Prospective owner no more

srgt30

:mad: Picked her up Wednesday and camping our way home. In Lickdale Pa this morning. Thanks for all the advice from all you guys and gals.

Attachments

• IMG_20120531_173945.jpg
    IMG_20120531_173945.jpg
    580.9 KB · Views: 174

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Very nice! Enjoy and travel safe.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

jbeletti

Very nice. Consider joining the Heartland Owners Club and join us for some chapter rallies in the northeast. And go to the Northeastern regional rally in Copake, NY this fall.

mnkamper

Founding MN Chapter Leader-retired
It's beautiful and you took a great picture of it! Like Jim B. said... consider coming to the rallies, they're great!

Porkchop

Looks so nice!!!! Congrats! Maybe you can go to the Lake George Rally in June (16th weekend I think).

We will be there with our new Cyclone too :).

Irene

Hello, and congrats on the beautiful new camper/RV, but what are you pulling it with? I have just acquired my first truck (2006 Ford F-350 DRW 6.0L Diesel) and was wondering if this would be enough truck to pull a Cyclone to many destinations yet unknown. I am actually headed to the Iowa State Fair tomorrow where I found out they have a King 4100 and I really want to take a close look at that rig. The pictures look really nice though. I know it's 2 1/2 hours from home in southwest Iowa but I think I could camp the weekend on the way home. Thanks for your input and again congrats on the new camper/RV.

jimtoo

Hi MOTORCYCLECOMMANDER,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure you will be good with the F-350, (even thou it is a FORD) :). I'm sure some of our other members will jump in soon with their thoughts also.

Enjoy the forum and join our family.

Jim M

Bksvo

A DRW diesel 1 ton will pull most any RV trailer made. You are well setup for any Cyclone.

Make sure you do some research on your 6.0 Ford. That motor has a bad reputation, but with some special care and feeding it can be reliable. I used to have one myself, until it bit me and I traded up to a 6.4.

Thanks Jim M. & Bran and Ronda,

I am very much a Ford fan I hope that won't get me kicked off the forum but this is a clean truck with a very detailed history (Turbo has been replaced) and a clean car fax, but anyway I was looking up the towing capacity and it said 15,000 LBS and the Cyclone was 14,800 LBS so I just don't want to stress the truck out and I see a lot of members on here have mentioned their modifications that they have performed to their trucks so I will check up on that but I should be able to get the King 4100 home if I like what I see tomorrow. What do you guys think about Fifth Wheel King Pin compared to the Goose Neck Conversion? I know I am shooting a lot of questions and there is a lot of info on this site so I'll keep reading but again thanks for your help.

Tim Eberly
SW Iowa

jimtoo

Hey Tim,

I was a GM tech, doctor of motors, parts and service mgr for 34 years... so I am a little one sided...:) But to each his own. :) Both my son's and my son in law are Ford people also, so I am outnumbered.

You will be at max, but you should not have any problems as long as you watch your temps and pressures and don't try to race up the hills.

There is a lot of controversy about the goose neck hitch. The regular one that has been around, just the pipe thing, will void the warranty, but maybe the new one that is out that Lippert actually (part of Reese I think) owns will not. Not to sure how all that is working. Hopefully some of our other members will jump in with more information on that soon.

Enjoy the forum and your (after tomorrow) new Cyclone.

Jim M

caissiel

GN scares me. Broke all the pin support beams on a previous SOB unit, and it was after being emergency towed using a GN. I calculated the strenght of the beams and they were not strong enough for GN application.

The truck, monitor, monitor, the oil temperature, its the no 1 indicator of problems, also batteries need to be good. Not to kill the fuel injector contro module.
I believe in my scangaugeII.
I have seen many with dirty coolant, its desaster waiting to happen.
My truck has been great see my signiture.
I have become a 6.0L expert by reading the forums and my previous ownership of 6.5L GM. They also had a bad reputation. It also served me well with proper care.

Sent from my GT-S5660M using Tapatalk 2

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
I would stay away from the goose neck because the frame is not strong enough and it will void your warrentee. There is one solution that does not void the warrentee it is a product called the goose box. Lippert sells this and it does not void warrentee. It has rubber isolators built into goose box to absorb all of the movement because of the lack of surface area that the 5th wheel provides. The only problem is they only make it up to 16k. I am working with Lippert to create an 18k. I will check on Monday to see if they have got any further with it.

Thank you for your input, but for now I'm off to the Iowa State Fair to actually get inside the King 4100 (and others if they have plenty available), I'll check back in when I get home.

Thanks again,

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Motocyclecommander,

The GVWR on that 4100 is 18k.

14800 is dry weight, before batteries, propane, awnings, water, fuel, and options, like 2nd AC, etc. not to mention your gear and toys!

If the truck's max tow is 15000, I think you'll be over pretty quick.

Check out http://m.fifthwheelst.com/before_you_buy.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

srgt30

Thanks motorcyclecommander, we got a 2011 Chevy 3500 drew with duramax/Allison. So far that tows great, only problem has been getting the hitch and pin box right height. Don't know enough about the g/n to comment and you will get a lot of opinions about your truck on here. Best suggestion I could give you about that is do your homework and also talk to people who are towing with your same truck. Good luck and happy hunting let us know how you make out.

Bksvo

I also believe you may have read the max tow for a regular trailer, not a 5th wheel. I think your good up to 18k lbs or more.

caissiel

F350 with 6.0 is rated for 23500 GCVW .
Cyclones realy load up a TV.
Good luck.
The towing can go well with moderate speed and attention.

Sent from my GT-S5660M using Tapatalk 2