Got a leak........can't figure out where it is coming from?

JawBreaker

Well, our brand new 305 has a leak. I am so happy, not really, as this is why we wanted a different brand of travel trailer from our last purchase. The water is pooling on the counter, under the small window in the kitchen. It will saturate a towel in about 3 hours time. I looked at the window itself, I don't see any seals that appear faulty. The drains at the bottom are working properly. I just don't see where this could be coming from. Should I just take it back to the dealer and let them figure this out? We have a trip for next weekend already paid for and no refund, so we are going, coincidentaly that trip is near the dealer, so I think on my way home I will drop off the trailer and let them keep it till they figure this out. It is summer and I need my trailer, so hopefully they won't have it for very long, anyone got any sugestions?

After having the unit to the selling dealer, the issue was a loose awning rail, which I noticed when I took the unit in, after repairing this the unit appears to be trouble free. We had several other issues that received attention at that appointment, everything is great. General RV has treated us very well.

Last edited:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Does it only do it when it rains, or all the time? Make sure the window is closed completely. We had one on our previous trailer that looked closed, but actually wasn't and water would leak in at the bottom when it rained.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I had some water intrusion under a window at one time. Everything looked good around the window.
So I just caulked the top and sides of the window frame and no more leak. Do not caulk the bottom.
Try it.

Peace
Dave

Bobby A

Have someone outside with a garden hose and spray the window at small sections at a time to see if you can isolate where its coming in at while the other person is inside watching for leaks. Thats what the dealer will do, like the other post suggests it probably needs some caulk at the top and at the radius sides.

JawBreaker

Thanks for all the advice, I used the air compressor to blow out all the water around the window, seemed like a bunch. Then I put some clear silicon around the window frame where it met the fiberglass sidewall. I might have messed up as a got a thin line along the bottom, should I remove that? Why not along the bottom? I don't know a thing about rv windows, but it did verify that it was closing properly. I put a layer of plastic with duct tape over the outside as we are still expecting rain. And, yes the leak seems to only appear while it is raining, we've had several downpours over the last few days, 3.5" over the last 24 hours.

olcoon

You don't want to caulk the bottom outside of the window, so any water that is trapped in there will drain out. If you'll look at the other windows on your rig, you'll see that none of them should be caulked, then caulk the problem window the same way. Probably like Bobby A said have someone outside spraying the window with a hose & someone inside would be the best way to locate it. Also, if possible, if there is any trim on the inside​ of the window, remove it, & you might be able to find it easier.

JawBreaker

I was wondering if this water could be from the awning rail screws or the trim up where the rubber roof membrane is attached? I looked all those areas over, nothing looks odd, but there appears to be lots of screw heads without an obvious sealant. I had the trailer out at the beginning of May, it rained that entire weekend and there was no noticeable leaks. That trip I got the trailer nearly level, the only slope was the curb side was slightly lower. When I noticed this leak this morning, the trailer was high on the curbside, I leveled up the trailer thinking that was the problem and it did seem to reduce the amount of flow.

Bobby A

Do the hose method first to see if for sure its coming from the window. My windows are only caulked from across the top and around the radius corners. There is butyl or something like that behind all the windows frames for sealant.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you can't find the leak via the hose method, have your dealer do the SealTech test (if they can) to find it. It will show ALL leaks, not just this one.

JawBreaker

I hope I got it with the caulking. Took the hose and started at the window, moved around that side of the exterior, then at the level of the awning, then up top from every angle. Things are dry, supposed to get rain this night, so keep our fingers crossed and pray. I am confident that it is solved. Thanks all for advice! Great bunch of people!

Last edited:

JawBreaker

UPDATE: Theleak is still present. Our are did not get precipitation till this week, I hada paper towel on the counter and after a good rain (1/2") the towel wassaturated. Headed back to the dealership tomorrow morning for diagnosis. Doesanyone know how I can insist the use of the Sealtech method, as I had thisproblem with my last (SOB) trailer to the point it had to go back to thefactory for three new sides at a substantial cost to me. The new trailerleaking this soon is discouraging, but I bought a Heartland due to thetremendous positive remarks on this forum and I pray the dealership andHeartland can find the problem and correct it. I am thinking of a carport topark it under all the time? The dealership is getting on this in a resonable amount of time, I am very pleased there, but very nervous about a new trailer leaking!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The SealTech test, while not "infallible," can be performed by any dealer that has the equipment. Personally, I'd get that test done before wasting a lot of time and effort on trial and error, recaulking every seam.