have to relearn it each time. One obvious point that you'll learn is that it is much easier as a two person job. One of you turn the knob to pilot and hold it in while the other gets underneath and lights it. The key point is to keep it pushed in for a while because it will go out again if the thermocouple is not hot enough.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
A real pain the butt!

I agree on that part.

There has to be a better way to design the pilot light feature on these stoves.
I'm getting too old to do the limbo every time on want to light it.

Sometimes I will leave it on, when we are stationary, but I seem to always end up shutting it off, because I don't like smelling it. Trace

Last edited:

dieselsweetheart

It's a scary thing for me to do so I always get Jim to light it for me. But I know when he has trouble lighting the oven he does light one of the burners first.

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Welcome to the forum Hawkeye and congrats on the new Sundance.

To add to what has already been said and especially if this is the first time lighting the oven after having the propane tanks turned off, I will light a stove top burner first to get the gas flowing. Otherwise, you may be down on your knees for quite a while trying to get the pilot to light.

Frank

DITTO to this........by lighting stove top you get the air out of the lines, otherwise you will be holding the pilot button down for a long while!!!
(a lesson learned at the "school of hard knocks"!!)
WeightLifter.jpg

pegmikef

DITTO to this........by lighting stove top you get the air out of the lines, otherwise you will be holding the pilot button down for a long while!!!
(a lesson learned at the "school of hard knocks"!!)
View attachment 19565

Also a good idea to bleed the air from the line by lighting a stove burner before starting your furnace or refrigerator for the first time after the propane has been off, or you may just hear them clicking, trying to light.

Birchwood

The self ignitor would make a lot of sense but I guess if the oven propane was left
on and you ingnited a burner on top the oven would also light but it would be like
a bomb exploding.

wdk450

BTW:
I have successfully lit my oven pilot a few times before, but can't light it now. Why? I think it has to do with being at an altitude of about 7000 feet in the Yellowstone Park area.

Hawkeye

Thanks for the advice on holding the pilot knob in. I was just turning the knob to pilot and trying to light it both ways with the self ignitor and a long lighter. I will try this tonight when I get home from work. Thanks again for your help. I am glad that we have this helpful Heartland forum.:eek:

We seldom use the oven. Old man knees complain and better half turns off pilot after use. Is it OK to leave pilot on for extended stay?

Mels Musty Music

Hawkeye - This has worked well for me. No explosions either.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/3978-Bighorn-Appliances-Added-oven-igniter?highlight=

Duramax1

You can also purchase barbeque ignitor kits at Walmart and use them for the stove. This was one of my more rewarding projects as our stove did not have an ignitor for either the oven or any of the stove top burners.

Bob Vaughn

I got my ignitor installed yesterday, and it works, and my wife is happy that she does not have to bend over and try to lite the pilot lite any more.....It did require that I remove the stove to get the wires run thru the back of the oven. I found only 2 of the 4 screws that were supposed to hold the stove in place were actually screwed into the walls surrounding the oven.

RollingHome

Bob, do you have any info on the igniter you installed ? I have a 3670 RL, I'm a little paranoid about lighting a gas oven in a confined area (the sink cabinet blocks you in). I would feel safer standing and igniting instead of having a lit gas cloud expanding in front of my face. I've seen that first hand and it is not a good thing as Martha would not say - it has a tendency to remove eye brows and facial hair.