Connecting the two gray tanks

Lynn1130

Here is a question for those mechanically minded on the site. As you are no-doubt aware the 3010 has two gray tanks. They are not connected so you have 2-40 gal tanks one of which is the shower gray storage and the other is the bathroom lav and kitchen sink. If you have a washer/dryer the washer drains to this tank. I do not have a washer/dryer and have stayed in a campground or two that do not have hookups to drain tanks during the stay. Many state and federal dry camp areas do not allow gray water draining. These circumstances can create a problem with too much gray water in one tank and the other nearly empty. So, the question:

Has anyone researched methods to connect the two tanks to create one 80 gal gray water storage tank? I have not pulled the undercover to see how these tanks are set up, but would guess that someone here has pulled the cover and knows what things look like under there. I wonder if any attempt to do this would involve dropping both tanks and doing some plastic welding, which I have no desire to do or if there is some easier method.

Just a thought but, who knows, someone here has probably already come up with a solution, so I throw this out for a response. :)

davebennington

We have one of these on our coach. You have to remember to close the gray tank valves before dumping the black tank, then reopen the gray tank valves and you have 80 gallons of gray water to flush the sewer hose with.

dave

Sumo

I also feel your gray tank pain.
I was able to put in a valve before the main waste water exit which combined both gray tanks.

IMG_0904.jpgIMG_0911.jpg

Lynn1130

I guess I am a little dense. Install it where? One tank valve is in the front of the unit and the other is in the rear.

Sumo

Lucky for me, my gray tanks both empty from the same side of the main dump valve.

Lynn1130

It has two dump valves for front and rear. One for one 40 gal tank and one for the other. One tank is for the shower and the other for the washer/bathroom lav and kitchen sink. I called Heartland to see which was which and found that they are not connected so one tank gets full pretty fast with showers and the other gets very little into it. I understand why they would do that with the washer hookup but if, like us, you do not have a washer it does not fill much at all.

branson4020

Icantre Member
It has two dump valves for front and rear. One for one 40 gal tank and one for the other. One tank is for the shower and the other for the washer/bathroom lav and kitchen sink. I called Heartland to see which was which and found that they are not connected so one tank gets full pretty fast with showers and the other gets very little into it. I understand why they would do that with the washer hookup but if, like us, you do not have a washer it does not fill much at all.
I understand you have multiple valves, we all do, but where does the gray water flow out of your coach? Is there more than one sewer outlet?

Lynn1130

Sorry, I said I was a little dense. There is one outlet. Two valves in the front. One gray and one black. One in the rear for the other gray. I would have to take a look again but I don't think that any of the lines run below the enclosed bottom. I think all lines are enclosed with the exception of the main outlet. The rig is in storage so it is a ten mile trip to check.

branson4020

Icantre Member
So, the gray tanks ARE connected together - at the sewer outlet. If you leave the cap on the outlet and open both gray valves, water will flow between the two tanks.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
But don't do that unless you have one of the Valterra valve assemblies on the end of the drain pipe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandpirate69

I knew I would learn something new today. I was thinking about that while at Disney. My wife likes long showers & my daughter likes to play in it. It just so happens I have that T58 installed on my rig & never thought about doing that.

Thanks