Diesel Generator instead of Gas or LP

Youngbuck

We just ordered a BigHorn Silverado including the generator prep. I don't think the LP generator would meet our needs as the Onan sounds like a propane hog. We also drive a diesel, so wouldn't want to add a third fuel in going with gas. Is there any reason I couldn't have a diesel generator permanently installed in the Silverado? Thanks

jimtoo

Hi Youngbuck,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I will agree with you on the diesel genny. I don't know of any reason why you could not install one... don't know if the factory will install a diesel, but you could have your dealer check. If you have placed the order, you need to check right away.

Enjoy the forum and the wait for your new BigHorn.

Jim M

Urban350

The only problem I could see is fuel source/storage. I know the tanks on my Cyclone are not rated for diesel.

brianharrison

I know diesel gennys are installed in factory motorhomes etc, they are typically larger units from my knowledge (8000 watt or higher). My concern with installing an aftermarket diesel genny would be the potential smell of diesel fuel in the 5th wheel, both from the diesel holding tank (fuel tank), lines and vapor systems (breathers and exhaust). I was once in a motorhome (front engine) that had been converted from gasser to diesel and whew, what a smell with the diesel fumes/exhaust. It permiated the whole unit, even while parked after a long time......

The LP consumption is a valid concern - maybe there is an option to add a larger (automotive?) style horizontal LP tank to the trailer? Just a thought.

My 2 cents.....

Brian

wdk450

I thought about this long and hard, did my research, found that diesel generators are much heavier than gas/propane. I finally settled on a Boily 3000/3600 watt portable gas generator, which I now keep in my truck between the hitch and the cross bed toolbox, along with a couple of jerry cans. I also bought a 30 amp RV extention cord at WalMart. I have sucessfully used this setup boondocking several times.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I would love to switch to a Diesel 5500 Onan. My current Gas Onan will burn 30gals in 40hrs of run time. That is pretty horrible if you ask me.

We looked at a used trailer before buying this one. It had a 5500 Diesel Onan in it. The owner said it burned about 6 gals per 24hrs running the 15kbtu A/C along with the rest of the RV.

danemayer

The Onan manuals specify fuel consumption for the same generator using different fuels. As I recall, there's some difference, but it's not that much. With the big fluctuations we see in the pricing of LP, Diesel and Gasoline, I'm not sure I'd have confidence that I'd save money on one choice or the other over time. At the moment, it seems like the abundant supply of LP is keeping prices relatively low whereas Diesel and Gasoline are pretty high. Will that change - undoubtedly.

If you're planning on a lot of generator runtime, where to keep the fuel tank(s) and how close you are to a refuel location are probably the bigger questions.

lwmcguir

I would love to switch to a Diesel 5500 Onan. My current Gas Onan will burn 30gals in 40hrs of run time. That is pretty horrible if you ask me.

We looked at a used trailer before buying this one. It had a 5500 Diesel Onan in it. The owner said it burned about 6 gals per 24hrs running the 15kbtu A/C along with the rest of the RV.
Our Diesel generator has quite a bit more vibration than the gas or LP units. It is older so maybe the newer ones are cushioned better with vibration absorbers. If not it will shake you.

porthole

Retired
All depends on how much you want to spend. I have stood next to 50-100 KW gensets and you barely knew it were running.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
All depends on how much you want to spend. I have stood next to 50-100 KW gensets and you barely knew it were running.

THose are units that have as much engineering invested in sound deading as they do in the engine/generator. I have used many 400Kw units offshore, Surprisingly Grecko makes a very quiet unit for the size. 20ft away and you question if it is that unit running or not.

dpnila

I thought about this long and hard, did my research, found that diesel generators are much heavier than gas/propane. I finally settled on a Boily 3000/3600 watt portable gas generator, which I now keep in my truck between the hitch and the cross bed toolbox, along with a couple of jerry cans. I also bought a 30 amp RV extention cord at WalMart. I have sucessfully used this setup boondocking several times.

We want to have a generator too for the times we do not have elec hookup, but worried about people walking off with the generator out of the back of the truck. What did you do to make sure people arent able to just grab it and go.?

danemayer

We want to have a generator too for the times we do not have elec hookup, but worried about people walking off with the generator out of the back of the truck. What did you do to make sure people arent able to just grab it and go.?
Hi dpnila,
Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. I'm sure you'll find a lot of useful information and a lot of friendly people who are willing to help out by sharing what they've learned.

I have an air compressor in the bed of my truck that's secured by a locking cable through the compressor's handle. The other end of the cable goes to a d-ring bracket secured to the bed with one-way security screws. The bracket and screws came from Home Depot.

wdk450

I bought a special high security hardened chain and special lock for locking down motorcycles off of E-Bay for about $50. I have the generator locked to the fifth wheel hitch with this chain.