ATF: Greystone - Slide out stabilzers

cjengler

I am sure this has been addressed but a search yeilded no results. We have a 32RL GS. We experince some movement even with JT Strong Arms and a Kingpin stablizer. Is it possible to utilize slide out stabilizers on this unit or is that not advized? We don't want to damage the slide outs so thought we should check here first. Thanks in advance for all your help.

GOTTOYS

No,No,No! Anything under the slide outs can cause damage. Look around in an RV park you will seldom if ever, see anything under the slides. Try a set of locking type chocks between the wheels if you don't have any....Don

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You can get a pair of bottle jacks, and some blocking (anything will do to get the jacks closer to the frame -- we use the orange stacking blocks from wal-mart). Position each bottle jack just in front of the front tires and tighten the jack up to the frame. It doesn't lift, just helps support. It will reduce the bounce in the suspension and significantly reduce the overall trailer wiggle.
IMG_7006.jpg

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
You've received great advice from GOTTOYS and TravelTiger. Consider buying a set of 30" Scissors Jacks though. Less hassle with storing them and you can use the same crank as the rear stabilizers. Or a 3/4" impact driver.

cjengler

Thank you all for your advice. It will be followed. I failed to mention that we are fulltimers who sit in one spot for 6 months at a time, but from what I am hearing here, that shouldn't make a difference. Thanks again.

J

Jim_Hickey

Great feedback from all! Thanks for chiming in. All sound like good advice!

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader
We tried the bottle jack idea, however the Sears ones state in fine print not to use to hold up trailers. lift only. Both of mine leaked down over night so just check the fine print

tom

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We tried the bottle jack idea, however the Sears ones state in fine print not to use to hold up trailers. lift only. Both of mine leaked down over night so just check the fine print

tom

Well, I wanted to check, and did not find that warning on ours. We're not actually "holding up" the trailer, only adding another point of contact between the rig and ground. It's not actually receiving any significant weight on it. Ours are BlackJack by Torin, 12 ton. The rig's max GCWR is 7 tons.

cjengler

I installed the bottle jacks as was suggested here. What a difference. No more wiggle. It did the trick perfectly. Thanks again for the good advice.

BigIron

Why are slide out stabilizers sold then?
I thought about it but since the RV manual does not say anything I have not considered purchasing it. My thought process is that RV engineers have designed current slide outs to withstand the weights applied when cantilevered…thus not required. It would probably add another 20 minutes to setup and tear down anyway:)
I am new to the RV club and just curious to why not use stabilizers especially when specialty stores like CW sell it. Are these items only for specific type RVs?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I thought about it but since the RV manual does not say anything I have not considered purchasing it. My thought process is that RV engineers have designed current slide outs to withstand the weights applied when cantilevered…thus not required. It would probably add another 20 minutes to setup and tear down anyway:)
I am new to the RV club and just curious to why not use stabilizers especially when specialty stores like CW sell it. Are these items only for specific type RVs?

I think the main reason they shouldn't be used is in the event the trailer may shift, damage could be caused by the slide out jacks to the slide mechanism. I think folks that have their RV's on permanent sites and on blocks might use them for a little additional support. I know several friends that use them even though it's not a goos idea.
Years ago they were used on rigs with the old style "tip outs"

GOTTOYS

Lots of places sell lots of useless junk to unsuspecting buyers. It's all about making money..Why do they sell deer whistles and placebo weight loss drugs and miracle cure products, illegally loud "mufflers" and..and...Don

relocator

I am sure this has been addressed but a search yeilded no results. We have a 32RL GS. We experince some movement even with JT Strong Arms and a Kingpin stablizer. Is it possible to utilize slide out stabilizers on this unit or is that not advized? We don't want to damage the slide outs so thought we should check here first. Thanks in advance for all your help.
Another stabilizer you might consider is 'SteadyFast' www.steadyfast.com I had them on my previous fiver and loved them. Bought and installed a set on my 32RL. Also bought a pair of the chocks that go between the tires, which in my opinion are worthless. Once the Steadyfast stabilizers are installed, it's just a matter of tightening 3 large wingnuts after you have your trailer level and your done. Check out their web page.