ATF: Big Country - Small Battery

I was having trouble with my battery and was told by my dealer that the battery that my selling dealer installed was way too small for a RV with 3 slides . It came with a sealed group 24. I went ahead and installed a deep cycle group 27 and he also recommended installing a second battery which I did. Curious what other people think about for this.

Jim
2009 BC 3285
2006 F350 FX4 Lariat

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
I've installed two die- hard group 31's. this works for me as we dry camp more than we use hookups. I also use a honda 3000 genny and a 15 watt solar panel. would like to up the solar up to about 300 watts or more,in the future,so I can use the generator less. even with two batteries you have to watch your power usage.

CliffP

What troubles were you having with your battery? Did he sell you the new batteries? Are you boondocking? IMHO (people will let you know if they feel differently) you shouldn't have to upgrade batteries unless you plan to boondock.

The battery would not take a charge. My dealer recommended not using a sealed battery because you can't check the water level. The box could take a group 27 even though the dealer put in a group 24. I went to the larger battery. My previous trailer had 2 batteries and several of my friends that have RVs have 2 batteries in their units. Most of the time we are on electrical power but occasionally we boondocks.

Jim Bonhote
2009 BC 3285
2006 F350 Lariat 6.0 diesel.

danemayer

Jim, my original battery was a group 27, but had a pretty short life. After 1 year it was pretty marginal on holding charge. Just operating the slides and leveling system twice would drain it enough that it might not do a 3rd cycle and didn't have enough power left to crank the generator.

I put in 2 group 27 deep cycle Eveready batteries last December.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Jim, if your still on the first battery in your 2009 trailer, it may just be near the end of it's normal 5 year life span. My 3400 came with a 24 series from the dealer as well, when it was time I put in a group 27. We never boondock so a single 27 was what I thought best for us even thought the 24 never had a problem.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Our original seemed marginal when we got the rig. We don't boondock, but had a power outage in Colorado and temps were in the teens, so battery life to run the furnace was critical!! After that trip we upgraded. We went with a group 29, just had to get a bigger box. (no room for two batteries without major modifications). But now no issues with battery life as we use it.

Sumo

We often boondock, so I've add a inverter, 4 6 volt battery s, and 3000 watt generator.
Works great.