Broken slider window.

Sakool

Got to the campground last night and discovered on of our slider windows was busted. Are they hard to replace once I get the replacement window? Have a North Trailers 28BRS camper.

CactusTwo

Not overly hard but tough to find the glass to do it. One side of the frame has a rubber to "hold" the glass in, outside for the fixed glass, inside for the sliding one, pull out the rubber and you will see that the remaining glass, be it in small pieces will be stuck to the sealant, note the distance from the edge of the glass bits to the frame...1/8" for clearance. This glass is called tempered or safety tempered....for your safety! With a piece of cardboard on the frame side, trace onto it from the other side to get your visual opening or day light opening. Add to that size the amount of glass you scraped off to get the actual glass size. Also measure with a tape measure the sizes you traced onto cardboard and write them down. As a rule the glass is square or rectangular with only the corners being round. So now you have the shape and the corner curve, bring it to a glass shop with some of the glass bits so they can order either clear, shaded or mirror faced glass to match and thickness ( 3mm or 1/8" most likely), in the intirum get a piece of plexiglass from the HD or Lowes and try your hand at being a fix it guy
Len, journeyman glazier (a glass guy)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You could also contact HL Customer Service with your VIN# to get a price on a replacement. Looking at my sliding window (may not be same as yours), the only thing attached to the slider is the metal handle at the center. The glass rides in a plastic channel in the track above and below. You will probably have to remove the screen and then channel in the track to replace the slider. It appears that the "handle" is cut back enough so that the channel will clear it so you can slip the new window into it and then replace the "assembly" into the tracks.

Sakool

I removed the screen and the handle latch. But I couldn't lift the sliding glass up or down to get it out of the track. Do I need to remove the entire window assembly (sliding and fix windows) from the camper by removing all the screws around the window on the inside? Or is there a way I can pull just the sliding window insert out and leave the frame assembly in place?

CactusTwo

No, you don't need to remove the frame, main frame or slider frame to repair the glass or to measure as I explained earlier. Do not remove the lock but maybe the screen if is in the way of measuring. Honestly, I do this for a living, glass that is.

Sakool

Ok I see what you mean now. Off to the local glass shop in the morning to see if they can make a new one.