Long Distance Purchases - hearing bad stories

Rosie

Hi All,
We are considering purchasing a landmark from a dealer in Indiana. We live in Washington State. The dealer seems very nice, helpful and the price is very good. He explained what they will do for us when we come out such as letting us camp in their lot for as long as it takes to get us comfortable with the unit. They have tech there all day who can help us with questions or problems, etc. The dealers out here are warning us not buy from out of state. They say we won't be able to get service here or will be at the bottom of the list. They also say the RV will be be "filthy" and there will be no help to do a walk through or help us get up and running. I'm not sure if they just want our business or if there is some truth to what they say. Has anyone had experiences, good or bad with long distance purchases, or purchases from a dealer near the factory?
Thanks!!
Rosie

jimtoo

Hi Rosie,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Lots of folks do buy "long distance" and have no problems at all. If the dealer has good price, will let you camp on the lot or where ever to make sure everything is corrected before you leave, go for it.

Your local dealer is probably right in telling you that you will at the bottom of the list or put off if you need local warranty work done. But Heartland will authorize almost any independent repair service to fix anything that may break after your PDI. Now they will only do this with proper PRE-AUTHORIZATION, estimates, and may even pictures,, depending on the problem. The factory sometimes has a list of independent repair places that have worked with them before in your area.

Hope to see you on the road or at a rally in your Landmark.

Jim M

krhyde

Kentucky Chapter Leaders-retired
We bought our new Key Largo from RVCapital in Elkhart, IN. They were very helpful and the price was much less than the local dealer would match. I was very pleased with our buying experience and will take my chances with warranty work scheduling if needed. Ken

danemayer

They also say the RV will be be "filthy" and there will be no help to do a walk through or help us get up and running.
This is completely untrue. We bought from RV Capital Wholesalers in Elkhart and they did a great job. We stayed on their lot for a couple of days and found a couple of things that needed fixing that escaped our attention during the walkthru. They did a great job and were very easy to do business with.

Some people have found that getting service back home can be dicey. We're using an authorized service location that sells only 1 Heartland model (not ours). They treat us very well nonetheless. The local dealer we shopped warned us they would treat us as 2nd class citizens and we haven't bothered going to them. On the other side of the coin, our good friends bought from the local dealer and paid $5000 more than the Elkhart dealer wanted, just to alleviate concerns about getting local service. It turned out 1) they got TERRIBLE service and 2) the service manager told them that the sales guy made the whole thing up - they treat everyone equally in the service bay - 1st come 1st served. (Everyone gets terrible service.) In their case, they wasted $5000.

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
We purchased our Key Largo from Lazy Days in Tampa and had a great experience. They provided us plenty of time to stay on the premise and do our PDI and have any issues worked out before heading home.

As for having any work done we've dealt with 2 Camping Worlds in our area and haven't had any issues getting in to have the work done. However, I do know that others have had issues in their areas if they didn't buy their coach there.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
This baffles me.

It's an RV. It's on wheels. If you plan to travel anywhere outside of your area code, you'll likely be closer to another dealer should something go wrong. And for fulltimers, the idea that we need service from our local dealer is obnoxious. If I buy from a dealer in Georgia and something happens in Seattle, am I going to drive back to Georgia to get it fixed? No.

I wish RV dealers would quit making such silly threats. It really makes them look like sour grapes in my opinion.

I understand that every dealer can't compete on price. But if they took the time to understand business and marketing they'd know: if you can't compete on price, compete with service! Threatening to put your customers at the bottom of the list because you didn't make your $4000 during the sale is just plain dumb in my opinion. As a consumer, there's a high likelihood that I'll need to spend money with you in the future. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

End of rant.

wildwolfproducts

Looks like we may be ordering ours next week. And it will be from the dealer next to the factory. Reason being our local dealers 2.5 hours or 5 hours away. Has prices around $6000.+ more and we get more options with the lower price. I for one would rather buy local, but not at that kind of price. Now I know the dealers here in Tn has to pay to have it delivered and that can run between $1500. and $2000. But still a lot of savings there for sure.

Also our last one, We made a Vacation out of it and enjoyed the savings. And if the local dealer does not do better with the price next week. We will thank them and order from In.

Pete

Last edited:

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Hi All,
We are considering purchasing a landmark from a dealer in Indiana. We live in Washington State. The dealer seems very nice, helpful and the price is very good. He explained what they will do for us when we come out such as letting us camp in their lot for as long as it takes to get us comfortable with the unit. They have tech there all day who can help us with questions or problems, etc. The dealers out here are warning us not buy from out of state. They say we won't be able to get service here or will be at the bottom of the list. They also say the RV will be be "filthy" and there will be no help to do a walk through or help us get up and running. I'm not sure if they just want our business or if there is some truth to what they say. Has anyone had experiences, good or bad with long distance purchases, or purchases from a dealer near the factory? Thanks! Rosie

Hello Rosie!

Two things...first, welcome to the forum and since I see you are from WA State please consider joining the WA HOC when you get your rig. Here is a blurb about our 2011 State Rally and here is information about this years gathering in Twisp.

Secondly, I sent you a PM regarding your question about a long distance purchase.

Best Wishes!

dalspot

When we first started looking for our FW, I called one of the big discount dealers, told them what I wanted in options, then emailed our local dealer with the quote and told them if they could match it they'd have our business. Well, turns out they didn't match it, they actually BEAT it by $200! This was our first purchase ever, so we wanted to buy local. I am very glad they gave us such a good price.

Karen

Porkchop

I bought it from great lakes/ rv capital. They did a decent job but I wish I spent more time there bc the fuel guage was broken and they said they needed it longer to fix. Sucks.

The local dealer that doesn't sell cyclones stated that since we didn't buy it from them, even though they couldn't sell it to me (i did ask them), that I would be bottom of the list. They said I should have bought an XLR that they sell instead of the cyclone. What a bunch of crock.

Another dealer said straight out, we will never service your rig even though again, they don't sell cyclones. The closes cyclone dealer was far far away and I wouldn't be able to get it serviced there anyway. Heartland, the company seems pretty decent and would probably work with us with an independent dealer. I'm going to try the closest one first and see how it goes. If it's a terrible experience I.will.let the whole world know.

dieselsweetheart

We bought from RVs4Less in TN and had a wonderful experience...so much so we are still in the original Bighorn!! We lived in Pa at the time...and we don't regret buying from Butch one minute!! We have not needed any service and this is our 7th camping season!!

GOTTOYS

I bought from a somewhat local dealer about 75 miles away. Our trailer was a display model. It wasn't especially clean. I went there for service...once. I waited 3 weeks for an appointment, they then had the trailer for 2 weeks and partially finished the repairs. After that I picked it up, got the necessary parts shipped to my house direct from Heartland, finished the repairs myself. Why shouldn't I shop and buy it where the price is the best. My local service couldn't get much worse...Don

Rosie

Thanks so much everyone! I feel so much better especially because the dealer we are working with is Great Lakes RV who is apparently the same as RV Capital Wholesalers. Several of you mentioned them specifically and were happy with the product and service. I ended up talking to the salesman who gave me the negative information again this afternoon. He continued on by telling me he had talked to the factory and the factory told them the wholesalers get a standard version and strip off everything they can including the second AC and the spare tire. I'm definitely not doing business with them. I think we have decided to go ahead with our plans to purchase from Great Lakes.
Thanks again everyone!
Rosie

jimtoo

When you place your order make sure you have all the options you want listed... there are some options not listed that can be added. So if you think you want something special ask if it can be added. Then I would request a copy of what you ordered so there will be no questions when the unit arrives.

Jim M

GOTTOYS

Thanks so much everyone! I feel so much better especially because the dealer we are working with is Great Lakes RV who is apparently the same as RV Capital Wholesalers. Several of you mentioned them specifically and were happy with the product and service. I ended up talking to the salesman who gave me the negative information again this afternoon. He continued on by telling me he had talked to the factory and the factory told them the wholesalers get a standard version and strip off everything they can including the second AC and the spare tire. I'm definitely not doing business with them. I think we have decided to go ahead with our plans to purchase from Great Lakes.
Thanks again everyone!
Rosie
Missing the spare tire and A/C. Be thankful you aren't buying it from this looser!...Don

Porkchop

I have a spare tire. I ordered the Second AC on my Cyclone (wasn't standard).

When people start bad mouthing their competitors, I question what their motives are.

Make sure you go through with a FINE tooth comb on your PDI. Check EVERYTHING before you leave. Don't trust that they WILL do a good job and then you wont' be surprised if you find any problems. Also do it on a Thursday or Friday, Saturdays they were DEAD and couldn't fix our problem. Only one tech there.

Good luck!
Irene

rjr6150

Hi All,
We are considering purchasing a landmark from a dealer in Indiana. We live in Washington State. The dealer seems very nice, helpful and the price is very good. He explained what they will do for us when we come out such as letting us camp in their lot for as long as it takes to get us comfortable with the unit. They have tech there all day who can help us with questions or problems, etc. The dealers out here are warning us not buy from out of state. They say we won't be able to get service here or will be at the bottom of the list. They also say the RV will be be "filthy" and there will be no help to do a walk through or help us get up and running. I'm not sure if they just want our business or if there is some truth to what they say. Has anyone had experiences, good or bad with long distance purchases, or purchases from a dealer near the factory?
Thanks!!
Rosie

We purchased our unit from the same dealer your working with. I would have to agree with the others just do a complete PDI have everything in writing. My experience was easy and enjoyable to say the least.

FordMan1966

Buy from a local dealer, because I have had too many little issues to have to deal with a long distance dealer. Some of my issues I have picked up parts and put them on myself. Still waiting since April 11th to have a Barrell Door in the kitchen replaced on my 2013 Grand Canyon. This seems a little too long to have to wait on parts from what I have been use to with 2 other RV Companies.

danemayer

Buy from a local dealer, because I have had too many little issues to have to deal with a long distance dealer.
If you buy from a dealer 1000 miles away, once you leave, you're not likely to be dealing with them for service. Yes some people have had problems finding a local dealer willing to service their rig. But others have paid extra to have a local dealer only to find out the service is so bad they need to go elsewhere anyway.